Why Jerry is trying to sign Dak now

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Sure, in theory.

But let's say you sign him early to a fairly sizable offer that carries large guaranteed money and Dak just continues to bump along as a mid-level QB. Then you have hamstrung yourself to a mediocre QB making big time money.

People are ignoring the reality that there is a downside here. Dak very well may end up being a true, elite, franchise QB. And maybe signing him now will end up being a real steal. But IMO, I think I'd let him play 2019 under his existing deal, make him put two good seasons back to back and then sign him long term or franchise tag him.

Sort of a D Law thing then eh. Not a bad plan at all. It's that top 5 QB price tag and guaranteed that is a bit onerous. Could happen tho

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
:lmao:Meanwhile In Philly.... 2019 Photo Shoot
HUM97NP.jpg

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Maybe Dak is willing to gamble. He could return under his rookie deal. He’s making money on endorsements so he’s not starving. He plays lights out and drives his own value way up.

Ever see anyone play lights out in a contract year? Does that ever happen? You betcha

BleedinBlue

Reaction score
Maybe Dak is willing to gamble. He could return under his rookie deal. He’s making money on endorsements so he’s not starving. He plays lights out and drives his own value way up.
Flacco bet on himself and played out his deal , won the SB and got a big contract.

Blake

Reaction score
You know NOTHING about me....and Mr. Cool here's a statement from the Pappy ...if and when (If Ever) Dak starts playing like a franchise QB I'll will be a pleasure to eat all the crow there is .....but got a feeling I'll be ordering Chinese or Pizza before Dak-Crow is served....dude has very little talent for the job he possess ...sorry but it is what it is....I'm wasting my time here with you Dak-Zoids as no matter how bad this guy plays you guys are paid Social media employees and promote him to the tilt or simply have other agendas that do not involve the game of football ....laters...

You're probably the least popular poster on this board; even among Dak's staunchest critics. You bring nothing to the table except the same low hanging fruit you always pick. If you did even an ounce of self reflecting, you would understand how certifiably dumb the rhetoric you spew makes you look.

Judging by your grammar and writing style, it's a safe bet that you have never read a single stat related article posted on this board; nor do you have the will or desire to, because that requires you to actually think. And we all know how difficult a task it is for you to use your brain to understand concepts beyond, "Hurdy dur.... Dak sucks!... hurdy dur!!"

So go on and be ignorant. Just don't try to drag the smarter people down to your level.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
The excuse making continues.

It was pretty damn clear from their statements this summer that they thought what they had at WR was good enough.

I'm not making excuses for anyone. They were exploring options for an X receiver early in the year. What I am saying is that the team knows which positions are critical for success. It isn't as if number one wide outs are readily available. That they wanted to see what success they might enjoy without an X receiver is one thing, but to say that they did not understand the value of having an X receiver is something else entirely.

I'm also saying that public statements to the fans should be taken with a grain of salt. don't expect the front office of any NFL team to stand up in front of its fan base, throw their hands in the air, and say 'We don't have the pieces of the puzzle to be successful.' Even the Browns didn't do that.

cowboyec

Reaction score
maybe Im wrong but Dak seems MORE likely to make/take a favorable deal to the long-term success of his team than to demand historic money that cripples it.
no drama.
no "me...me...me" coming from him...its always "we...we...we".
nothing about this guy points to its me or the high-way...take it or leave it.
it'll be like everything else....no drama....almost boring.
the only headlines will be Dak signs long term deal.
he's not a drama queen...and this wont be a drama queen like deal.
compared to others...it'll be....almost boring.
he's gonna get paid....and it wont tie up the franchise moving forward.
maybe Im wrong.
we'll see.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
maybe Im wrong but Dak seems MORE likely to make/take a favorable deal to the long-term success of his team than to demand historic money that cripples it.
no drama.
no "me...me...me" coming from him...its always "we...we...we".
nothing about this guy points to its me or the high-way...take it or leave it.
it'll be like everything else....no drama....almost boring.
the only headlines will be Dak signs long term deal.
he's not a drama queen...and this wont be a drama queen like deal.
compared to others...it'll be....almost boring.
he's gonna get paid....and it wont tie up the franchise moving forward.
maybe Im wrong.
we'll see.

I think you're right, and he's a better man than me for doing it. Of course, I've never been in his shoes, so I don't know. Nothing I'd like more than to see him take a team friendly deal and keep our core together for as long as possible.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Not going to get into this exact same debate...but I would like to put out a PSA.

STOP USING QB RATING. It was a stat designed to measure qbs in the 70’s, it’s not a valid form of indentifying good qb play in the year 2019.

