Why keep Trey Lance in 2025 if the goal is saving money?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
His number will be 20+ million, for that price would it be best to just draft a rookie and have him sit this year, get ready for 2025 then to pay Lance all this money? I hope Lance plays well,I hope all of our Qb's play well, please give your thoughts

Carson

Reaction score
Lance is a fall back option if Dak goes into free agency / traded.

He won’t cost $20+ million. He likely would be extended in a 1-2 year prove it deal for much cheaper

If Dak is extended, Lance walks next year

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Lance is a fall back option if Dak goes into free agency / traded.

He won’t cost $20+ million. He likely would be extended in a 1-2 year prove it deal for much cheaper

If Dak is extended, Lance walks next year
Oh ok gotcha. Looking forward if he were to exceed expectations as Dak came in and had to play for us, he's surely going to ask for some money. Not saying it has to be 20 anything, but more than a cheap deal, maybe more than what rush is getting

baltcowboy

Reaction score
His number will be 20+ million, for that price would it be best to just draft a rookie and have him sit this year, get ready for 2025 then to pay Lance all this money? I hope Lance plays well,I hope all of our Qb's play well, please give your thoughts
The Cowboys are going to resign Dak. All the NFL insiders without agendas say the Cowboys and Dak will get the deal done. Lance is a kid that the Cowboys had a high second round grade on. If Lance and Cowboys like each other after this season, I could see him being the backup in 2025 as well.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
The Cowboys are going to resign Dak. All the NFL insiders without agendas say the Cowboys and Dak will get the deal done. Lance is a kid that the Cowboys had a high second round grade on. If Lance and Cowboys like each other after this season, I could see him being the backup in 2025 as well.
I would take my chances and maybe see what I can get as a starter somewhere else maybe???????????? If someone would take a chance, I'd listen at least, but who knows, I agree

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the above is true, what an incredibly expensive backup QB. So far we’ve given up a 4th round pick and at the moment Lance will be a $5.4 million cap hit next year and he’s never even taken a snap yet.

Unless Trey Lance somehow shows up in training camp and ps games this year as vastly improved to the point of being a future starter, the Trey Lance trade will go down as another example of Jerry Jones’ very poor trade track record. If I was a GM from any of the 31 other NFL teams, I would be proposing a trade every week with Jerry. He‘s an easy mark.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
they are not. I think they didn't pick up his 25 option. which means he is a FA

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
If the above is true, what an incredibly expensive backup QB. So far we’ve given up a 4th round pick and at the moment Lance will be a $5.4 million cap hit next year and he’s never even taken a snap yet.

Unless Trey Lance somehow shows up in training camp and ps games this year as vastly improved to the point of being a future starter, the Trey Lance trade will go down as another example of Jerry Jones’ very poor trade track record. If I was a GM from any of the 31 other NFL teams, I would be proposing a trade every week with Jerry. He‘s an easy mark.
loooooooooooooooooooooool Jerry Jones aka "fleeceme.com!" lol

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have already declined his 5th year option. So, he’s not making 22M next year.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I would take my chances and maybe see what I can get as a starter somewhere else maybe???????????? If someone would take a chance, I'd listen at least, but who knows, I agree
I am a Dak guy and I think the Cowboys should let him test free agency if the Cowboys don’t get a Super Bowl. The problem is Joneses are content to just make the playoffs and win 12 games a season. Oddly Dak has been consistently good when he is healthy and led the Cowboys to the playoffs 3 straight seasons. I get where the Joneses are coming from.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I am a Dak guy and I think the Cowboys should let him test free agency if the Cowboys don’t get a Super Bowl. The problem is Joneses are content to just make the playoffs and win 12 games a season. Oddly Dak has been consistently good when he is healthy and led the Cowboys to the playoffs 3 straight seasons. I get where the Joneses are coming from.
we've kind of set the bar with 12 wins, that brings them happiness, a real owner wouldn't be happy with that, but would want further success

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

I agree. We get blinded debating with each other about resigning Dak that we miss the bigger picture. Ultimately the way Jerry/Stephen have managed the Dak situation for years now has been horrible, and the Lance trade looks like an major L for these guys if they intend for him to be a long term backup.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. We get blinded debating with each other about resigning Dak that we miss the bigger picture. Ultimately the way Jerry/Stephen have managed the Dak situation for years now has been horrible, and the Lance trade looks like an major L for these guys if they intend for him to be a long term backup.
I’ve turned my brain into a pretzel trying to make logical sense out of the Lance trade. It is just a bad use of a 4th round pick and reeks of a move made by an 81 year old GM with a bad trade history and 28 years without a divisional playoff win.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
On one hand, I get trying to bring the kid in and look at him. A former high pick that is young and has shown some kind of talent.

On the other hand, feels like such a waste of time and a 4th round pick. If the kid showed anything, SF would have either kept him or moved him for a higher value. They knew right where to call. "Hi! Jerry? This is John Lynch. GM of the 49ers. How are you today?"

sunalsorises

Reaction score
I’ve turned my brain into a pretzel trying to make logical sense out of the Lance trade. It is just a bad use of a 4th round pick and reeks of a move made by an 81 year old GM with a bad trade history and 28 years without a divisional playoff win.
The only way this trade works at this point would be if Lance becomes the clear starter, they can trade him for more than they got, or he agrees to sign as a backup for a reasonable price. Options 1 and 2 seem like longshots. What would be the comp pick if Lance walks at the end of the season?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
we've kind of set the bar with 12 wins, that brings them happiness, a real owner wouldn't be happy with that, but would want further success
The Cowboys are Joneses legacy and business. They are very happy with the billions they bring in. Every NFL owner would want the Joneses success financially. They also have 3 Super Bowls even though that was 30 years ago.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Yes, the trade was a complete waste of time, money and draft capital. It also created zero negotiating leverage for GM Jethro.

Arguably the dumbest GM move of the year.

GM Jethro thought it was a smart move, so much so he wanted 100% credit for it, by intentionally not asking anyone else's opinion.