Why isn't Blake Jarwin Starting?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Those 3 career drops Jawin has makes him a 50/50 catch player now?
No, but it's fun to make up stuff to support your argument, isn't it?

But here's something real:

Jason Witten career average yards 10.8
Blake Jarwin's career average yards 12.0

1.2 yards average difference doesn't make up for experience and reliability, IMO..

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Because he’s the best damn 3yd curl runner on the roster.

And nothing frustrates me more is when Witt's 3-yard curl is THE PRIMARY READ on some passing plays, and it's not even 2nd or 3rd and 3. 1st and 10 or 2nd and long, and Witt's 3-yard Curl is the primary read???? WTH? :mad: It would be one thing if the 37-year-old TE had a high probability of breaking a tackle on the curl route and getting 5+ more yards, but that's not happening at this point in his career.

So, Dak, please rid yourself of the 3-yard curl security blanket route. Moore, remove that from the pass route options on most plays, unless it's actually 3rd or 4th and 3. Even though at this point, EVERYone knows that route is coming on 3rd or 4th and short when Witt's in the game. So predictable they can be.

Last edited:

Hardline

Reaction score
I'm really enjoying reading all these post dogging Witten and his so called "3 yard"routes. It's like you don't even watch football.

Witten is still getting down field (more than five yards) and making just about every ball thrown to him.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
I'm really enjoying reading all these post dogging Witten and his so called "3 yard"routes. It's like you don't even watch football.

Witten is still getting down field (more than five yards) and making just about every ball thrown to him.

I love these contrarians that post “you don’t watch football”. He gets down field, yes, but he’s the slowest person on the field. So how often is he open? He’s got zero quickness and agility. “Oh but he can block!” Now Witten is all of a sudden a good blocker? I guess Jarwin could be that bad, but he’s looked ok from what I’ve seen when he’s in. Witten can catch, yep, and is smart enough to find open spots in certain zones, but half the battle requires physical ability that he sorely lacks. Time to move on.

Hardline

Reaction score
I love these contrarians that post “you don’t watch football”. He gets down field, yes, but he’s the slowest person on the field. So how often is he open? He’s got zero quickness and agility. “Oh but he can block!” Now Witten is all of a sudden a good blocker? I guess Jarwin could be that bad, but he’s looked ok from what I’ve seen when he’s in. Witten can catch, yep, and is smart enough to find open spots in certain zones, but half the battle requires physical ability that he sorely lacks. Time to move on.
You just literally confirmed my post.
It will be time to move on when Witten can no longer play at a high level.. Which he still is.
Go check the NFL TE standings right now . I'll let you confirm it for yourself .

I don't care how wide open he is. He catches just about every pass thrown to him regardless of how open he is .He's fast enough to get the job done

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
yet, witten is making more catches, moving the chains and Jarwin makes one catch every few weeks down the seam or on a broken play....when Jarwin starts to make plays on a regular basis then he can start..until then, he is a one trick pony....consistency...Jarwin hasn't shown that...

and that's not on coaches, certainly Jarwin is in a lot of plays and getting more opportunities, but he is not cashing in, Dak is not targeting him and you can't tell me Moore/Garrett are telling Dak don't throw it to Jarwin...because that would be really stupid.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
yet, witten is making more catches, moving the chains and Jarwin makes one catch every few weeks down the seam or on a broken play....when Jarwin starts to make plays on a regular basis then he can start..until then, he is a one trick pony....consistency...Jarwin hasn't shown that...

and that's not on coaches, certainly Jarwin is in a lot of plays and getting more opportunities, but he is not cashing in, Dak is not targeting him and you can't tell me Moore/Garrett are telling Dak don't throw it to Jarwin...because that would be really stupid.

That's because Dak looks for Witt, sometimes as the primary read on a 3-yard curl route. He's certainly the 2nd or 3rd read for Dak on many plays. And it's not because Witt is open most times these days, he just figures I'll force it into him and he'll come up with it somehow. And usually Witt is not more than 5 yards down the field, so he's a safe outlet.

Jarwin is rarely the primary read, and often not the 2nd or 3rd read. So, yes, I blame Dak, not Jarwin. Jarwin can get open, and over time, he'll read zones better. But I simply don't believe that if Witt never came back that Jarwin could run all those same, simple routes that Witt does, and would have more potential to turn those 3- or 4-yard routes into 1st downs on occasion because of his athleticism.

So I blame Jarwin's slow maturation on Dak and Moore for not using the most athletic TE we have more, especially on play action passes when those 4-yard Witt gains could be 10 or 20 yards with Jarwin.

timb2

Reaction score
Witten is trying to catch Tony Gonzales,but he is atleast near 2 years maybe even 3 years to catch Gonzales. Witten's little MNF gig thing hurt him. So we have to put up with atleast another year of Lee Majors as the Six Million Dollar Man in slow motion on routes.....I'm not for this. He wants break the record GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!! I'm not having this 39-40 year starting TE crap.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
That's because Dak looks for Witt, sometimes as the primary read on a 3-yard curl route. He's certainly the 2nd or 3rd read for Dak on many plays. And it's not because Witt is open most times these days, he just figures I'll force it into him and he'll come up with it somehow. And usually Witt is not more than 5 yards down the field, so he's a safe outlet.

Jarwin is rarely the primary read, and often not the 2nd or 3rd read. So, yes, I blame Dak, not Jarwin. Jarwin can get open, and over time, he'll read zones better. But I simply don't believe that if Witt never came back that Jarwin could run all those same, simple routes that Witt does, and would have more potential to turn those 3- or 4-yard routes into 1st downs on occasion because of his athleticism.

