CFZ Why it would've have been better to fire McCarthy than make him a lame duck

Reid1boys

Reaction score
why? teams fire coaches that are under contract all the time? Where does it say teams are required to fire a coach with a year left or give them an extension?

Do your job, do it well and we might keep you after this year. What is wrong with that?

75boyz

Reaction score
The timing with Daks last year may figure heavily into Jerry’s decision. I’m sure Jerry was very disappointed to say the least. After the GB loss MM stated

“my message would be this, we've established a championship program, it's just not a world championship yet. We know how to win, we know how to train to win, we have the right people, but we have not crossed the threshold of winning playoff games. It's extremely disappointing to be sitting here talking about it, but I know how to win and we will get over that threshold," McCarthy said.

I don’t think Jerry likes paying someone to do nothing so I believe JJ is saying to both of the key people put up or shut up, and I think that’s the basis of the “all in” comment. The team core is there, so Jerry can’t lose, they do great he gets the credit they fail he cleans house and says I gave them a final chance but it didn’t work. Well if ever MM wants to prove that he can coach bows the time, me personally I think MM is a fraud as a HC. Jerry also knows that a new HC will want his stamp on the team going forward and not sure a new HC will want a QB who underperformed in playoff games, unless like MM he’s desperate for a job and will tell Jerry anything he wants and that’s not the guy you want
Excellent post.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
why? teams fire coaches that are under contract all the time? Where does it say teams are required to fire a coach with a year left or give them an extension?

Do your job, do it well and we might keep you after this year. What is wrong with that?
Agreed. This post isn’t about either of those points.

erod

Reaction score
The seem to be treating this year as a lame duck year altogether, which makes some sense.

links18

Reaction score
It's all a set up for Jerry and spawn to slip their homeboy Zimmer in as HC, when McCarthy bombs out in week 6.

JBS

Reaction score
Reasons not to fire Mike McCarthy

Save 4-5M dollars

/thread

eromeopolk

Reaction score
After the most embarrassing playoff loss in Cowboys history last January, it made more sense to fire Mike McCarthy and move on than making him a lame duck head coach on the last year of his contract. We have seen this coaching scenario in Big D three times before. In 2010 with Wade Phillips, in 2014 with Jason Garrett and 2019 with Garrett again. Only once (in 2014) did this situation translate to a successful season.

Big Mac has been here four seasons and he’s done a very good job in the regular season. But winning in the regular season is not enough if your team is serious about winning a championship. Winning 1 wild card game in 4 years is not good enough to me for a head coach. In the three losses he’s had in the playoffs here, in two of them his team was just not prepared.

So…IMO Here are the reasons this decision to keep McCarthy in the last year of contract makes little sense:
  • It will be very hard for this team to recover mentally from that packer loss with the same head coach. The first time this team has a bad half or bad game, it could easily cause a mental free fall like we saw in 2010 with Wade when that team started the season poorly.
  • The early part of the 2024 schedule is not particularly favorable which puts even more pressure on the situation.
  • By also having a bizarre off-season where this front office mostly sat on their hands when it came to getting better, it cannot give this lame duck HC, his staff and his players a feeling that the organization has pushed the chips forward for 2024.
  • By choosing to not be proactive with contracts AGAIN with several of its star players, it has the appearance that this season is a reset. Which would be fine IF you had a new HC.
The loss to the packers last January was just a complete collapse. How does a team recover mentally from that? And if you wanted to make 2024 the start of something new, why not start that process with a new head coach? Instead of that, we are left wondering what this front office is thinking and planning because in my decades of following this team, the 2024 off-season has been the biggest head scratcher I’ve ever seen.
Because Jerry Dumbo GM Jones has been Defacto Head Coach for 30 years (excluding the Tuna years), it is irrelevant who is on the sideline as offensive HC and Defensive HC. There is only 1 HNIC. Head Nincompoop In Charge.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No it sells. All the long threads are all negative. Positive threads get very little and what they do get is attacked by you always negative posters.
Unfortunately negative news sells. Viewers are more inclined to tune in for the violence, fires , hurricanes and tornadoes than the feel good stories.

We tried a “ silver lining” forum in old Cowboys forum specifically for your concerns . It was a ghost town. These social media sites rely on traffic in order to sell advertising .

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think GM Jethro is getting up in his age and missed spoke. There is no Cap for Coaches. He needs to start walking quietly walking off into the sunset.
didn't say cap. said. dead money. money you owe after you fire a coach. so he doesn't want to double pay for coaches.

and yeah, he needs to go sooner than later. the challenge is not sure if Stephen is any better

Diehardblues

Reaction score

In sports that doesn’t generally work out. They desire and feel more loyalty with a leap of faith and support.

And why if our HC and QB do well they aren’t likely to choose remaining in Dallas first with better or even equal offers.

I would agree that teams fire HC’s all the time under contract. I’m not sure that’s what is driving Jethro’s reluctance.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I wouldn’t be surprised if Prescott gets hurt especially with a dismal running game , the team collapses similar to 2010 or 2015 and MM doesn’t survive the season.

Chasing6

Reaction score
didn't say cap. said. dead money. money you owe after you fire a coach. so he doesn't want to double pay for coaches.

and yeah, he needs to go sooner than later. the challenge is not sure if Stephen is any better

I am not saying Stephen is better, but having simultaneously two different approaches is embarrassing.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
In sports that doesn’t generally work out. They desire and feel more loyalty with a leap of faith and support.

And why if our HC and QB do well they aren’t likely to choose remaining in Dallas first with better or even equal offers.

I would agree that teams fire HC’s all the time under contract. I’m not sure that’s what is driving Jethro’s reluctance.
We have gotten past wild card weekend 1 time under Mike. What has he done to deserve an extension? Nothing IMO. I like what they are doing. Win, or you are outta here. Could be true for Dak also.

Chasing6

Reaction score
We have gotten past wild card weekend 1 time under Mike. What has he done to deserve an extension? Nothing IMO. I like what they are doing. Win, or you are outta here. Could be true for Dak also.
Dak should leave no matter what. It is in his best interest.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That’s fine . I get it.

Only problem is if they do then they aren’t likely to stay.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I am not saying Stephen is better, but having simultaneously two different approaches is embarrassing.
My feeling is Son will not operate in same fashion as Jethro .

Mostly cause unlike daddy, Son would have a couple siblings to be accountable to.

I could see him taking over the Pres title but not GM.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
Rock, this is a discussion about the decision to keep McCarthy. If you don’t want to talk about it you’re free to move on.
If I was Mike, I'd tell the Joneses to stick it where the sun don't shine.