Why is Rico not getting a shot?

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
Maybe he should actually concentrate on learning how to play the TE position in the NFL rather than all the other nonsense he's involved in. I have no problem when established players devote time to other interests (as long as it doesn't interfere with their on-field performance), but Rico has not played a single down in a game that actually counts. Just a thought.
Right. These guys should be kept in cages until it's time for workouts, film study, practice, and games?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No way was it a season ending injury.

The Cowboys knew he would never clear waivers so they put him on season ending IR and trotted out Swaim and Hanna.

Well they didn't really trot out Swaim and Hanna...because as long as Witten was there, they never got on the field as much anyway.

JustChip

Reaction score
Like I said... You have multiple TE's on the roster.

I understand the benefit of having an all around TE but I also understand the benefit of big plays and how they correlate to winning.

Evan Engram, he's a great example up in New York. The guy can't block but he's a lethal player.

I want our team to get out of this mentality that they are always having to defend against the Negative and go try and attack with some Positivity.

Big plays correlate to winning. It's a huge stat. Geoff Swaim isn't contributing to that stat. He's just not.

I agree with big plays, but if all Rico can do is run one or two routes and is a liability in run blocking and pass protection, then he doesn't need to be on the field. Otherwise, he's simply a decoy because defenses will take away what limited functions he can perform. Let's not try to make him the 2nd coming of Gronk. As far as Engram, I would venture to guess that, given he's played organized football throughout high school, college and now the NFL, that he's light years ahead of Rico and not a liability when on the field.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I read a long while back that in addition to the concussion that Rico sustained, his jaw was broken in two places. He was held out for his own protection last year and should be ready to continue his development in TC. In terms of his mental preparedness, I wouldn't be surprised if it took him well into the season before he is able to be fully prepared to compete. That may well be why Stephen was so guarded in his assessment of him. I'll be pulling for him to make up for lost time and finally do well. He'll get his chances, though; I'm very confident of that.

Thank you, I knew there was some type of jaw injury, but broken in 2 places, and lingering effects of a very bad concussion. Like Luke Keuchly missed what, 6 games on his, then when they were eliminated from the playoffs, the y held him out for precautions the last 2 games.

Sepia

Reaction score
All I remember is Will McClay saying in 2016 that Rico, on the scout team with Tony, was incapable of being defended. Apparently, he was an incredible red zone threat in practice. He should see the field this year.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I read a long while back that in addition to the concussion that Rico sustained, his jaw was broken in two places. He was held out for his own protection last year and should be ready to continue his development in TC. In terms of his mental preparedness, I wouldn't be surprised if it took him well into the season before he is able to be fully prepared to compete. That may well be why Stephen was so guarded in his assessment of him. I'll be pulling for him to make up for lost time and finally do well. He'll get his chances, though; I'm very confident of that.

I read there was an issue with damage to his mandibular nerve due to the broken jaw, and that is why his pain lingered. That also has the potential to impact your balance because of proximity to the Eustachian tube. My best friend experience real problems this last year due to an problem with his inner ear, which resulted in severe vertigo for a few months.

I just think it is wrong to assume the Cowboys "stashed" Gathers, and that his injury was both real and serious. After the way he flashed in training camp, I simply don't believe the Cowboys wouldn't have taken advantage of his skills if he was healthy enough to play.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
Rico had a FANTASTIC pre season last year and than they sidelined him all season with some mysterious head injury that I still dont believe.

And Stephen talks like he doeent really care for him

That dude is a baller, given him a shot!
He looked good against guys that went home after the preseason was over.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I read there was an issue with damage to his mandibular nerve due to the broken jaw, and that is why his pain lingered. That also has the potential to impact your balance because of proximity to the Eustachian tube. My best friend experience real problems this last year due to an problem with his inner ear, which resulted in severe vertigo for a few months.

I just think it is wrong to assume the Cowboys "stashed" Gathers, and that his injury was both real and serious. After the way he flashed in training camp, I simply don't believe the Cowboys wouldn't have taken advantage of his skills if he was healthy enough to play.

Good to see a bit more detail on that injury, since it doesn't really make sense that they'd hold him out for the remainder of last season for no valid reason. He had been doing well and was progressing satisfactorily up until that point in time. It'd be great if he's able to continue his development this year and become skillful enough to take the field at some point during the season. I'm sure we'll all be keeping tabs on him in hopes of that being a realistic possibility. His physical talent certainly seems promising of him becoming a real offensive threat.

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Rico had a FANTASTIC pre season last year and than they sidelined him all season with some mysterious head injury that I still dont believe.

Right now it is not a matter of giving a shot it is a matter of guys going out and earning it. If Cowboys did not want him around he would be gone so I don't think this has anything to do with personality it has to do with how much understanding Rico has in the role of TE in terms or assignments, routs and blocking. I have no doubt they will be watching all these young TE carefully during OTA, mini camps and training camps as well as pre season.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
I’m sorry but I missed the “quote” from anyone within the Dallas Cowboy organization that said they weren't going to give him a shot.

Where is that quote?

Ddisco22

Reaction score

Who??????...lol
all we hear is the name

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
TE has a ridiculously steep learning curve under the best circumstances. It's basically learning two positions. Coming into the NFL with virtually no experience isn't the best of circumstances.

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
Something doesn't add up on this whole thing. What we saw in the pre-season, and McClay saying that the sky's the limit, are incongruent with the (seeming) lack of enthusiasm from Stephen and Jason, as well as McClay's quip that "it's up to him to prove it."

The only thing I can think of that could possible explain this weird picture is if Rico does indeed have the talent, but has too much drama surrounding him, which might be interfering with his ability to reach his ultimate potential.

All of this is wild conjecture of course - as pointed out earlier, we don't have a complete picture of what is going on at the facility, but I have a sneaking suspicion that one of the goals this year is to get rid of any drama which might lead to distraction.

Something tells me that for this organization, eliminating distractions will be easier said than done!

LittleD

Reaction score
Which IMO is a horrible reason when you consider his potential big play ability and the fact you can have multiple TE's on the roster.

But... That's probably one of the many reasons why our pass game was just about non-existent and big plays were hard to come by.

The film is there if you want to view it. The reason the pass game was lousy is that Dak couldn't throw a WR open if his life depended on it and
he couldn't hit a WR on the move if it was the size of a barn door.

LittleD

Reaction score
Right. These guys should be kept in cages until it's time for workouts, film study, practice, and games?

Of course that's nonsense but, Rico is not Witten and so far the reports are that he's not working that hard at standing in Witten's footsteps.
Stephen and McClain know who is working hard to improve and who is lounging on the couch.