CFZ Why is this not obvious to our FO?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Other people have said it, but it's correlation vs causation. Teams take the air out of the ball in positive game scripts... when we are up 40-0 on the Giants, we're going to call a lot of run plays.

The problem is that Dak is a sum-of-his-parts kind of QB. A better run game would help Dak, but in a vacuum, a better run game would help any QB. From Blake Bortles to Tom Brady.

What Dak can't do is overcome a run game that's wheezing along for 3 YPC and putting him in bad down-and-distance situations. In general, he can take plays that are there, but he lacks the physical talent and the mental anticipation to beat a good defensive call or compensate for bad offensive execution.

If you beat Tom Brady's tackle for a quick pressure, he's going to dump it on a wheel route before you even get there and gain 8 yards. Lamar will take off and burn that defense along that vacated edge. Dak is just going to throw it away or eat the sack.

Brax

Reaction score
Whatever anyone thinks about Dak Prescott as the Cowboys starting QB, unless something really surprising happens soon, he will be the starting QB here at least through the upcoming 2024 season. PLEASE NOTE: This is not a “yay Dak” thread. It’s a “Go Cowboys” thread asking, “What gives us the best chance to win?”

Knowing what I’ve read about Dak’s strengths and weaknesses as a QB, I will never understand why this FO doesn’t see the best way to make Dak successful. What is it? Having a really good running game. Yes, that’s true about all QBs but even more so with Dak. Look at the evidence:

• Dak’s all time regular season record is 73-41. But look even deeper:
    • When the team rushes for 100 or more yards a game, Dak and the Cowboys are 64-17. When rushing for less than 100 yards, the Cowboys are 9-24 with Dak as starting QB.
    • When Dak throws 30 or less passes, the Cowboys are 28-6. When throwing more than that, the Cowboys are 45-41.
  • Despite having a bad year with int’s in 2022 with 17, Dak only had 8 in ‘23 and is actually very good all time protecting the ball. Yes he’s had some terrible INTs in the playoffs, but historically he’s pretty good at not turning it over.
    • Dak is 9th all time in NFL history with a 1.9 interceptions per 100 attempts. That’s pretty good. (Aaron Rodgers is #1 all time with 1.4; Brady and Mahomes are both ranked 5th at 1.8)
So here’s my bottom line point: Why didn’t we try harder to get a decent RB and make this running game much better in 2024? I’m not even sure Mike McCarthy is the right HC if running the ball is what this QB needs. We did potentially improve our OL, but can anyone say with a straight face that having Zeke, Rico Dowdle and anyone else on this roster will make for a better running game this year?

Again…does this front office not understand what this team needs to win? The evidence is there - having a strong running game is critical to this team’s success. Why did this FO not make it better this off-season?
Nice post but I disagree with you on the premise. Dak had arguably the best RB in 2016 thru 2020 and what did that net the Cowboys. MM isn’t a run first coach no matter what he says. A great run game balanced by a great defense with a better QB
That’s a fair point. But it raises these questions, “What got us the lead to sit on? The running game or the passing game? Or both?”

All of the teams that win SBs without a superstar QB have either a great running game and/or a great defense. History is pretty clear on that.

kevm3

Reaction score
It's clear we were going to have a huge issue in the run game. How did we attempt to fix it? Last year, drafted a microback who will rarely see the field. Let Tony Pollard walk. Bring back Zeke who we let go in the first place for underperforming. Don't even bother trying to sign Derek Henry. A new QB or even coach won't fix an FO with no accountability.

leeblair

Reaction score
Yeah but it’s actually more than that. It’s not that Dak is incapable of winning without a running game. He does have a winning record in games he throws more 30 passes per game. And he is ranked #9th all time in his interception to passes thrown ratio.

So it’s not that Dak cannot ever win in games he’s asked to do a lot. It’s just that the team does so much better when he has a good running game to make the opposing defenses not get away with keeping their safeties back in coverage. It’s hard for any QB o be as effective when the safeties don’t have to respect the running game and can just play two deep coverages.

A good running game forces defenses to have to cheat their safeties up out of respect for what the running game could do. In the terrible losses in the regular season last year to Ariz, SF and Buff, the running game was non-existent in the first quarter and in each of those games, the Cowboys were down two scores in the first qtr, essentially making the running game a non-factor. In the GB playoff game loss, we had no running game when we needed it early.

