Why isn't Blake Jarwin Starting?

quickccc

Reaction score
You didn't say more snaps originally. You said that Jarwin should be starting, if I'm not mistaken. I don't think he should be starting but I've posted previously that I do think he should be getting more snaps. If for no other reason then to save Witten for later in the year, when we will need him playing at a high level. That I agree with but not starting over Witten.

show me where I said Jarwin should be starting, .. because I get the idea that you maybe 'assuming' i'm saying Jarwin should be starting because he has far more athleticism and movement skills
over witten.

But you're hearing me saying witten seems like he's collecting 80-90% of the TE snaps and reps, seems like he's never the TE that's coming off the field, and how Jarwin should be much more included
and involved in those TE packages than he has, to gain more athletic big play, field stretching, run after catch ability than what the coaches have been allowing him to let on, then yeh you can continue to
stick me to that.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Because Witten is a better TE than Jarwin
How many times do I have to say this?
YUP, WITTEN IS MORE OF A BLOCKING TE...JARWIN IS A PASS CATCHING TE...BIG REASON WHY WITTEN IS STARTING.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
show me where I said Jarwin should be starting, .. because I get the idea that you maybe 'assuming' i'm saying Jarwin should be starting because he has far more athleticism and movement skills
over witten.

But you're hearing me saying witten seems like he's collecting 80-90% of the TE snaps and reps, seems like he's never the TE that's coming off the field, and how Jarwin should be much more included
and involved in those TE packages than he has, to gain more athletic big play, field stretching, run after catch ability than what the coaches have been allowing him to let on, then yeh you can continue to
stick me to that.

Cool, if you did not say that, then you have my apologies. But that is what I am talking about in this thread. So if you are responding to my posts, I assumed it was in regards to my opinions.

Now, to the 80 or 90, I don't know what the percentages are but think about it. If he is seeing that many snaps and we already know how old he is, what is that telling you? It's telling me there is a reason for it because that's a lot of snaps for a guy who you know is older and will be needed if we make a playoff run.

jnday

Reaction score
He can be taught to work zones and position his body. I'll take his athleticism and downfield threat to Witt's intelligence and heart. Witt can still play in multi-TE sets, and goalline short yardage set. Otherwise, Jarwin should be out there as the #1. Coach 'em up, and get 'em in the weight room to become a better blocker. It's just time to move on, good lord....Witt should simply be more of a TE coach than a player. Pass the torch.
Jarwin has been quoted as saying that he really pays attention to how Witten does things. He needs time to learn and perfect those little things that will make him a good TE. Right now, he is just an average TE with some speed. Are you really willing to do away with Witten’s production so that Jarwin can learn as he goes? Jarwin can not produce at Witten’s level now in the passing game or blocking. He does not have the ability. It would be different is Dallas was just building the roster, but they are past that and they are in a win now phase. Considering how stagnant this offense has been at times, I don’t think they are able to do away with Witten’s play without sacrificing possible wins.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Simple. Witten has been consistent and reliable. He's playing like he did in 2016.
Jarwin is good at a couple of things, but not nearly as consistent as Witten at the majority of things.

Verdict

Reaction score
Favoritism. That’s the only reason that Witten is starting over him. The only reason whatsoever.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Don't give me this nonsense that Jarwin can't block because that was what he was at Oklahoma State....

And what Jarwin has been in the NFL is a guy who can't block.

In college he was a hybrid guy who lined up all over the field. Hback. Not an inline TE.

Schultz is the guy who was a blocker in college. But he got to the NFL and wasn't a blocker. Needed to beef up.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
and you know why he isn't used to stretch the middle field in our offense ? , because we know it is no longer in his ability to stretch the middle field. He can't do that.
So of course there's no plan or design for it.
thus we are scheming him to the dink and dunk plays underneath, in soft zones, to those patented plays where he stops in one spot, catches that 5 yd pass and uses his back to drive backwards in a tackler.
We are forced to scheme to Witten's limitations. and when we do want to take that TE in deep middle shot .. Jarwin's number is called for.

here's a problem ,.If Dak happens to see a defense set where that deep middle seam looks there, and wants to audible to get to that ..and witten is the only TE on the field ?
.. then Dak can only hope a safety just busts a coverage assignment and leaves Witten so wide open that he could even loft it up.. and slow-mo can somehow run under it.
Cuz if he tight-squeezes that pass in the lanes, Witt just won't come close to being able to run up to the velocity.