So I blame Jarwin's slow maturation on Dak and Moore for not using the most athletic TE we have more, especially on play action passes when those 4-yard Witt gains could be 10 or 20 yards with Jarwin.
so it's Dak's fault? in your opinion, Dak doesn't look at Jarwin….

and in regards to forcing it to witten and he comes up with...if Jarwin could come up with it, it would be forced to him too.....

Jarwin is not the primary read, because he is not yet capable of handling that role, his work is as the 3rd or 4th option and matched up against lesser players. no one game plans against him and for him. they game plan for cooper, gallup and to some extent witten….so Jarwin, every few games, finds an opening and makes a play and the fans extrapolate that based on stat sheets to him being a 1500 yard TE if he made x number of catches and was targeted x number of times...

Jarwin is learning....he is getting better....as he learns he will be targeted more and more and will be part of the game plan more and more...for now he is serving his role and makes plays now and then that's needed...

nothing wrong with that..

not liking witten and wanting to get rid of him (which I too would like to improve that position) does not make Jarwin better.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
luuulz.

Yes, no TE in the league can run the 6-yard out like Witten can.
People are always saying Witten just catches 3 yard or 5 yard passes (or 6 yard outs), but he is averaging 9.4 yards per catch, so that's clearly not the case. Plus, passes to him have an 85% completion rate, so he very definitely is contributing.

That said, I agree Jarwin should get more opportunities. The TE position doesn't have to be almost exclusively the steady, help move the chains kind of production we get from Witten. It can also include a more athletic element, with more mid range passes, and even an occasional downfield pass.

In short, I don't care that Witten is getting a lot of playing time, but I do think we are selling ourselves short by not getting Jarwin more involved. The more weapons the opposing defense has to defend against, the better the Cowboys offense will be.

RamziD

Reaction score
As much as I disliked bringing Witten back when it happened, he’s been playing better for us this year than he has in a while.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As much as I disliked bringing Witten back when it happened, he’s been playing better for us this year than he has in a while.
I think it's just that he is being used a little differently - a little more variety rather than only the ultra conservative options in the past. He still does that too, but is also being used in other ways.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
so it's Dak's fault? in your opinion, Dak doesn't look at Jarwin….

and in regards to forcing it to witten and he comes up with...if Jarwin could come up with it, it would be forced to him too.....

Jarwin is not the primary read, because he is not yet capable of handling that role, his work is as the 3rd or 4th option and matched up against lesser players. no one game plans against him and for him. they game plan for cooper, gallup and to some extent witten….so Jarwin, every few games, finds an opening and makes a play and the fans extrapolate that based on stat sheets to him being a 1500 yard TE if he made x number of catches and was targeted x number of times...

Jarwin is learning....he is getting better....as he learns he will be targeted more and more and will be part of the game plan more and more...for now he is serving his role and makes plays now and then that's needed...

nothing wrong with that..

not liking witten and wanting to get rid of him (which I too would like to improve that position) does not make Jarwin better.

First, I haven't seen enough evidence to suggest Jarwin couldn't make 95% of the catches Witten makes. And really, much of Witt's catches are 3 to 4 yard gains, so even if Jarwin did drop most of those, it's not a heavy loss.

Nevertheless, I'm not ready to conclude that Jarwin can't catch 3- or 4-yard routes in traffic. And even if he can't at this point, he can definitely separate from defenders better than Witt, so maybe these catches won't always have to be so contested by the defender in the first place.

I simply think Jarwin needs more targets, ESPECIALLY on those play action passes to the TE, that are often small-ish gains with Witten in the flat, but could be bigger gains with a more athletic TE. And Jarwin certainly stretches the field better than Witten on the seam passes these days, because he gets into the 2nd level of defense much faster, opening up lanes for other WRs to sneak in behind his seam route.

And I LIKE Witt, he's been great. But at this point, I don't think he should be a primary read on many passing plays, he should be the outlet. And I believe Jarwin deserves some plays that are designed just for him, whether it's a sneaky TE screen, or a play action pass with a deeper route, where I know he'll be pretty open behind the TE because of team's respect for the running game.

I almost feel like it's a waste of a well-designed PA pass play only to throw it to Witt in the flat for 4 or 5 yards. It's hardly worth the deception, it's barely making the defense pay. Hec, with that, I'd still key on the run every play if I'm the defense if the threat is simply Witt for 4 yards in the flat. We can't get Coop or Gallup open on a deep out or in route for 15 or 20 yards? We can't get Jarwin open on a TE corner or seam route for 15 to 20 yards?

So, yes, I blame Moore for not using the personnel correctly, and for Dak not demanding in practice more out of the play action pass plays.

I don't blame Witt, he's giving us what he can. Jarwin can give us more on most of those pass plays, I do believe that. But if you need 3 or 4 yards near the goal line or on 4th and 3, I'm all for going with Witt in those critical situations as a primary read. Otherwise, we need the more athletic TE on the field more, and Witt (being the mentor I know he is), he can teach Jarwin how to block better.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

5-yard Witten!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
For the sake (a Japanese word) of reasoning with you Witten cheerleaders, let's say Witten is ... adequate.
What's in it for us for Witten to pad his stats, massage his ego and make a wad of cash?
But, Blimey! let's move on and prepare Jarwin (or others) for the future.