Why Jason Witten might not make the Hall of Fame

KB1122

Reaction score
Witten's signature 18-catch game:

18 receptions on 22 targets, 167 yards, 9.3 yards per reception, 0 touchdowns.

Cowboys lose to Giants, 29-24.

Definitive Jason Witten line.

Cmac

Reaction score
1a) Hall of Fame voters traditionally have hated the Cowboys.

1b) Hall of Fame voters have traditionally only voted in Cowboys when they are on championship teams.
I don't think there's a single Cowboy in the HOF who played in the 1980s or only in the 1960s. Or any since then. HOF voters would have to break that pattern and put two in for Witten to get in. Given Rule 1a, they will be loathe to do it. So any borderline candidate faces a certain inertia. .

2) There aren't many tight ends in the Hall of Fame. T
here were only 8 tight ends inducted prior to Tony Gonzalez going into the HoF a few years back. So the new generation would have to see a bump of 50 percent for Witten to be fairly certain of a spot. Gronk and Gonzalez are ahead of him. Antonio Gates should be. Travis Kelce probably has the jump. You might be able to make the case for some older tight ends. Not many. But Keith Jackson comes to mind.

3) Witten was very good but only occasionally great.
He was a Pro Bowler 11 times. But he was only first team All Pro twice, at least according to PFR. Gates was 3 times, Gronk has been 4 times, Gonzalez 51 times, and Kelce has already been 3 times. So Witten's sort of the Andre Reed of tight ends. Very good, and hung around a long time. Of course, Reed somehow got into the Hall of Fame. So maybe that's not such a bad thing to be.

4a) He was a traditional safety valve in an era when tight ends were downfield threats.
His competitors, in their best years, averaged 13-16 yards per catch. Witten averaged 9-11 for most of his seasons.

4b) Too many catches were of the "Romo hits Witten for 5 yards on 3rd and 7" variety.
My pet peeve. But I'll throw it in. When the others caught passes, it was a sign the offense was succeeding. When Witten caught them, it was a sign the offense was failing.

I think Witten will get in because he's well liked. But I don't think he's a sure thing. And I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a lot longer than people think.
You do realize you have shaken the leaves from the tree, with this topic?

The Realist

Reaction score

1b) Hall of Fame voters have traditionally only voted in Cowboys when they are on championship teams.
I don't think there's a single Cowboy in the HOF who played in the 1980s or only in the 1960s. Or any since then. HOF voters would have to break that pattern and put two in for Witten to get in. Given Rule 1a, they will be loathe to do it. So any borderline candidate faces a certain inertia. .

here were only 8 tight ends inducted prior to Tony Gonzalez going into the HoF a few years back. So the new generation would have to see a bump of 50 percent for Witten to be fairly certain of a spot. Gronk and Gonzalez are ahead of him. Antonio Gates should be. Travis Kelce probably has the jump. You might be able to make the case for some older tight ends. Not many. But Keith Jackson comes to mind.

He was a Pro Bowler 11 times. But he was only first team All Pro twice, at least according to PFR. Gates was 3 times, Gronk has been 4 times, Gonzalez 51 times, and Kelce has already been 3 times. So Witten's sort of the Andre Reed of tight ends. Very good, and hung around a long time. Of course, Reed somehow got into the Hall of Fame. So maybe that's not such a bad thing to be.

4a) He was a traditional safety valve in an era when tight ends were downfield threats.
His competitors, in their best years, averaged 13-16 yards per catch. Witten averaged 9-11 for most of his seasons.

4b) Too many catches were of the "Romo hits Witten for 5 yards on 3rd and 7" variety.
My pet peeve. But I'll throw it in. When the others caught passes, it was a sign the offense was succeeding. When Witten caught them, it was a sign the offense was failing.

I think Witten will get in because he's well liked. But I don't think he's a sure thing. And I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a lot longer than people think.

Have you looked at Tony G’s YPC?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
He's a lock for the HOF.

He's not the best TE ever. but he'd be ranked somewhere between 5-10 on most lists

Flamma

Reaction score

I didn't read through the entire thread, But Randy White, Tony Dorsett, and for one year, Aikman played in the 80s.

erod

Reaction score
He has the same odds as Adrian Peterson and Drew Brees.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I have mentioned this several times over the years, but it was very considerate how the eagles linebacker (#57) tackled Witten with a soft spin method to avoid hurting Witten's head.

i guess some Eagle players have a heart....hahahaha.

Still one of the greatest Cowboy plays of all-time.

blueblood70

Reaction score
witt is lock HOF but as OP nd others said with his own Era comps it might be tough to make it first ballot but he will go..no doubt HOF period

what gets lost on this board and fans in general in the new age era of football it all about analytics, splash plays brought on by FF leagues, madden type thinkers, and well the era of NFL transitioning to rules that make scoring easier.

so player even like Emmitt smith and others who did it for very long time and did it well yet not as flashy as Barry Sanders types make fans believe they were average players who just used volume and time to stack numbers..

that BS not all players are made the same and the league needs steady platers who can be labeled volume players all they want, playing in the nfl 10-15 years at a steady productive player is not easy at all..you get players in the HOF like Sayers who played 5 years because they appeared generational , i say ok but players like ES and Witt are more special because they are survivors of one the the toughest sports in the world and did their job at high level, they dont have to be special freak athlete to be in the HOF , so big plays are nice but steady dependable eddies are the fabric of a team, they are counted on for 60 mins not one or two big plays game..

zekes going though this being judged harshly against faster scat type backs with bigger play ability, well its not any different then Smith vs sanders and both made the HOF..Witt is HOF player and HOF human, he wore the star with pride and never embarrassed it..I prefer zeke type of Saquan type, if used properly they are always there when you need them...

its noticeable to the voters and he will make it..

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
The moment the helmet came off and he continued down the field, the HOF was a lock.

Ridiculous thread.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The moment the helmet came off and he continued down the field, the HOF was a lock.

Ridiculous thread.

Yep. The money shot.........

c5fb9e393a750024dc801b16041e8325.jpg

mardwin

Reaction score
Besides Tony Gonzalez and Gronk, Jason Witten was the top TE of his generation. I believe both Jason and Antonio Gates will end up in the hall of fame.

lostar2009

Reaction score
HOF and ROH. Dude remade the TE position group. Anything less and they will set Canton on fire man.

joseephuss

Reaction score
The only knock I can think of against witts game was his decision to rock that rugg

Was it his decision? I think there is some old school producer at MNF that insists that the guys have a certain amount of hair to be on air. Chris Berman's hair for his duties on MNF did not match his style on anything else he did for ESPN.