But everyone also knows Witten at this stage of his career only can do one range, ..one speed, ..underneath game is clearly his only repetiore. Finding the soft spots. But overall his ever declining
movement and range limits what you can do as a pass catching TE.

But as you saw with the Jarwin catch and run TD, that was a simple flip pass that Jarwin turned into a huge catch and run with his athleticism. How many other break open big plays like that have
we left off the field ... for the sake of the old man ?

And as far as " other guys getting open down the field" .we don't have much option.at the TE role aside from Jarwin.. Witten moves in mud and we don't even come close to seeing
Schultz's jersey name.

if i'm a top capable defense, I don't have to worry about witten beating like that and I can more comfortable, cheat and try to move and roll my coverages towards the WRs
If we had a Travice Kelcie, Zac Ertz, or George Little type TE that could consistently stretch/hit seams and place that much more torture on safeties and LBs in the middle,
we'd really that much more dangerous and formidable in our attack.
so when jarwin is in the game and he has been getting snaps...why isn't Dak audibling to that play that is the deep seam in the middle? why isn't Jarwin catching any 8 or 9 yard passes? why is Dak not targeting him...witten may not be all that, but Jarwin is less than witten in many ways and that speaks more about the state of our TE position that we haven't invested in really than anything else. I mean the TEs that we have had over the past few years include two UDFA, one 4th rounder and one 7th rounder and a old TE named witten….what else do you expect....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
because that's all Witten does,.. that's all he can do at this stage of his career .that's all he is limited to and at his.further age and declining movement and range makes him that much more limited,
and the longer he is on the field and dominating the TE role and reps that leaves an amount of big plays off the table from a more athletic, big play making TE. and who knows how those
big plays could have been useful in games that we losing.

And witten doesn't hit seams anymore. he can't race and close to a deep spot anymore. its' more turning around
and finding soft spots in zones. He's not going to beat the better coverage LBs and safeties.

And we saw a raw, inexperienced Jarwin begin to grow and progress as the season went on ... and at season's end he begin to stand out , the more experience he got, the more comfortable he got
the more he was schemed and designed into the offense.
And how can you continue to improve routes and knack for the game when your time is being impeded by a old man who almost is never off the field?
athletic big play making TE....Jarwin is big, athletic, he is limited as a play maker....right now he runs deep seam, I haven't seen him to have the ability to block, in run or pass and ability to catch all three passing zones...that's critical...other wise you are a one trick pony...Ertz doesn't just catch deep passes, he catches swing passes, and 4 yard passes and 8 yard curls and 15 yard routes and deep ones too....Jarwin is not close to being a complete TE, except he is the grass on the otherside and is much greener....just like Rico Gathers (although Jarwin >>>>> rico….)

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What??????????? Witten was open because of the play design (play action), not because of some move he put on the defender. You're telling me we can't teach Jarwin to fake a run block for 2 seconds, and then blast to the flats??? Come on, man... You're acting like Witt was running crisp routes and was losing the defender. I saw nothing of the sort. It was deception, mostly through the G Men respecting the run.
wait, I thought our coaches sucked and couldn't scheme players open, specially an old mud runner like witten...I am confused....:cool:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
This still crawls up my skin that we are starting Jason Witten who is slow as snail over Blake Jarwin...Just the stats say what I am talking about from this game. This Jason Garrett-Jason Witten buddy crap needs to stop.

Jason Witten 8 receptions for 58 yards 0 TDs

Blake Jarwin 1 reception for 42 yards 1 TD..

:clap:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
over witten.

stick me to that.
can he catch? can he get open? can he block? pass block? run block? can he get open in all the different passing zone? Alexander had movement skills, he could run a 4.2 40...he was 6'3" didn't do him much good.....Williams had movement skills, he was 6'2 and had 4.4 speed....he sucked as a WR...even as a 2nd WR..... can he play football? that's all that matters.....

and Jarwin was on the field a lot last night, but was targeted once....why isn't Dak targeting him?

Cmac

Reaction score
That security blanket crap is garbage. as if Witten is the only guy on the roster who can run 5 yard outs and slants
Pure BFF rule. TE Development has been hindered for years. As much as Witt is getting love.....he is running on fumes.