Why isn't Blake Jarwin Starting?

coult44

Reaction score
This still crawls up my skin that we are starting Jason Witten who is slow as snail over Blake Jarwin...Just the stats say what I am talking about from this game. This Jason Garrett-Jason Witten buddy crap needs to stop.

Jason Witten 8 receptions for 58 yards 0 TDs

Blake Jarwin 1 reception for 42 yards 1 TD..

You ever see Jarwin make great blocks? Neither do the coaches. Y’all crack me up with this stuff.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
And nothing frustrates me more is when Witt's 3-yard curl is THE PRIMARY READ on some passing plays, and it's not even 2nd or 3rd and 3. 1st and 10 or 2nd and long, and Witt's 3-yard Curl is the primary read???? WTH? :mad: It would be one thing if the 37-year-old TE had a high probability of breaking a tackle on the curl route and getting 5+ more yards, but that's not happening at this point in his career.

So, Dak, please rid yourself of the 3-yard curl security blanket route. Moore, remove that from the pass route options on most plays, unless it's actually 3rd or 4th and 3. Even though at this point, EVERYone knows that route is coming on 3rd or 4th and short when Witt's in the game. So predictable they can be.
9.4 yard average this season.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
9.4 yard average this season.

Witten's nine targets and eight receptions were both new season-highs, as were his 58 yards receiving. While he has been adept at finding the open spaces in the short and intermediate areas of the field, he has just 321 yards receiving on 34 receptions through eight games.

58 yards receiving is a season-high for Witt. I'd like more from a TE who gets as many targets as he gets.

Again, I think Jarwin has the ability to make big plays, regularly, down the field (kind of like Witten used to make).

So that 9.4 yard average doesn't change my opinion. My eyes say that Jarwin needs more targets, especially on play action pass plays blowing past LBs. Witt in the flat for 4 or 5 doesn't cut it. A waste of a good PA play, only to get 5 yards.

Witt's still a solid option on short yardage and goal line situations, IMO, when you need your absolute best blocker and only need a few yards. Otherwise, I think Jarwin should get more snaps, and Witt can still be the #2 TE (and the Cowboys still run a lot of 2 TE sets so he'd be in on lots of snaps). 3rd and long? Those snaps should go to Jarwin, when they need a TE who can separate from a safety or DB.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Witten's nine targets and eight receptions were both new season-highs, as were his 58 yards receiving. While he has been adept at finding the open spaces in the short and intermediate areas of the field, he has just 321 yards receiving on 34 receptions through eight games.

58 yards receiving is a season-high for Witt. I'd like more from a TE who gets as many targets as he gets.

Again, I think Jarwin has the ability to make big plays, regularly, down the field (kind of like Witten used to make).

So that 9.4 yard average doesn't change my opinion. My eyes say that Jarwin needs more targets, especially on play action pass plays blowing past LBs. Witt in the flat for 4 or 5 doesn't cut it. A waste of a good PA play, only to get 5 yards.

Witt's still a solid option on short yardage and goal line situations, IMO, when you need your absolute best blocker and only need a few yards. Otherwise, I think Jarwin should get more snaps, and Witt can still be the #2 TE (and the Cowboys still run a lot of 2 TE sets so he'd be in on lots of snaps). 3rd and long? Those snaps should go to Jarwin, when they need a TE who can separate from a safety or DB.
I have no problem with getting Jarwin more involved, even if it means Witten is less involved. I just have a problem with people exaggerating and undervaluing Witten's contributions. BTW, I believe Jarwin has a 12 yard average, and if that includes his catch Monday night, that's not as big a gap as a lot of people want to believe. But as I said, I have no problem giving him more opportunities.

Hadenough

Reaction score
This still crawls up my skin that we are starting Jason Witten who is slow as snail over Blake Jarwin...Just the stats say what I am talking about from this game. This Jason Garrett-Jason Witten buddy crap needs to stop.

Jason Witten 8 receptions for 58 yards 0 TDs

Blake Jarwin 1 reception for 42 yards 1 TD..
Because this is a mom and pop run organization and friends get to start over better players. If you were to offer Witten or Jarwin to the Patriots I guarantee Brady would want Jarwin. Witten cant run anymore. He is only getting open on play action bootlegs and roll outs.

blueblood70

Reaction score
ereally guys , witten wasn't here in 2018, was he?which TE stepped up in his absence?

