Why Jerry is trying to sign Dak now

btcutter

Reaction score
Well hopefully he gives the Cowboys a discount deal like Brady did for the Pats. I know it would help if Dak marries a super model that makes more than him but still it would be nice.

I take some of the Cowboy cheerleaders over Gyzelle (just looks alone....but she's got a fortune). But that's just me....

Sydla

Reaction score
You do realize the offense was 23rd in Passing Yards because it was only 21st in Passing Attempts, right?

Just like the Cowboys running game was number 10 in Rushing Yards because they were number 10 in Rushing Attempts.

Generally speaking, more passing attempts typically leads to more passing yards and more rushing attempts lead to more rushing yards. Amazing how that works, right?

They are 16th in yards per attempt so they are still a fairly middling passing offense by just about any measure. Dive into the advanced stats, like DVOA and the like and what you see is a mediocre passing offense. It's hard to deny that at this point.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Dak plays like Jim Plunkett, let's see if he can win like Plunkett.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At any given time, how many Tier 1 QB's are there? Brees and Rodgers are two of them and only have 1 ring each so is that the path to glory? Brady is one but too much credit is given to him and not enough to how Belichick changes the team around him.

The Cowboys had the option of letting Dak play out his contract and tagging him or if he proved he was the QB in 2019, pay him accordingly. But they've jumped the gun with their mouths and now need to get something done.

Dak is Tier 2 and will most likely never be Tier 1 but that doesn't mean the Cowboys can't contend with him at QB. So, let me ask a question here. Was Staubach Tier 1? Aikman? They weren't the statmeisters when they played and look at the teams around them when they did win rings. Great skill position players on O and solid D's. I would suggest the Tier 1 players were around them, not them. Players like Starr, Bradshaw and even Montana, weren't they system QB's surrounded by great skill positions and solid D's?

Dak is good enough to be this team's QB1 for years to come as long as they focus on what's around him, including coaching. It's not about the QB; it is about the team.

Sydla

Reaction score
At any given time, how many Tier 1 QB's are there? Brees and Rodgers are two of them and only have 1 ring each so is that the path to glory? Brady is one but too much credit is given to him and not enough to how Belichick changes the team around him.

The Cowboys had the option of letting Dak play out his contract and tagging him or if he proved he was the QB in 2019, pay him accordingly. But they've jumped the gun with their mouths and now need to get something done.

Dak is Tier 2 and will most likely never be Tier 1 but that doesn't mean the Cowboys can't contend with him at QB. So, let me ask a question here. Was Staubach Tier 1? Aikman? They weren't the statmeisters when they played and look at the teams around them when they did win rings. Great skill position players on O and solid D's. I would suggest the Tier 1 players were around them, not them. Players like Starr, Bradshaw and even Montana, weren't they system QB's surrounded by great skill positions and solid D's?

Dak is good enough to be this team's QB1 for years to come as long as they focus on what's around him, including coaching. It's not about the QB; it is about the team.

Not a bad post. But the problem is that it seems likely that you are going to have to pay Prescott as if he's a Tier 1 guy.

I think part of the issue here is that some of the Dak fans are pushing for a long term contract because they think there is going to be some big discount here for signing him early. I suspect when all is said and done, what the Cowboys sign him for in a long term contract is going to be higher than some think it was going to be.

I have been called a Dak hater. But shoot, if I could get Dak signed for like $15MM a year and not a truck load of guaranteed money, I'd sign him too. But I don't think that's a very realistic price tag.

Qcard

Reaction score
it seems the front office knows Dak will be a hot commodity given his rapid development.

Since the Amari cooper trade Dak has a higher passer rating in his last 8 games than Drew Brees. His stats Projected over a 16 game season would have been 28 TDs 6INTs 110 passer rating

They know if they don’t sign him this offseason, far too many teams will back up the brinks truck for a 26 year old with a career passer rating higher than Tom Brady.
Yes sir...Jerry Jones has to face Market Value

The Vikings gave Cousins $84 million..

What value would Dak have to Jacksonville or 13 other teams?

Aftershock

Reaction score
Happy with any contract as long as we get him a new OC and QB coach to further his development. Prescott has the attitude and leadership to really improve a lot. Fix his accuracy and pocket presence and we have a decent QB for years to come...

Sydla

Reaction score
new OC and QB coach

business-man-pray-looking-up-isolated-55937694.jpg

SackMaster

Reaction score
They are 16th in yards per attempt so they are still a fairly middling passing offense by just about any measure. Dive into the advanced stats, like DVOA and the like and what you see is a mediocre passing offense. It's hard to deny that at this point.
Technically, T-14th since there are 3 teams with 7.4 ypa, but I understand what you are saying here.

Hey, I'm not saying that the Cowboys own a Juggernat passing offense, but a lot of that is done by design. Just look at Cowboys DVOA in 2015 without Romo pulling his magic to correct the faulty design, it was MUCH worse than it has been Post-Dak.

Could our passing offense be better? Absolutely, but it would take a special passer for us to get there.

But at the same time, it could be much, much, much worse without the special passer in at QB1.
:thumbup:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not a bad post. But the problem is that it seems likely that you are going to have to pay Prescott as if he's a Tier 1 guy.

I think part of the issue here is that some of the Dak fans are pushing for a long term contract because they think there is going to be some big discount here for signing him early. I suspect when all is said and done, what the Cowboys sign him for in a long term contract is going to be higher than some think it was going to be.

I have been called a Dak hater. But shoot, if I could get Dak signed for like $15MM a year and not a truck load of guaranteed money, I'd sign him too. But I don't think that's a very realistic price tag.
Dak will get paid more than that because of the escalating QB salaries all over the league and shortage of QB1's.

And the rule seems to be if you don't pay your guy what he wants, another team will. And that has been proven too many times.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Yes sir...Jerry Jones has to face Market Value

The Vikings gave Cousins $84 million..

What value would Dak have to Jacksonville or 13 other teams?

So if someone else paid $87,000 for a Toyota Corolla would you? Would you say that's the new market for a Corrolla? Or would you just call that person an idiot?

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Dak will get paid more than that because of the escalating QB salaries all over the league and shortage of QB1's.

And the rule seems to be if you don't pay your guy what he wants, another team will. And that has been proven too many times.

So what? You should be more worried positioning yourself to grab a guy like Herbert or Tua or even Lawrence the following year and using the franchise tag if needed. The Chiefs did that while still having a productive QB.

bsbellomy

Reaction score

That's me too. If it's a long term deal then it should contain some sort of bailout provision. But there isn't any part of me that wants to touch anything north of 25M, even that is pushing it. You want to put a hard ceiling on this team that's the fastest way to do it.

jsb357

Reaction score
It's is ironic that he was the only option to replace Romo because he's the perfect Romo replacement.

Has some dramatic win capability, and is just talented enough to keep the playoff talk alive.

That kinda stuff sell jerseys and tickets.

Jerry paid Romo tons of money (Romo agreed to a six-year, $108 million contract extension with $55 million
in guarantees and a $25 million signing bonus) at the time to do the same thing he's asking of Dak.

Keep the Cowboys competitive and in the playoff talk till the end of every season.

And that why he is trying to sign him now.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Maybe Dak is willing to gamble. He could return under his rookie deal. He’s making money on endorsements so he’s not starving. He plays lights out and drives his own value way up.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Sometimes people will feed you dak stats like it’s a mic drop moment as if you don’t have eyeballs and haven’t been watching this offense for years