Why is Tavon Austin an after thought?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I covered all levels, but ok. I'm the whipping boy today..:laugh: it's all good, Just wanted him to pass with a clean conscience. I'm over it now. Just seems we have had lesser talent stick around longer. maybe its just me. How long did that safety/QB last? cant remember his name, it escapes me at the moment.
Showers? He covered kicks. Those players tend to stick around even if you dont notice. Plus he is playing league minimum. Thats makes a difference. Austin is a veteran, and even the min is expensive for what he brings. His slot on the depth can be replaced by a late round pick or even a UDFA

JayFord

Reaction score
The previous coaching staff never used the vast amount of talent they were gifted

we’ll see what mike does

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Showers? He covered kicks. Those players tend to stick around even if you dont notice. Plus he is playing league minimum. Thats makes a difference. Austin is a veteran, and even the min is expensive for what he brings. His slot on the depth can be replaced by a late round pick or even a UDFA
Thank you sir.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I covered all levels, but ok. I'm the whipping boy today..:laugh: it's all good, Just wanted him to pass with a clean conscience. I'm over it now. Just seems we have had lesser talent stick around longer. maybe its just me. How long did that safety/QB last? cant remember his name, it escapes me at the moment.
Dont post with your heart lol

kskboys

Reaction score
He's just a gadget player. Doesn't run good enough routes to be an outside/slot WR. Despite his speed, he's not really a standout punt/kick returner either. Maybe if he had gotten drafted to the right situation, he could have had a different career but at this point...he's just depth.
Or if he hadn't been so grossly overdrafted

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Or if he hadn't been so grossly overdrafted
speed kills...it's like crack. I don't have any other words. You don't know until you know. many men are going to be drafted in a couple days that don't live up. Hind sight is 20/20 Life would be great in a mirror. Good luck.

kskboys

Reaction score
speed kills...it's like crack. I don't have any other words. You don't know until you know. many men are going to be drafted in a couple days that don't live up. Hind sight is 20/20 Life would be great in a mirror. Good luck.
What makes you think I'm using hindsight to judge? Offhand, that's a strange conclusion.

Austin is/was a lightly built burner. There are only so many uses for those types, and they very seldom stay healthy. And he was listed as a late 1st/early 2nd type talent, which makes LARams drafting him 8th overall an "overdraft".

Were you one of the ones who fell for the hoopla, maybe?

Life would be great in a mirror. More weirdness. Are you trying to be clever? Good luck.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
What makes you think I'm using hindsight to judge? Offhand, that's a strange conclusion.

Austin is/was a lightly built burner. There are only so many uses for those types, and they very seldom stay healthy. And he was listed as a late 1st/early 2nd type talent, which makes LARams drafting him 8th overall an "overdraft".

Were you one of the ones who fell for the hoopla, maybe?

Life would be great in a mirror. More weirdness. Are you trying to be clever? Good luck.
yeah, hoopla and dreams. All you can do is run angles on a guy like that. If you miss its over. Maybe he will stick around for the cheap after the draft. Someone will take him at some point. 5 plays a game and a couple punt or kick returns is fine by me. I guess i'm wrong here and thats fine.

Cmac

Reaction score
At this point...….age, value, and use. Gadgets not needed, consistent play making is.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Speed is useless if you can’t run routes. Think of speed like a 100 mph fastball in baseball, it will get you drafted but if your fastball doesn’t move, doesn’t matter how fast it is.

Austin is a gadget play guy because he can’t utilize his speed well. Has a hard time with press coverage, doesn’t run great routes and has a injury history. John Ross is another Tavon Austin.

kskboys

Reaction score
yeah, hoopla and dreams. All you can do is run angles on a guy like that. If you miss its over. Maybe he will stick around for the cheap after the draft. Someone will take him at some point. 5 plays a game and a couple punt or kick returns is fine by me. I guess i'm wrong here and thats fine.
His career hasn't gone that way. He doesn't appear to be "field fast".

Not sure what you mean by "hoopla and dreams".

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
His career hasn't gone that way. He doesn't appear to be "field fast".

Not sure what you mean by "hoopla and dreams".
I just meant i self medicated myself into seeing more than was real. These are the good discussion threads the forum needs. What i took from this one is there is potential there but, it just doesn't translate to the field at this level for several reasons.

I don't mind being wrong and i appreciate the discussion.