CFZ Why it would've have been better to fire McCarthy than make him a lame duck

Jumbo075

Reaction score
After the most embarrassing playoff loss in Cowboys history last January, it made more sense to fire Mike McCarthy and move on than making him a lame duck head coach on the last year of his contract. We have seen this coaching scenario in Big D three times before. In 2010 with Wade Phillips, in 2014 with Jason Garrett and 2019 with Garrett again. Only once (in 2014) did this situation translate to a successful season.

Big Mac has been here four seasons and he’s done a very good job in the regular season. But winning in the regular season is not enough if your team is serious about winning a championship. Winning 1 wild card game in 4 years is not good enough to me for a head coach. In the three losses he’s had in the playoffs here, in two of them his team was just not prepared.

So…IMO Here are the reasons this decision to keep McCarthy in the last year of contract makes little sense:
  • It will be very hard for this team to recover mentally from that packer loss with the same head coach. The first time this team has a bad half or bad game, it could easily cause a mental free fall like we saw in 2010 with Wade when that team started the season poorly.
  • The early part of the 2024 schedule is not particularly favorable which puts even more pressure on the situation.
  • By also having a bizarre off-season where this front office mostly sat on their hands when it came to getting better, it cannot give this lame duck HC, his staff and his players a feeling that the organization has pushed the chips forward for 2024.
  • By choosing to not be proactive with contracts AGAIN with several of its star players, it has the appearance that this season is a reset. Which would be fine IF you had a new HC.
The loss to the packers last January was just a complete collapse. How does a team recover mentally from that? And if you wanted to make 2024 the start of something new, why not start that process with a new head coach? Instead of that, we are left wondering what this front office is thinking and planning because in my decades of following this team, the 2024 off-season has been the biggest head scratcher I’ve ever seen.
I think McCarthy will be signed to a new contract with the Cowboys after this season ends. He might even be signed during the season. Three consecutive 12-win seasons count for something.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If I was Mike, I'd tell the Joneses to stick it where the sun don't shine.
If we have a good season he most likely will. I’d expect him gone probably either way.

He’s had enough success some bottom feeder team will want him.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think McCarthy will be signed to a new contract with the Cowboys after this season ends. He might even be signed during the season. Three consecutive 12-win seasons count for something.
That’s what I thought initially too. Same for Prescott. But the longer this lingers the less faith I have.

Chasing6

Reaction score
My feeling is Son will not operate in same fashion as Jethro .

Mostly cause unlike daddy, Son would have a couple siblings to be accountable to.

I could see him taking over the Pres title but not GM.
Jerry made the money. Stephens job is to not lose it.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
There was no good decision this offseason. McCarthy doesn’t deserve to be fired but also doesn’t deserve to be extended. Dak hasn’t deserved to be benched but also doesn’t deserve 60 million per year.

The front office just isn’t prepared to make these decisions and are hoping the decision is made for them by the team reaching new heights or new depths.

stiletto

Reaction score
The reason they didn't fire him is just about money. Ownership doesn't like to even pay coaches not to be there. They can't stand to do that. They'd rather take a mulligan for 2024 than make actual progress. It's lame.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The reason they didn't fire him is just about money. Ownership doesn't like to even pay coaches not to be there. They can't stand to do that. They'd rather take a mulligan for 2024 than make actual progress. It's lame.
Lawrence and Martin are near the end, Lamb and Parsons are still on rookie deals, yet they decide to take this year off.

Interesting plan.

They aren’t good at this.

stiletto

Reaction score
Lawrence and Martin are near the end, Lamb and Parsons are still on rookie deals, yet they decide to take this year off.

Interesting plan.

They aren’t good at this.
It's really stupid and the simple answer is usually the right one.. They "want something for their $$" rather than nothing and 2024 is it basically.

Chasing6

Reaction score
After the most embarrassing playoff loss in Cowboys history last January, it made more sense to fire Mike McCarthy and move on than making him a lame duck head coach on the last year of his contract. We have seen this coaching scenario in Big D three times before. In 2010 with Wade Phillips, in 2014 with Jason Garrett and 2019 with Garrett again. Only once (in 2014) did this situation translate to a successful season.