Not Jarwin take away his NYG fnal season game and this was it..

https://www.bing.com/search?q=blake...Q1U!dovKURVxzyUZLU!BfukwlnDDfUPNXs66E&plvar=0

27 catches for 307 yards and 3 tds the giants game 7 for 119 3tds

so all games but the NYG game

20 catches 188 yards and zero tds

there's your answer.. SMH:facepalm::muttley:

some of you sure luv the backups and criticize the best layers on the team.. sure Witten isnt young and the old HOF Witten but hes better than Jarwin and thats a fact..

we may need to address the situation in FA or draft to upgrade it but Jarwin is backup..hes doing well for a backup..

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
People are always saying Witten just catches 3 yard or 5 yard passes (or 6 yard outs), but he is averaging 9.4 yards per catch, so that's clearly not the case. Plus, passes to him have an 85% completion rate, so he very definitely is contributing.

That said, I agree Jarwin should get more opportunities. The TE position doesn't have to be almost exclusively the steady, help move the chains kind of production we get from Witten. It can also include a more athletic element, with more mid range passes, and even an occasional downfield pass.

In short, I don't care that Witten is getting a lot of playing time, but I do think we are selling ourselves short by not getting Jarwin more involved. The more weapons the opposing defense has to defend against, the better the Cowboys offense will be.
come on Omer...you can't do that...you can't mess with people's perception like that by throwing facts around...geez, now you have gone and done it!!!;)

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
ereally guys , witten wasn't here in 2018, was he?which TE stepped up in his absence?

Not Jarwin take away his NYG fnal season game and this was it..

https://www.bing.com/search?q=blake+jarwin+2018+stats&form=EDGTCT&qs=AS&cvid=16f245d57ba146a3b4bad3afbb512f57&cc=US&setlang=en-US&elv=AQj93OAhDTi*HzTv1paQdnhgPtAwZ1!ClDSreQhJPs9O*qxEhrieIz7n4256vbX4xjplpkRQ1U!dovKURVxzyUZLU!BfukwlnDDfUPNXs66E&plvar=0

27 catches for 307 yards and 3 tds the giants game 7 for 119 3tds

so all games but the NYG game

20 catches 188 yards and zero tds

there's your answer.. SMH:facepalm::muttley:

some of you sure luv the backups and criticize the best layers on the team.. sure Witten isnt young and the old HOF Witten but hes better than Jarwin and thats a fact..

we may need to address the situation in FA or draft to upgrade it but Jarwin is backup..hes doing well for a backup..

Jarwin spent most of 2017 on the practice squad, so 2018 was like a rookie season for him. No, he didn't have a breakout year, but a lot of rookies don't. Let's see if he can develop into something special. Witt's crested his prime. We need to find someone on the rise.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jarwin spent most of 2017 on the practice squad, so 2018 was like a rookie season for him. No, he didn't have a breakout year, but a lot of rookies don't. Let's see if he can develop into something special. Witt's crested his prime. We need to find someone on the rise.
Jarwin really didn't get much of a chance even last year until Swaim got hurt, but in the last quarter of the season he produced when he was given the targets.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
First, I haven't seen enough evidence to suggest Jarwin couldn't make 95% of the catches Witten makes. And really, much of Witt's catches are 3 to 4 yard gains, so even if Jarwin did drop most of those, it's not a heavy loss.

Nevertheless, I'm not ready to conclude that Jarwin can't catch 3- or 4-yard routes in traffic. And even if he can't at this point, he can definitely separate from defenders better than Witt, so maybe these catches won't always have to be so contested by the defender in the first place.

I simply think Jarwin needs more targets, ESPECIALLY on those play action passes to the TE, that are often small-ish gains with Witten in the flat, but could be bigger gains with a more athletic TE. And Jarwin certainly stretches the field better than Witten on the seam passes these days, because he gets into the 2nd level of defense much faster, opening up lanes for other WRs to sneak in behind his seam route.

And I LIKE Witt, he's been great. But at this point, I don't think he should be a primary read on many passing plays, he should be the outlet. And I believe Jarwin deserves some plays that are designed just for him, whether it's a sneaky TE screen, or a play action pass with a deeper route, where I know he'll be pretty open behind the TE because of team's respect for the running game.

I almost feel like it's a waste of a well-designed PA pass play only to throw it to Witt in the flat for 4 or 5 yards. It's hardly worth the deception, it's barely making the defense pay. Hec, with that, I'd still key on the run every play if I'm the defense if the threat is simply Witt for 4 yards in the flat. We can't get Coop or Gallup open on a deep out or in route for 15 or 20 yards? We can't get Jarwin open on a TE corner or seam route for 15 to 20 yards?