I’m not ”defending” Dak. I’m just pointing out when we don’t have a running game, the offense’s success or failure falls completely on the QB.
And I am not trying to hammer Dak.
But history has shown-we've watched the games- that in those games where the opponent was tough and things didn't come easy for the Cowboys, those were the games where Dak shut down and didn't come back to life until the game was basically over.
Then he would put up big yardage and higher pass attempts against a defense that was pretty much coasting.
So in order for the Cowboys to win it is imperative that they are winning in every facet of the game so that they do not have to depend on Dak keeping the game close.
Dak plays great when the rest of the team is overpowering the opponent. He joins in and really does make some plays.
It is only when he has to be the guy who makes a difference in a tough situation that he struggles.
I'm saying that the Cowboys know this by now and should base their strategy on putting as little pressure on Dak as possible.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And I am not trying to hammer Dak.
But history has shown-we've watched the games- that in those games where the opponent was tough and things didn't come easy for the Cowboys, those were the games where Dak shut down and didn't come back to life until the game was basically over.
Then he would put up big yardage and higher pass attempts against a defense that was pretty much coasting.
So in order for the Cowboys to win it is imperative that they are winning in every facet of the game so that they do not have to depend on Dak keeping the game close.
Dak plays great when the rest of the team is overpowering the opponent. He joins in and really does make some plays.
It is only when he has to be the guy who makes a difference in a tough situation that he struggles.
I'm saying that the Cowboys know this by now and should base their strategy on putting as little pressure on Dak as possible.
Lee I agree with your last sentence there. That’s something this FO has never understood. It was 2014 before TonyRomo ever had a running game and it was too late because within a year he was injury washed.

I will disagree with you that Dak never makes a difference when the team struggles. He does have 22 game winning drives in the 4th qtr and another (believe it or not) in a playoff game win vs Seattle. I’m not saying he’s Brady or Mahomes but he’s not trash either.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Nice post but I disagree with you on the premise. Dak had arguably the best RB in 2016 thru 2020 and what did that net the Cowboys. MM isn’t a run first coach no matter what he says. A great run game balanced by a great defense with a better QB
Yea , 2016 and 2018 Zeke led the league in rushing and we still fizzled out in Divisional round each time. We didn’t have a great defense though .

Same thing with Romo in 2014 with Murray leading in rushing. Probably an effective enough offense without an Elite QB but not at least an above average defense.

In Cap era you basically either need an Elite QB or defense to advance deep in playoffs with few exceptions. You need to be great on one side of the ball and at least above average on the other.

I’m not sure we can say we’ve had a championship caliber team this era regardless who the QB has been. We’ve come up short in both of these required assets on defense and QB.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A running back won’t help much when the line cannot create holes to run through. The run blocking was atrocious last year.
And I believe they drafted to fix that problem

75boyz

Reaction score
Whatever anyone thinks about Dak Prescott as the Cowboys starting QB, unless something really surprising happens soon, he will be the starting QB here at least through the upcoming 2024 season. PLEASE NOTE: This is not a “yay Dak” thread. It’s a “Go Cowboys” thread asking, “What gives us the best chance to win?”

Knowing what I’ve read about Dak’s strengths and weaknesses as a QB, I will never understand why this FO doesn’t see the best way to make Dak successful. What is it? Having a really good running game. Yes, that’s true about all QBs but even more so with Dak. Look at the evidence:

• When the team rushes for 100 or more yards a game, Dak and the Cowboys are 64-17. When rushing for less than 100 yards, the Cowboys are 9-24 with Dak as starting QB.
    • When Dak throws 30 or less passes, the Cowboys are 28-6. When throwing more than that, the Cowboys are 45-41.
  • Despite having a bad year with int’s in 2022 with 17, Dak only had 8 in ‘23 and is actually very good all time protecting the ball. Yes he’s had some terrible INTs in the playoffs, but historically he’s pretty good at not turning it over.
    • Dak is 9th all time in NFL history with a 1.9 interceptions per 100 attempts. That’s pretty good. (Aaron Rodgers is #1 all time with 1.4; Brady and Mahomes are both ranked 5th at 1.8)
So here’s my bottom line point: Why didn’t we try harder to get a decent RB and make this running game much better in 2024? I’m not even sure Mike McCarthy is the right HC if running the ball is what this QB needs. We did potentially improve our OL, but can anyone say with a straight face that having Zeke, Rico Dowdle and anyone else on this roster will make for a better running game this year?

