CFZ Why it’s fools gold to count wins on the schedule before games are played

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The NFL is the most unpredictable league in all of sports. Upsets are as common as a sunrise each week. I always laugh when I see people here saying “Looking at the schedule, I see 9-10 more wins”…or something similar. It’s fool’s gold.

The truth is, every opponent on our schedule is a potential win or loss. Don’t believe that? Look at some of the upsets that have happened in just the first 35% of the season:
  • Week 1- Bears 19-niners 10. I’m sure we all saw that coming, right?
  • Week 2- Dolphins 42-ravens 38.
  • Week 2- Jags 24- colts 0
  • Week 3- Dolphins 21-bills 19.
  • Week 3- Broncos 11-niners 10
  • Week 3- Colts 20-chiefs 17.
  • Week 5- giants 27-packers 22.
  • Week 6- falcons 28-niners 14.
  • Week 6- jets 27-packers 10.
  • Week 6- Steelers 20-Bucs 18.
  • Week 6- Seahawks 19-cards 9.
  • Week 6- giants 24-ravens 20.
The NFL is not college football where picking winners weeks or months in advance can happen. In the pros, the old “on any given Sunday” applies every single week. Truth is we’ve played 35% of the schedule, not 95%. All NFL teams evolve. Some get better from one week to the next. The talent margins between the best and worst teams in the NFL are very thin.

The Cowboys are still developing as a team. We can’t look at the schedule and think a game like the lions Sunday is a given win. I expect the Cowboys to win Sunday against the lions, but also expect it to be a war.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Too many variables and the injury impact seems to be getting worse every season.

And I have noticed that these coaches are quicker to respond to any player going out. Particularly an edge OL or secondary player. They seem to have an immediate action plan in place for the opposing team should they lose a key player.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dont-count-your-chickens-until-they-hatch-dwayne-johnson.gif

Praxit

Reaction score
...funny you mentioned this. NFL network, the coach picked Philly to be undefeated, until they play us again.. lol..

He skipped on Pitt and GB.. IMO ....both possible losses.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Send this to the ones that say the Eagles will be 14-0 by the time we play them again. :laugh:
I will not be surprised if the Eagles lose to the Steelers after their bye week.
They won to the Cards by missed FG. The won to Dallas by a backup quarterback who tossed 3 picks. The gifts aren't going to keep on giving. Not to mention to easiest schedule in the league.

Can't wait to see this guy shut his pie hole after this classless act! Karma is waiting patiently Nicky!

Acceptablename

Reaction score
The NFL is the most unpredictable league in all of sports. Upsets are as common as a sunrise each week. I always laugh when I see people here saying “Looking at the schedule, I see 9-10 more wins”…or something similar. It’s fool’s gold.

The truth is, every opponent on our schedule is a potential win or loss. Don’t believe that? Look at some of the upsets that have happened in just the first 35% of the season:
The NFL is not college football where picking winners weeks or months in advance can happen. In the pros, the old “on any given Sunday” applies every single week. Truth is we’ve played 35% of the schedule, not 95%. All NFL teams evolve. Some get better from one week to the next. The talent margins between the best and worst teams in the NFL are very thin.

The Cowboys are still developing as a team. We can’t look at the schedule and think a game like the lions Sunday is a given win. I expect the Cowboys to win Sunday against the lions, but also expect it to be a war.
I can’t help it

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I would not be surprised if the e-girls lose their next two.
Looking at their very easy 2nd place schedule there’s not many losable games or games they’ll be underdogs . I can easily see 12 or 13 wins .

Last edited:

fivetwos

Reaction score

If what was supposed to happen always happened Vegas wouldn’t have so many lights.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looking at their very easy 2nd place schedule there’s not many losable games or games they’ll be underdogs . I can easily see 12 or 13 wins .
I remember on opening day listening to the “experts” talk about how the niners D was going to dominate the bears terrible offense. And the bears won 19-10. And the bears offense IS terrible. But it’s the NFL.

The eagles are going to lose several games this year. I don’t know when. But they will.
...funny you mentioned this. NFL network, the coach picked Philly to be undefeated, until they play us again.. lol..

He skipped on Pitt and GB.. IMO ....both possible losses.
Look at the easiest game on the e-girls schedule. That could be a loss!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I remember on opening day listening to the “experts” talk about how the niners D was going to dominate the bears terrible offense. And the bears won 19-10. And the bears offense IS terrible. But it’s the NFL.

The eagles are going to lose several games this year. I don’t know when. But they will.
Look at the easiest game on the e-girls schedule. That could be a loss!
In order for Egirls to win less than 12 games they will have to finish season from here below .500.

Motorola

Reaction score

Predicting what an NFL team will do in an upcoming season - and in a partticular game - is part and parcel of being a fan.
Sports media does the same - be it NFL pundits, local tv, the national networks, talk radio, websites.
It is an annual partaking that extends to even predicting division winners, playoff teams, conference titlelists, and the league champion.
It's done in all other sports, too - on every level.
Football win\loss predictions - both college and professional - are detailed to each game because there are so much fewer contests in a season as opposed to hockey, basketball, and baseball. But they still make prognostications - be it the Colorado Avalanche winning their division, or the Washington Wizards going 37- 45.
And there are a small number of MLB \ NBA\NHL\ junkies that go through their favorite team's ENTiRE SCHEDULE - and pick the outcome of EVERY GAME. Don't scoff or disbelieve; I've come across a few guys in my lifetime that have done that, plus seeing fans post the entire schedule prediction game by game on the internet.
You find it puzzling, futile, a waste of time, etc. due to unpredictable factors (injuries being the major one, trades another).
However Bobhaze - NFL fans and followers will continue this excercise - even if it's not your cup of tea.

Last edited:

Praxit

Reaction score
They won to the Cards by missed FG. The won to Dallas by a backup quarterback who tossed 3 picks. The gifts aren't going to keep on giving. Not to mention to easiest schedule in the league.

Can't wait to see this guy shut his pie hole after this classless act! Karma is waiting patiently Nicky!

..yep, payback will be sweet.

shabazz

Reaction score
I would think that everybody here knows that absolutely nothing matters except gettin in the playoffs and winning more than one game in them.

Nobody counts on anything here. Nobody would have picked us beating both SB teams with a backup QB.......nobody

Motorola

Reaction score
This list brings back painful memories of me being eliminated from survivor pools this year.
Participating in those contests appears to be easy to do well in - but upsets happen that seemly shouldn't happen - and injuries to key players are not always the reason.