Big Mac has been here four seasons and he’s done a very good job in the regular season. But winning in the regular season is not enough if your team is serious about winning a championship. Winning 1 wild card game in 4 years is not good enough to me for a head coach. In the three losses he’s had in the playoffs here, in two of them his team was just not prepared.

So…IMO Here are the reasons this decision to keep McCarthy in the last year of contract makes little sense:
  • It will be very hard for this team to recover mentally from that packer loss with the same head coach. The first time this team has a bad half or bad game, it could easily cause a mental free fall like we saw in 2010 with Wade when that team started the season poorly.
  • The early part of the 2024 schedule is not particularly favorable which puts even more pressure on the situation.
  • By also having a bizarre off-season where this front office mostly sat on their hands when it came to getting better, it cannot give this lame duck HC, his staff and his players a feeling that the organization has pushed the chips forward for 2024.
  • By choosing to not be proactive with contracts AGAIN with several of its star players, it has the appearance that this season is a reset. Which would be fine IF you had a new HC.
The loss to the packers last January was just a complete collapse. How does a team recover mentally from that? And if you wanted to make 2024 the start of something new, why not start that process with a new head coach? Instead of that, we are left wondering what this front office is thinking and planning because in my decades of following this team, the 2024 off-season has been the biggest head scratcher I’ve ever seen.
Let's start a more productive topic like why it would be better to have a real GM instead of Jethro over the w last 28 years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Wouldn’t it be our luck we finally have a HC and QB who take us to a SB and we can’t get them signed . Lol

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
It's really stupid and the simple answer is usually the right one.. They "want something for their $$" rather than nothing and 2024 is it basically.
Jerry before Jay Ratliff and after Jay Ratliff. He's never been the same in free agency.

fivetwos

Reaction score
They simply are not.

It's one thing to be bad at something. It's whole other thing to be arrogant while being bad at something.
That’s the sad part. Losing is one thing. That happens. It’s losing this way that bothers me.

People point to recent twelve win seasons as success while not realizing that they could maybe have been championship seasons if management had a clue as to how to get them over the top and knew what it really took to win.

The idea that the draft alone is going to help you get over the top is a ridiculous notion, and appears to be the organizational plan for the rest of eternity.

At some point Jerry will be gone…and for one reason or another, Stephen will find himself in the desperate spot Jerry found himself in when he hired Parcells. I can hope anyway.

These two are just ridiculous with what they think of themselves. It’s sad, and nothing I signed up for as a kid…and I find it cute when I’m told to leave if I dont like it. I’d love for it to be that simple. No one would be reading this.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That wasn't the goal when he was hired.

He has been a complete failure so far in Dallas.

He has done nothing to be rewarded with a new contract.

fivetwos

Reaction score
That wasn't the goal when he was hired.

He has been a complete failure so far in Dallas.

He has done nothing to be rewarded with a new contract.
I wouldn’t call it complete failure.

He took them from 8 wins with the occasional one seed and historic playoff failure…. to 12 wins and historical playoff failure.

Gotta be an underlying reason why this team figures no need to show up for playoff games.

ArtClink

Reaction score

Great points and this front office defies logic. Head scratching moves and they say they’re all in with their words but their actions look like a senile old man who also drinks a lot is calling the shots and indeed he is.

Nothing in the organization is normal or makes good sense. Only a fool would bring back Ezekiel Elliot.

This season looks like we could see a complete collapse w a lame duck coach who honestly doesn’t deserve much of the blame. McCarthy is just another puppet hc with no power.

Sadly, a really bad season won’t force Jerry to mk real changes any more than the Packers humiliating playoff loss will. We are adrift w a drunken fool at the helm.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I agree. But maybe the high pick they get in 25 will be for a QB after the inevitable 2024 dumpster fire.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If being on the last year of his contract prevents him from winning, then he's not a very good coach.

The issue with firing a coach is finding a replacement. That is harder to accomplish when you make the playoffs because bad teams have a head start...