Why is Rico not getting a shot?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Rico had a FANTASTIC pre season last year and than they sidelined him all season with some mysterious head injury that I still dont believe.

And Stephen talks like he doeent really care for him

That dude is a baller, given him a shot!

What are you talking about?

They were trying to teach him to play football the year before last.

Last year he go a concussion in a really nasty looking play.

And this year has not started yet with Jason Witten retiring.

How is he not getting a shot?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Rico had a FANTASTIC pre season last year and than they sidelined him all season with some mysterious head injury that I still dont believe.

:huh::facepalm:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Not really. Suppose he's supposed to set the edge for a jet sweep that he doesn't and now you have a 7 yard loss instead of 15 yard gain. Or he misses the chip on blitzing LB and your QB gets torpedoed for a loss or injury. It's about being a COMPLETE TE, not just a down-the-seam pass catcher. It would be nice to see Rico develop and be a quality NFL TE, but I seriously doubt he's there at this point.

Like I said... You have multiple TE's on the roster.

I understand the benefit of having an all around TE but I also understand the benefit of big plays and how they correlate to winning.

Evan Engram, he's a great example up in New York. The guy can't block but he's a lethal player.

I want our team to get out of this mentality that they are always having to defend against the Negative and go try and attack with some Positivity.

Big plays correlate to winning. It's a huge stat. Geoff Swaim isn't contributing to that stat. He's just not.

HellCrowe

Reaction score

A lot that goes behind the scenes and to become a football player. Shoot I hope he pans out because he will be a nightmare. However, all these late rounders and udfa all fall in the category of “potential.” More so Rico as he is re learning the game.

His opportunity will come by how he has done this off season how he practices and demeanor going through camp. Is he a football player? That’s the biggest question.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No way was it a season ending injury.

The Cowboys knew he would never clear waivers so they put him on season ending IR and trotted out Swaim and Hanna.

Probably true that it wasn't a season ending injury, but it cost I think 6 games to put him on IR to begin the season, so maybe after that they felt it would be detrimental, or at least not beneficial, to make a change at that point.

Last edited:

Sepia

Reaction score
It seems weird. I think maybe his attitude is something off-putting. Remember his helmet-throwing incident in training camp last year? I don’t know, but I hope to see him play.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score

This, I was like really? The whole year!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Who said he's not getting a shot? Stephen Jones said he's a work in progress, which is absolutely true at this point. McClay praised him and essentially said we'll see what he becomes, which again is true.

The tight end job is up for grabs. Rico is more raw that players who have been playing football since high school, even the rookies we've brought in. It's up to him to progress to the point where he can take that job and be trusted to handle all facets of it.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Rico is still learning. I'm sure he understands some concepts by now maybe even enough to put him in the rotation. But after his concussion, with his headaches lingering it was safer to stash him on ir knowing he would only get 1 or 2 snaps a game anyway. Now with Wit gone there is not a clear guy who is outstanding at running routes, catching, blocking, etc. Maybe these coaches will finally start finding ways to get other players involved.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
They’re not gonna play Rico until he’s composed his HOF acceptance speech.

While he may already be the G.O.A.T at the TE position, his speech-writing skills need a lotta work.

He's going to be the first player to perform his speech as a rap song.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I read a long while back that in addition to the concussion that Rico sustained, his jaw was broken in two places. He was held out for his own protection last year and should be ready to continue his development in TC. In terms of his mental preparedness, I wouldn't be surprised if it took him well into the season before he is able to be fully prepared to compete. That may well be why Stephen was so guarded in his assessment of him. I'll be pulling for him to make up for lost time and finally do well. He'll get his chances, though; I'm very confident of that.

Last edited:

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Maybe we go a year with what we have, but if he doesn't show signs of potential next season, we really have to address TE long term.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

The injury is exactly why he didn't see the field.

Baller? Based on what, not starting a football game since middle school?

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Maybe he should actually concentrate on learning how to play the TE position in the NFL rather than all the other nonsense he's involved in. I have no problem when established players devote time to other interests (as long as it doesn't interfere with their on-field performance), but Rico has not played a single down in a game that actually counts. Just a thought.

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
I don't think that they will have a choice but to put him on the field this season.