So, yes, I blame Moore for not using the personnel correctly, and for Dak not demanding in practice more out of the play action pass plays.

I don't blame Witt, he's giving us what he can. Jarwin can give us more on most of those pass plays, I do believe that. But if you need 3 or 4 yards near the goal line or on 4th and 3, I'm all for going with Witt in those critical situations as a primary read. Otherwise, we need the more athletic TE on the field more, and Witt (being the mentor I know he is), he can teach Jarwin how to block better.
so if most of witten's catches are 3-5 yards (your perception) how is he averaging 9.4 YPC?...and he is accordingly to you he is slumbering in mud...

and for Jarwin to be targeted and have opportunity to make tough catches he has to get open...has he? was he targtted? why not? you can't tell me its on the coaches. TE plays are for all TEs and not just Witten.

and Dak has shown he will throw to Jarwin when he is open and so far he has been a one trick pony pretty much...why force target a player? why force the ball to a player? makes ZERO sense.

again, you are saying witten catches in the flat and can't run after the catch and Jarwin can...why isn't jarwin getting open on those catches? its not about Athleticism, its about being a good FOOTBALL PLAYER....

and no one denies he stretches the field better...but he is not a good TE and as much as you wish/want/think he is the next coming of Kelce, Ertz, Engram...he is not. he is got ways to go yet, but he is improving and he is getting better.

again, as the first option he may struggle.....but as a 3rd, 4th or 5th option he can take advantage since he will be matched up against lesser players, while the defense is focused on everybody else....

you are playing stat sheet, spreadsheet football extrapolating Jarwin to be a viable TE and he is not.....not yet, he may yet become one, but right now he is not.

right now Witten is ranked 10th in the league amongst TEs in yards and 8th in catches.....not bad for a guy as you said catching 3 yard passes.....and he is obviously the 3rd or 4th option on the team.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
so if most of witten's catches are 3-5 yards (your perception) how is he averaging 9.4 YPC?...and he is accordingly to you he is slumbering in mud...

and for Jarwin to be targeted and have opportunity to make tough catches he has to get open...has he? was he targtted? why not? you can't tell me its on the coaches. TE plays are for all TEs and not just Witten.

and Dak has shown he will throw to Jarwin when he is open and so far he has been a one trick pony pretty much...why force target a player? why force the ball to a player? makes ZERO sense.

again, you are saying witten catches in the flat and can't run after the catch and Jarwin can...why isn't jarwin getting open on those catches? its not about Athleticism, its about being a good FOOTBALL PLAYER....

and no one denies he stretches the field better...but he is not a good TE and as much as you wish/want/think he is the next coming of Kelce, Ertz, Engram...he is not. he is got ways to go yet, but he is improving and he is getting better.

again, as the first option he may struggle.....but as a 3rd, 4th or 5th option he can take advantage since he will be matched up against lesser players, while the defense is focused on everybody else....

you are playing stat sheet, spreadsheet football extrapolating Jarwin to be a viable TE and he is not.....not yet, he may yet become one, but right now he is not.

right now Witten is ranked 10th in the league amongst TEs in yards and 8th in catches.....not bad for a guy as you said catching 3 yard passes.....and he is obviously the 3rd or 4th option on the team.

He said most of Witt’s. Arches go for 3-4 yard gains.....he’s not wrong.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

oh, believe me we all like more from TE position, but you are taking a handful of plays and making a case for Jarwin as this better TE that he is not. Jarwin has ability to make big plays, but not if he is the featured TE, given he may make a big play a game, but screw up and do nothing in the other 8 times he might be targeted....he hasn't shown he can consistently block, or catch short and intermediate routes. he has certainly been in enough games and getting more snaps....at the end of the day its about production and he is not producing except occasionally....

you dream him to be Ertz, Engram, Kelce....but its just a dream...he is not close....

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

You bring up a point I hadn't considered. Who's covering Jarwin? If he's going up against lesser DBs and LBs, there's no evidence that he can make plays once teams start to account for him. That doesn't mean he shouldn't get a chance to prove himself, just as I said, something I hadn't previously considered.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He said most of Witt’s. Arches go for 3-4 yard gains.....he’s not wrong.
what you said makes no sense, even without looking at the stats on his catches..

if MOST of his catches are 3-4 yard gains, then he has to be making some BIG plays to average 9.4 YPC...yet everyone says he is slow and slumbering...

you can't have it both ways...slow and slumbering unable to make big plays, yet most catches are 3-4 yards yet he averages 9.4 YPC....

come on.....you want me to list everyone of his catches?