Why is Tavon Austin an after thought?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think at the height of his physical abilities you make a great point, last year it seemed apparent to me that he didn’t quite have the same giddy-up as younger Tay. He still can run faster and is quicker than the average guy, but his elite elusiveness and foot speed is no longer one of the top in the league. You can find 20-25 of him around the NFL at this point. Love the dude though super competitive and funny.

Austin's arrow is down, and we have a bigger, stronger, younger version of the hybrid RB/WR in Pollard.

I like Austin. When we gave him touches, he prouced. He's one of those guys we should have used more. Like Smith. Even Olawale. But now we've got a better version of Austin in Pollard. Austin no longer makes sense for us.

Carson

Reaction score
Wouldn’t mind spending a late pick on Joe Reed from Virginia.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Getting Fassel in here is probably his death warrant.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Austin seems injury prone and inconsistent to me. Could I be wrong about that? Sure, but I doubt it. :grin:

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Why can't Dallas use his talents? Crazy.

Why?

Honestly other than punt returns we have a bigger and so far more reliable version of Tavon in Pollard. Some want Pollard to evolve at the detriment of Zeke losing reps but the evolution of Pollard is taking Tavons reps while continuing to be a reliable change of pace for Zeke.

Carson

Reaction score
Honestly other than punt returns we have a bigger and so far more reliable version of Tavon in Pollard. Some want Pollard to evolve at the detriment of Zeke losing reps but the evolution of Pollard is taking Tavons reps while continuing to be a reliable change of pace for Zeke.

Pollard was an electric kick returner.

He returned two punts in four years at Memphis. 0 his senior year.

Not saying he cannot or won’t do it. Just will need to work with Bones.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey, that's great! Tavon Austin has now elevated himself to the level of afterthought!

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
There is a definate role that Tavon Austin was filling but it only needs to be filled by one guy and that guy is now Tony Pollard. Anything Tavon can do, Pollard can do better. Sorry, Tavon but you are out.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Pollard was an electric kick returner.

He returned two punts in four years at Memphis. 0 his senior year.

Not saying he cannot or won’t do it. Just will need to work with Bones.
I personally dont see a punt returner in Pollard. However, as you noted there arent many examples of him punt returning to get a true assessment of his ability.

cowboyec

Reaction score
ask his coaches...here,there...everywhere.

:thumbup:James Proche,Smu:flagwave:

SSoup

Reaction score
Because he flashes about twice a season.
Yup. It's not a great sign when a guy is a 30-year old veteran with 7 years of NFL experience and you have to deputize his high school and college highlight reels into the argument for how good you think he can be.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Yup. It's not a great sign when a guy is a 30-year old veteran with 7 years of NFL experience and you have to deputize his high school and college highlight reels into the argument for how good you think he can be.
I covered all levels, but ok. I'm the whipping boy today..:laugh: it's all good, Just wanted him to pass with a clean conscience. I'm over it now. Just seems we have had lesser talent stick around longer. maybe its just me. How long did that safety/QB last? cant remember his name, it escapes me at the moment.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Tavon Austin is a little man playing a big man's game. Certainly, he's at a disadvantage from the start. He's also very prone to inconsistency. That's fairly obvious from anyone taking an objective perspective. I hope Coach Fassell, being unfamiliar, knows better than to see him with rose colored glasses. It's not as though he hasn't had his chances to prove himself but obviously, he just hasn't. Maybe he'll catch on with another team but I hope it's not Dallas. I suspect he'll always be vulnerable to injury, though, for someone with such limited durability.

Last edited:

SSoup

Reaction score
I covered all levels, but ok. I'm the whipping boy today..:laugh: it's all good, Just wanted him to pass with a clean conscience. I'm over it now. Just seems we have had lesser talent stick around longer. maybe its just me.
He's talented. But he's been around long enough that the lack of results kind of *is* the definitive answer on what he's about.

He played for 4 head coaches (Fisher, Fassel, McVay, Garrett) and 6 different offensive coordinators (Schottenheimer, Cignetti, Boras, LaFleur, Linehan, and Moore). And he was a top 10 pick, who everyone knew his pedigree and his talent, and was plenty invested in getting something out of him.

If he was a nobody who honestly never got a fair shake because his teams were never invested in him, that's one thing. If he unfairly wound up in the dog house with one head coach or a coordinator or two who didn't mesh with him, you chalk it up to bad timing and you want to see him get a fresh start with new people. But he's had 3 fresh starts with different head coaches and 5 fresh starts with different coordinators).

I think it is what it is at this point.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
He's talented. But he's been around long enough that the lack of results kind of *is* the definitive answer on what he's about.

He played for 4 head coaches (Fisher, Fassel, McVay, Garrett) and 6 different offensive coordinators (Schottenheimer, Cignetti, Boras, LaFleur, Linehan, and Moore). And he was a top 10 pick, who everyone knew his pedigree and his talent, and was plenty invested in getting something out of him.

If he was a nobody who honestly never got a fair shake because his teams were never invested in him, that's one thing. If he unfairly wound up in the dog house with one head coach or a coordinator or two who didn't mesh with him, you chalk it up to bad timing and you want to see him get a fresh start with new people. But he's had 3 fresh starts with different head coaches and 5 fresh starts with different coordinators).

I think it is what it is at this point.
Fair enough..