Why is the defense much better the past 2 games?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My theory is dirty laundry! Players tried to revolt. It backfired with fans and media. Now leaders are stepping up. That may be far fetched but really strange we went from quitters to hardest working guys

I was going to say 'buy in'. It seems to me that once the team sent away the veterans who didn't buy in, the remaining players really started to buy in to the defense. There's clearly addition by subtraction that's happened since Poe, Worley, and Griffen left.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
My theory is dirty laundry! Players tried to revolt. It backfired with fans and media. Now leaders are stepping up. That may be far fetched but really strange we went from quitters to hardest working guys
Bingo. Bad influences on weak character. They thought they were going to ride the revolt to easy payday. Once their little brain can realize that this could be the end of the line not only here but in the league, effort didn't seem so hard.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
The defense has gotten healthy and notice that the special teams is contributing as well, didn’t see that in 10 years that Garrett was here

aikemirv

Reaction score
The defense has been much better the past 2 games.

It coincides with these 3 playing a high percentage of the snaps.

CB Brown

DE Gregory

LB Vander Esch

Also: Woods, Hamilton & Ankou replacing Poe's snaps on run downs. (just 1 game for Ankou)

It seems there was an attitude than Griffith and Poe brought that just was not well received and caused a bunch of disfunction in the defense.

JMO

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The problem I have with Poe is the people playing Poe. No one said you had to play Poe! Evaluation is ongoing
same people who wouldn't play Gallimore. The frustration this organization creates by continuing to do what isn't working is mind boggling at times.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The defense has been much better the past 2 games.

It coincides with these 3 playing a high percentage of the snaps.

CB Brown

DE Gregory

LB Vander Esch

Also: Woods, Hamilton & Ankou replacing Poe's snaps on run downs. (just 1 game for Ankou)
Those guys REALLY help but they are also simply playing harder.
Ankou is fresh so it may be a 1 game mirage but our DTs haven't been in the same universe as they were last night.
Ankou eating actual space and being an issue allowed Gallimore to penetrate a lot.

Also Rangy Gregory is the real deal.
He's added the weight and physically matured.
I'd extend him long before I extended Aldon Smith.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I had no idea Randy Gregory would be disruptive as he is.
He's way better than I expected
Some dudes just have a natural ability to rush that can't be taught. Hopefully Randy can keep himself together on & off the field.
I think Aldon has hit the wall. If he could get his legs back, those two would be dynamite together.

Carter

Reaction score
1.) We cut dead weight (Griffin / Poe)
2.) Gregory, Lee and Brown have returned
3.) LVE has more game speed now
4.) Gallimore is constantly improving and stuffed the middle

Aven8

Reaction score
Those guys REALLY help but they are also simply playing harder.
Ankou is fresh so it may be a 1 game mirage but our DTs haven't been in the same universe as they were last night.
Ankou eating actual space and being an issue allowed Gallimore to penetrate a lot.

Also Rangy Gregory is the real deal.
He's added the weight and physically matured.
I'd extend him long before I extended Aldon Smith.

They actually did extend Gregory so he’s good to go.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
1) Poe was terrible 2) No one has to game plan for us, so look ahead to following game.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Evaluation is ongoing

For two years now i have waited for the obvious and it still doesn't happen. Its mind blowing.
Whenever we need to get down the field quickly, why is Pollard not on the field??
One guy is clearly faster than the other.
One guy is a converted receiver. ie, he might be able to run more than a flat pattern.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
They stopped trying to do so much of that 2-gap nonsense.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
notice that the special teams is contributing as well, didn’t see that in 10 years that Garrett was here
at least they try to make something happen in the return game, right? (why was that so hard?)
Greg has taken the kicking to something better than a 50/50 proposition.

My3Sons

Reaction score
We are first to blame Nolan...I still don’t like him but let’s give credit to where it’s due. He has three guys playing better and improving.
He needed the Joneses to kick Poe off the team before he would play the better players. Hard to give him any credit.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
As bad as Griffen was on the field I think he was even more toxic off the field. So glad they cut him.