Again…does this front office not understand what this team needs to win? The evidence is there - having a strong running game is critical to this team’s success. Why did this FO not make it better this off-season?
Yeah, and it's funny to hear the Dak bots TRY and minimize these facts when brought to their attention.

And I also question if the right HC is in charge in order to achieve a once again dominant running game. Okay, forget that. He's NOT the right coach for it, so I won't sugarcoat it.

Im still waiting on the "Run the damn ball and rest the defense" team to materialize.
Just another lie in a long list of McFraud lies.

Anyway, fantastic post Bob.

plasticman

Reaction score
I have struggled with that question since the day Bill Parcells left.

Both Jason Garrett and Mike McCarthy had been given premium run blocking O-lines and the only time they ever really featured them was Murray's 2014 record breaking season and Zeke's 2016 rookie season.

Ironically, in both cases, they were the best QB seasons in the careers of Tony Romo and Dak Prescott. Romo led the league in passer rating, throwing the least amount of times per game in his career. Dak rewrote the rookie QB record book.

The dominant running game took the league by surprise, all the defenses were gearing up for prolific passing teams. They had no answer for smash mouth, in-your-face running offenses.

However, Jerry was convinced that modern NFL football was trending towards more passing. He wasn't wrong, but why would you go with a trend that the league is aware of?

The Cowboys have drafted one RB in the past five seasons, an undersized 6th round pick. Jerry has stated that the value of RB's have decreased. Good! We should have been able to take advantage of that.

Eightneight

Reaction score

All I can say is whats obvious. Jerrah has never really been able to build a complete team in 30 years. If it's not RB then it's DT (or both). If it's not WR then it's LB. It's always some position or two they go into the season lacking. And usually comes back to bite them. Good points regarding team building Bob.

lostar2009

Reaction score
This right here ^^^

I remember when Jerry’s said about Romo being paid “Peyton Manning money” and thinking, “He doesn’t get it.” What you pay a guy in and of itself doesn’t make a player better, lol.
Right, Dak and Romo is considered playoff starting QBs. Off top when you speak contracts its highest paid. Name one QB of this caliber that didnt get his during contract time? They all at one point became the highest paid.

ArtClink

Reaction score

Another great post! The answer to all your front office questions is we have a drunken hillbilly for an owner who is more interested in hookers than winning. And here were are almost 30 years later when Jerry will change his ridiculous Jones-centric model of how to run an NFL franchise. Jerry is giving all fans the finger as he pretends "he really wants to win", lol. Fool's gold. And the blank is gonna hit the fan this season as we stock pile losses.

kskboys

Reaction score

No, they don't understand. They don't understand at all.

kskboys

Reaction score
All I can say is whats obvious. Jerrah has never really been able to build a complete team in 30 years. If it's not RB then it's DT (or both). If it's not WR then it's LB. It's always some position or two they go into the season lacking. And usually comes back to bite them. Good points regarding team building Bob.
As we take yet another 2nd round TE.

Seriously, that's the problem. Very odd drafting that leaves gaping holes.

We desperately needed a RB or LB. Taking a project in the 2nd round at a position of strength. That's why we always have gaping holes.

chagus

Reaction score
It's also rare that two rookie OLs are going to step in and be stronger than the Tyron Smith/Biadasz duo from a year ago. Possible? Yes. Likely? No.

I like this Oline a lot more for 2025 than I do for 2024 right now.
Dude, your logic is exceptional.

Asklesko

Reaction score
To me, it seems like they want Dak to go win it all by himself. If he does he will have earned the 75 million they will have to pay him.

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score

Because Jerry can't justify firing McCarthy with another 12-5 record. He has his eyes on Belichick and makes it as hard as possible for McCarthy to succeed.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because Jerry can't justify firing McCarthy with another 12-5 record. He has his eyes on Belichick and makes it as hard as possible for McCarthy to succeed.
You may be right about this. But I’m curious. Why do you think:
a) Bill B would ever agree to coach here when he’s always had total control of the locker room and always speaks for the team himself. I just can’t see him ever agreeing to work in this circus environment.
b) Jerry would allow one of the greatest coaches in football history to steal any of his spotlight?

Again, you may be right pacy…but I have serious doubts about BB ever being here. I’m skeptical also because I also think Bill B is over the hill and the game has passed him by.