CFZ Why it would've have been better to fire McCarthy than make him a lame duck

ArtClink

Reaction score
If being on the last year of his contract prevents him from winning, then he's not a very good coach.

The issue with firing a coach is finding a replacement. That is harder to accomplish when you make the playoffs because bad teams have a head start...
What if it doesn’t matter who the hc is since Jerry is making most of the decisions. The hc in Dallas is just the fall guy accountable for Jerry’s shortcomings, not his own. I contend it makes zero difference who our hc is when they’re given almost no real power.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
After the most embarrassing playoff loss in Cowboys history last January, it made more sense to fire Mike McCarthy and move on than making him a lame duck head coach on the last year of his contract. We have seen this coaching scenario in Big D three times before. In 2010 with Wade Phillips, in 2014 with Jason Garrett and 2019 with Garrett again. Only once (in 2014) did this situation translate to a successful season.

Big Mac has been here four seasons and he’s done a very good job in the regular season. But winning in the regular season is not enough if your team is serious about winning a championship. Winning 1 wild card game in 4 years is not good enough to me for a head coach. In the three losses he’s had in the playoffs here, in two of them his team was just not prepared.

So…IMO Here are the reasons this decision to keep McCarthy in the last year of contract makes little sense:
  • It will be very hard for this team to recover mentally from that packer loss with the same head coach. The first time this team has a bad half or bad game, it could easily cause a mental free fall like we saw in 2010 with Wade when that team started the season poorly.
  • The early part of the 2024 schedule is not particularly favorable which puts even more pressure on the situation.
  • By also having a bizarre off-season where this front office mostly sat on their hands when it came to getting better, it cannot give this lame duck HC, his staff and his players a feeling that the organization has pushed the chips forward for 2024.
  • By choosing to not be proactive with contracts AGAIN with several of its star players, it has the appearance that this season is a reset. Which would be fine IF you had a new HC.
The loss to the packers last January was just a complete collapse. How does a team recover mentally from that? And if you wanted to make 2024 the start of something new, why not start that process with a new head coach? Instead of that, we are left wondering what this front office is thinking and planning because in my decades of following this team, the 2024 off-season has been the biggest head scratcher I’ve ever seen.
Totally agree , a new hc would also have the fans excited.
But if the jones boys still did the one year thing on all coaches and players , that would not make sense.
So with them doing that a new HC doesnt fit, as no one except maybe you,me and some other zone members would not accept
a 1 year HC deal with the cowboys.

erod

Reaction score
Opinion forums feed on negativity, much like news cycles. Nature of the beast.
Not true. Forums can feed on optimism just as well when it's warranted and proven.

There just isn't any of that here because it's been decades since anything truly meaningful happened. The Dez catch was the closest we've been.

The stew is cooked and it's going to be a long season of disappointment. Everything points that way.

But not in every city.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Not true. Forums can feed on optimism just as well when it's warranted and proven.

There just isn't any of that here because it's been decades since anything truly meaningful happened. The Dez catch was the closest we've been.

The stew is cooked and it's going to be a long season of disappointment. Everything points that way.

But not in every city.
Meh. I’ve been on Patriots forums at the height of their powers and there was so much misery there.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think the Cowboys would do well to realize that their organizational setup is at fault infinitely more than McCarthy is. :huh:
Of course, that'd quite literally demand that Jerry and Stephen would finally see their shortcomings! So much for that. :angry:

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Well, IMO, he's not working very hard. Two years ago when we were the most penalized team in the league and he was called out on it - he said we'll look at it in the off season. Now, having Dak throw the ball out of bounds on third down breathing life into the Lions game, humiliating fans by the loss against GB... He doesn't seem motivated to keep the players sharp every play. Jimmy would have whipped some asssses already. He would have dragged Dak to the ground by his facemask and yelled "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"
No likey Mikey
Jimmy’s performance in the salary cap era is like Jerry’s. Not particularly good. He had Marino and didn’t win. He has not coached in the NFL for almost a quarter of a century. If he tried to whip a player’s *** in the contemporary NFL he’d end up thrown out a window.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Opinion forums feed on negativity, much like news cycles. Nature of the beast.
But is it "frenzy"....really?

