Why is the defense much better the past 2 games?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure the defense looked a little better. But that wasn't the case in the 4th quarter. I understand some players were injured, but that's when you adjust your scheme to fit. We didn't do that. Nolan ran the same defensive formation regardless. And Ben R. picked us apart.
Also, I'm getting sick and tired of all of these undisciplined and stupid penalties that spoon feeds the opposing offense. Go ahead and blame the refs for LVE, Gregory etc....handing over 1st downs.

You forgot to mention Jaylon Smith's foolish swat at Rothlesberger's head which turned a fourth down and punt into a fresh set of downs. On the drive where the Steelers ultimately took the game-winning lead.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I can live with losing the game that way. they played hard and lost to a better team. They made stupid mistakes and they are not good enough to overcome them but at least the effort was there. Creating a culture where snaps are earned not handed to you by the Owner makes all the difference in the world. Unfortunately we all know that at the end of the day Jerry will always take over and ruin everything. At least the game was watchable and enjoyable.

conner01

Reaction score
AND players more comfortable with scheme/their assignments. You can see they're attacking and NOT thinking out there now.
I think that’s a big part of it for sure
Practice is very important but there is no real substitute for playing the game live against an opponent
No pre season really hurt the development of the scheme
I no some hate pre season but this season has proven its very important and more so when a team is changing a staff, scheme or just adding many new players and especially rookies

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
You forgot to mention Jaylon Smith's foolish swat at Rothlesberger's head which turned a fourth down and punt into a fresh set of downs. On the drive where the Steelers ultimately took the game-winning lead.
I didn't forget, that was with 7 minutes remaining in the 4th quarter.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't forget, that was with 7 minutes remaining in the 4th quarter.

And? It was one of the dumbest plays of the entire game! And it directly led to the touchdown drive that gave the Steelers the lead.

Are you so much of a Jaylon fan that you have to blind yourself?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
And? It was one of the dumbest plays of the entire game! And it directly led to the touchdown drive that gave the Steelers the lead.

And what?
Dude, what is your deal? I CLEARLY stated that stupid penalties gave away first downs in the 4th quarter. Then, I listed a few players followed by a "etc." I'm sorry that I haven't written up an official vendetta.
I honestly think Smith is pure garbage, but go at someone else with your nonsense.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And what?
Dude, what is your deal? I CLEARLY stated that stupid penalties gave away first downs in the 4th quarter. Then, I listed a few players followed by a "etc." I'm sorry that I haven't written up an official vendetta.
I honestly think Smith is pure garbage, but go at someone else with your nonsense.
Stash does that sometimes...I don’t know why he does it but out of nowhere he will do this on this site.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
PIT's lackluster O helped some, let's see where they are in MN in 2 weeks.

One reason they look better is because they had the worst D, setting new lows, in the NFL in the first 7 games.

Say you've got this girl, nice girl, good cook, makes her own clothes and has a charming personality. Only two problems, she's fat and ugly. She loses some weight but she's still ugly. And then you find out she's just hanging out with larger girls to look thinner.

This team wasn't as ugly yesterday but it is still ugly.

Aven8

Reaction score

And everyone in America knew they would score once that Bozo let them off the hook.......

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And what?

I guess I mistook your omission of Smith's huge penalty as you trying to absolve him of blame. If I misunderstood your intentions, I apologize.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let us know what you think of the new guy we traded for when you get time.
DT Ankou only played 16% of the snaps.

The Steelers are a passing focused offense.

The total snaps for all of their RBs only added up to 65% of the offensive snaps in this game.

That last scoring drive was basically all 4 WRs plus their receiving type TE.

Ankou and hold up to double-teams and he can bull rush when he sees single blocking.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
according to romo they were running the chicago 5 defense, instead of nolans previous scheme.
I need to listen to what he said again.

There has a been a reference to Chicago's Nickel defense being call a 5 defense.

The Cowboy did play Nickel the entire game but that was because of the offensive alignment.

The total snaps for all Steelers RBs added up to 65%.

They played more 4 WR sets than any team the Cowboys have faced this season.