What has changed so drastically to render the metric obsolete? And why wouldn’t it still be a useful tool for making QB comparisons (not across eras, but in the same year, for example) even if it’s not the best metric out there for evaluating QB play? Finally, and most importantly, if it correlates strongly to winning (and it does) don’t we have good reason to use it even if we don’t think it accurately measures which is the best QB? (Frankly, it seems a bit odd to argue that there are better metrics for evaluating QB play than how strongly it correlates with winning.)

AbeBeta

Reaction score
That’s not entirely true. A quick look at let’s say P. Manning’s career rating it does decrease from 13-15. I’m sure you can find a lot of similar stats, and I’m sure you can find stats that says the opposite. You didn’t need to do that to make what was actually a valid point.

Untrue.

His career numbers saw an increase at age 27 and a steady string of PRs in the high 90s and low 100s (aside from one year with a 120). His final year in Indy he posted a 91 PR - his lowest in 9 years. Manning's first three years in Denver saw PRs that were the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th highest of his career. One of those years, he set a single season record for TDs with 55, smashing the previous record by 5 TDs.

He was benched in the 4th year as he had clearly lost it. Those stats don't show a decline over the years - they show he should have hung them up before the final season.

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
I could see Denver really giving Dak a go. Though, he's not a FA until next season, so QB needs could change.

Washington will probably be on the market for a QB, Smith may never fully heal. The Titans might have a dilemma, Mariotta is due over $20 mill next year but has nerve damage in his neck (which is expected to recover but I haven't found a timeline). He's never played a full 16 games either.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
here is problem with that. Once you start paying Dak franchise money....he has to make everyone around him better.

Dallas with Dak costing nothing is not the same team as Dallas with Dak costing 20mil+ per season.

Dak has been a fantastic deal through his rookie contract. At 20mil+ per season, locked in for 5 years, he's an ok to poor deal.

I just don't think it's that hard to get a durable running QB who can accurately throw 5 yard passes.

But there's also the timeliness of Dak. He's here now. We've got a team that's peaking, but also with a lot of core players about to hit free agency. It's another "window" situation.

I'd prefer the Cowboys make Dak a two year offer. Franchise money for one year, spread out for the next 2 years. I think that's a win-win. Dak locks in some of his free agent money early. Cowboys get him on the field the next two years, and can look to develop another QB with White.

Note that the Cowboys can just try to get Dak to play on his rookie salary next year, then franchise him the next. The problem with that is I think Dak holds out in that case, but comes back in time to make sure that he accrues a league year and hits free agency in 2020. Hence the previous offer.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Pocket awareness is a big issue to me .doesn't know where to slide and can't feel pressure or recognize it wuick enough. Maybe he has Romo syndrome to never give up on the play

He has the Romo syndrome of not throwing the ball away.

tm1119

Reaction score
What has changed so drastically to render the metric obsolete? And why wouldn’t it still be a useful tool for making QB comparisons (not across eras, but in the same year, for example) even if it’s not the best metric out there for evaluating QB play? Finally, and most importantly, if it correlates strongly to winning (and it does) don’t we have good reason to use it even if we don’t think it accurately measures which is the best QB? (Frankly, it seems a bit odd to argue that there are better metrics for evaluating QB play than how strongly it correlates with winning.)

Are you really asking what has changed in the NFL passing game since 1973? How much time you got? Damn near a different sport...

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww.../5175398/why-passer-rating-is-not-a-good-stat

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/stat-sheet-misconceptions-passer-rating
“Chad Pennington is currently ranked as the 12th best quarterback of all time in terms of Passer Rating while Hall of Famer Joe Namath ranks 182nd. Clearly we have a problem.”

And using the stat to compare players of the same era is still using a flawed stat. QB rating only paints a small picture of qb play. And it puts way too much stock into simply completing passes rather than the affectivness and efficiency.

Eight_Trips

Reaction score
Dak is a hard QB to judge.

He's looked very good. He's looked very bad.

Definite pluses for running and durability.
Definite problems with anticipation, seeing the field, and accuracy.

Has an elite RB to help him out. Has a nightmare of an OC holding him back.

It's hard to get over the flat out misses of WRs running clear to the endzone.

One thing is probably true - Jerry, Mr. Rose Colored Glasses, will see the positives more clearly and compellingly than the negatives, and want to sign him.

Flat out spot on!

cowboyfan4lyfe

Reaction score
When you get past the media bs Dak is a good QB. 30mil no, If you can keep him at 25 this team can keep it's draft picks