The person that used that term is totally obsessed...almost deranged about it. If one thing is all one looks for that is all that will be seen.

The person objecting to alleged "frenzy" negativity is feeding and intensifying it.

Chasing6

Reaction score

But not in every city.
Well in this case nothing meaningful has happened in 6 months.

With our expectations low we will surprise ourselves with 10 wins and then think we are a SB contender. Only to blame Dak when he can carry the team by himself.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score

But not in every city.
Low expectations is good , then anything the team does well will be applauded and people will start drinking cool aid,

LOL , another Jerry scoop

Chasing6

Reaction score
Low expectations is good , then anything the team does well will be applauded and people will start drinking cool aid,

LOL , another Jerry scoop
Then jump to the conclusion that we are a SB ready team.

:muttley:

A majority of our fans last year thought Philly would run away with the Division and we would struggle to win the Wild Card.

Then somehow thought we were a SB favorite and it was all Dak's fault.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What if it doesn’t matter who the hc is since Jerry is making most of the decisions. The hc in Dallas is just the fall guy accountable for Jerry’s shortcomings, not his own. I contend it makes zero difference who our hc is when they’re given almost no real power.
That what a certain subset of fans want to believe. They need somebody to hate (Jerry).

The reality is that they won 3 Super Bowls with Jerry as the owner when they had the right Head Coach.

Jerry is not making the football decisions anymore. It's all Stephen and McClay.

Jerry never met DLaw's agent...

Jerry doesn't do the negotiations with any players/agents anymore.

There are very few Head Coaches capable of winning multiple Super Bowls and most of them are already employed or retired.

Chasing6

Reaction score
That what a certain subset of fans want to believe. They need somebody to hate (Jerry).

The reality is that they won 3 Super Bowls with Jerry as the owner when they had the right Head Coach.

Jerry is not making the football decisions anymore. It's all Stephen and McClay.

There are very few Head Coaches capable of winning multiple Super Bowls and most of them are already employed or retired.
I might believe GM Jethro is not making decisons if he hires Belichick.

ArtClink

Reaction score

I don't need someone to hate. That's not how I roll. Rather, as a longtime fan I'm frustrated we use the same failed methods for decades expecting different results. And we all know the answer.

ArtClink

Reaction score
I might believe GM Jethro is not making decisons if he hires Belichick.
He gave Parcells a little more power than the previous puppet head coaches but then as the roster improved Jerry started meddling again. He just can't help himself.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Then jump to the conclusion that we are a SB ready team.

:muttley:

A majority of our fans last year thought Philly would run away with the Division and we would struggle to win the Wild Card.

Then somehow thought we were a SB favorite and it was all Dak's fault.
The stars were aligned much better , 2nd seed and way to goto NFC championship, but the whole team squandered that by conveniently overlooking GB . DQ was busy interviewing and the whole defense sleepwalked ( Tired , LOL )

Not that we could hav beaten SF at SF , we would never know , Isn’t it ?

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
The richest man in the NFL - who is almost printing money - being worried about “dead money for coaches” is amazing. Maybe that’s why JJ is a great business man in that he pinches every penny. But if he’s serious about winning a championship, having a HC with “dead money” is the least of his problems.
It is COMICAL that he has convinced people that "dead money" to coaches is a problem. Of course you would prefer not to, but hey....having a franchise that is worth 15+ billion should help you sleep at night if "throwing away" 10m gets you closer to what should be the REAL goal.

He has always run this like a NORMAL business FIRST. And you simply cannot do that in SPORTS....and WIN!!!!!!!

But like I always say....Jerry's first order of business is to secure the money....and I guess you can say that is his right. But my gosh...the number of fans that allow Jerry to complain about the cap and wasted money is enough to make me pull my hair out. The salary cap rules apply to EVERYBODY...not just Jerry. And no other team in ALL OF SPORTS makes more money than him!!!!!!And somehow teams manage to field a team under those salary cap rules and a winner is crowned every year...it's just never us!!!!!!!