Why is Rico not getting a shot?

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
At times he seems like he's not a 100% focused on football.....that's something the coaching staff needs to figure out in TC........if he's just here for a paycheck, then they need to send him on down the road and not waste anymore time on him.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
The siren song of potential, measurables and hype has sent many a fan crashing onto the jagged rocks of disappointment.
The team has held onto Rico for two years because of potential, he has the physical attributes that can't be coached, but it's up to him with hard work and commitment to turn into skill. Potential is nothing without the desire, drive and work ethic to make that potential a reality. At this point, it's up to Rico to prove himself.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
Who said Rico's not getting a shot, it was just an interview. Garrett has a lot of faults but I doubt he doles out training camp reps with Stevens comments as a barometer.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Not really. Suppose he's supposed to set the edge for a jet sweep that he doesn't and now you have a 7 yard loss instead of 15 yard gain. Or he misses the chip on blitzing LB and your QB gets torpedoed for a loss or injury.

6-6, 290. Learning to block would is the low hanging fruit for Rico to get on the field, but I don't think he realizes it. Huge guy with soft hands *who can block* is a short yardage and goal line weapon.

CWR

Reaction score
I love how people play ignorant. The OP wants to know why Rico isnt getting a shot.

Its a valid, although possibly false question. Meaning maybe he is, or maybe he isnt.

Based on the complete lack of hype from an ownership that loves to hype, one could be led to believe Rico isnt getting a realistic oppurtunity to start.

My feeling is that Rico isnt focused on football. Weve all seen him put the cart in front of the horse. On social media hes already informed us hes a great, and "the next big thing at TE." We've seen him counting his money and feeling very accomplished in general.

Listening to all of the "work in progress" chatter it does appear perhaps management thinks he needs to be working more on the playbook and his blocking assignments rather than self promotion.

Last preseason we saw a guy with a unique skill set and he was exciting. This guy looked ready to explode onto the seen. However, the fact he isnt being talked up (from this management) seems to point to the fact he is deficient in other areas of his game.

Of course this is all speculation but we have seen trends from this team over the years. When has Jerry ever not been at the front of the hype train??

My conclusion is unless Rico becomes a film buff and works his tail off in practice his transition into the nfl will soon fizzle out.

Im pulling for him but Im off the hype train, its been derailed by his and the teams social media.

JustChip

Reaction score
6-6, 290. Learning to block would is the low hanging fruit for Rico to get on the field, but I don't think he realizes it. Huge guy with soft hands *who can block* is a short yardage and goal line weapon.

And why would he realize it if follows the posts on here. The vast majority of posts don't care if can block - they've already got him labeled as Gronk 2.0.

Lutonio

Reaction score
Maybe his blocking? Especially if they want to emphasize the run game.

jday

Reaction score
Rico had a FANTASTIC pre season last year and than they sidelined him all season with some mysterious head injury that I still dont believe.

And Stephen talks like he doeent really care for him

That dude is a baller, given him a shot!
At a guess, I'd say his RKG numbers are low.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He'll certainly get his shot this year. It's been speculated by many here, which I agree, that Rico was placed on IR in order to prevent him from being nabbed from our PS. Not to say his initial injury wasn't real but there wasn't the room for him with our deep TE situation last year.

I'm excited to see him return and where he's at in his development - he's got the measurables and showed some serious flash last year
My thoughts also. They paid him extra the year before to stay on our PS. This year he had a injury. Head injury with a concussion. I remember Irvin had a concussion that took him more than the normal time to get back from.

They stashed him on IR. This should be his year.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they’re intrigued with Gathers. They just like Jarwin better as an all around player.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Rico had a FANTASTIC pre season last year and than they sidelined him all season with some mysterious head injury that I still dont believe.

And Stephen talks like he doeent really care for him

That dude is a baller, given him a shot!
fantastic pre-season? well, I would kool off a bit. he played ok. he played against 3rd stringers and it was obvious his blocking both in run and pass left a lot to be desired. he is very raw in technique and pass protection....on the field he would get Dak killed. TE is not just about running routes and catching passes. also, he has the size, good hands and speed, but also very raw in route running. you can't blow away by people and out muscle them all the time.

he is a work in progress. I think Stephen is right on point.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I have a hard time believing if he was truly ready, they wouldn't let him go. Jerry would be all over the "basketball player turned All Pro like Gates" media buzz. I'm thinking it's preparation....knowing the playbook, knowing his assignments, etc. Many guys come out with the terms engrained in their heads through football. He has none of that.
reality!!!! but people don't like to hear that.....he had a great pre-season, so let get him sized for a yellow jacket. lots of players have great preseasons...and amount to nothing.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Like I said... You have multiple TE's on the roster.

I understand the benefit of having an all around TE but I also understand the benefit of big plays and how they correlate to winning.

Evan Engram, he's a great example up in New York. The guy can't block but he's a lethal player.

I want our team to get out of this mentality that they are always having to defend against the Negative and go try and attack with some Positivity.

Big plays correlate to winning. It's a huge stat. Geoff Swaim isn't contributing to that stat. He's just not.
there is a degree of truth to that, but also some draw backs...I think Graham is better in blocking and chipping than Rico. although he is not as good as witten or gronk or the likes. but if graham is in, then it tips the play. he is going enroute...he is not staying in to block and if he does, the DE and rusher is licking his chops...

so just depends on how you scheme and how you use them and the rest of the team, like having viable threats in WRs that can separate or go down field. like having a TE that can run more than seam route. players limitations get quickly exposed in the NFL and defensive coaches quickly counter it...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Something doesn't add up on this whole thing. What we saw in the pre-season, and McClay saying that the sky's the limit, are incongruent with the (seeming) lack of enthusiasm from Stephen and Jason, as well as McClay's quip that "it's up to him to prove it."

The only thing I can think of that could possible explain this weird picture is if Rico does indeed have the talent, but has too much drama surrounding him, which might be interfering with his ability to reach his ultimate potential.

All of this is wild conjecture of course - as pointed out earlier, we don't have a complete picture of what is going on at the facility, but I have a sneaking suspicion that one of the goals this year is to get rid of any drama which might lead to distraction.

Something tells me that for this organization, eliminating distractions will be easier said than done!
I think it maybe multi fold issue with Rico. He may have the physical skills, but not the talent to play football, i.e. proper route running, foot placing, cutting, blocking, back peddling, hand placement, defensive recognition, etc. raw physical ability will only get you through preseason. if not for all of that, any Olympic 100 meter runner would be a good WR....Rico may end up being a great athelete, but not a good football player.

cowboyec

Reaction score
how the hell is he not getting a shot?

some might ask what the hell has he done to warrant so much attention but thats a different discussion for a different day.
they go out of their way to protect him and hide him away for fear of being poached...they dont provide that level of protection for anyone else...he'll get a shot at it.

is he ready???