Why is Tavon Austin an after thought?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Tavon Austin probably should have been moved to a scat back/receiving back option early on in his career. Probably would have had some good years in a Patriots/Saints type scheme.

It's too late now. He'll be forgotten and only brought up in "top 10 Rams busts of the 2010s" lists.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Look at his touches...not his fault.

It’s his fault he ended up a gadget player. Gadget players don’t get many touches. If we ran the jet sweep all the time he would be pretty good. He has game breaking speed but what he doesn’t have is reliability, consistency or natural receiver ability which is why his touches are limited.

johneric8

Reaction score
Then what was the Rams’ Boy Genius’ problem? He had his worst heard as a pro under McVeigh.

I don't think much of McVeigh quite honestly so I'm not a subscriber to the genius tag, but Tavon hasn't been used enough while healthy that is pretty much it in my opinion. I truly believe that the cowboys under Jason Garrett were victims of the "BRO" concept, meaning Garrett started his pets and was stuck in his ways. Not saying Tavon is a world beater but he has some skills if healthy.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Because he's a bad football player.

He's never been a productive player in the NFL, anywhere. There's nothing there to unlock.
You can't be a bad player with that vision and speed. Maybe not used correctly.

32BellyOption

Reaction score

I think if he got more than one or two touches a game he’d produce. Hard for any player to makes plays with that few chances.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
I am not sure why you guys try so hard to make the dumbest post of the day but you do.

Almost every snap Tavon saw in Dallas was at the expense of better players.
He has marginal hands, no play strength, lacks any size whatsoever and can't beat people with route-running.

But yes he is fast. Or was at 22.

So taking away a pass to Witten standing flat footed three yards from the LOS and getting it to Tavon in open space is a bad play?

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Two different teams have tried to use him many different and none of them have worked.
I don't know what else to say. Just seems like a waste.

Honest Question, Is Ruggs III similar or is he another level? Small guy. 4.27 40. 5' 10" 185 Basketball player turn to football. Is it all about athletics at that level?

Last edited:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't know what else to say. Just seems like a waste.

Honest Question, Is Ruggs III similar or is he another level? Small guy. 4.27 40. Basketball player turn to football. Is it all about athletics at that level?
The only thing thats similar is the speed. Ruggs is an actual WR. Ruggs is 6' 190 to Austins 5'9 170. Tavon Austin was only productive in college because of the offense he played. And even in that offense he was a playmaker. He averaged about 11 yards a catch in college.

joseephuss

Reaction score
The only thing thats similar is the speed. Ruggs is an actual WR. Ruggs is 6' 190 to Austins 5'9 170. Tavon Austin was only productive in college because of the offense he played. And even in that offense he was a playmaker. He averaged about 11 yards a catch in college.

And in his senior season he went against the no-defense BigXII.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because he’s not a very good NFL player.

Flamma

Reaction score

You can still be a crap WR regardless of speed. Devin Hester was crap at WR and he's twice the punt returner Austin is. Austin just isn't a good WR in the NFL, what else will the Cowboys use him for?

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
You can still be a crap WR regardless of speed. Devin Hester was crap at WR and he's twice the punt returner Austin is. Austin just isn't a good WR in the NFL, what else will the Cowboys use him for?

Agree and Alexander Wright says hello. He had tons of speed but gave us nothing at receiver.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We had the worst special teams in the league. Just imagine if we only have to travel 55 yards for a touchdown rather than 80 Point in my opinion that’s all he would he was good for