Why keep Trey Lance in 2025 if the goal is saving money?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dallas has until May 2nd to pick up his 5th year option. Google is your friend.
ok, you are such an NFL rules expert. (tap tap tap on your head). what a good boy. proud of you son.

dude, a little less caffeine would be good move for you. ease up on it einstein.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
GM Jethro has declared and informed Trance's agent, that they have no intentions of picking up his 5th year.
It's crazy of anyone to think that is even an option. The only way Lance gets $20M next year is on an incentive based deal, that best case scenario for him probably resembles the Jordan Love deal.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Does anyone truly believe Trey Lance will want to stick around to be 2nd or 3rd fiddle, get paid peanuts and not have a legit shot at starting while having that 5th year option and $23 million taken away from him???

Time to smell the roses! Lance will easily and quickly insist on becoming a free agent while trying his luck to sign elsewhere for more money and a legit chance to start.
The greatest QB in North Dakota State history, same place Lance played, a player with almost 100 NFL starts, a winning record as a starter in the NFL, has a Super Bowl ring, is happy to have a one year deal as a back up quarterback and get paid comparative peanuts ($3.5 million) with a team no way he’ll see the field. So, yes, I think Lance will be happy to sign with the Cowboys for a modest sum to continue his career in any capacity.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The greatest QB in North Dakota State history, same place Lance played, a player with almost 100 NFL starts, a winning record as a starter in the NFL, has a Super Bowl ring, is happy to have a one year deal as a back up quarterback and get paid comparative peanuts ($3.5 million) with a team no way he’ll see the field. So, yes, I think Lance will be happy to sign with the Cowboys for a modest sum to continue his career in any capacity.
No way. Not at Lance's young age. He doesn't want to waste his youthful years as a backup.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
No way. Not at Lance's young age. He doesn't want to waste his youthful years as a backup.
Agreed and I don't think he will have too much trouble getting a legitimate offer to compete for a starting position from someone. I bet he easily gets a 1 year deal with maybe 10M guaranteed plus some major incentives built in.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Sorry, but that makes no sense.

You don't pay Dak $50M+ a year because he is a quality starter.
Every nfl team in the league wants to pay $50 million a year to a qb that consistently throws for over 4000 yds and 30+ tds a full season. Most don't have that opportunity.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now see...it wasn't THAT hard.

So..to YOU " two sources "... is..."jethro"? Your great "source" there is HARDLY definitive "Junior". Pay Attention:

" The Cowboys, two sources tell CowboysSI.com, do not plan to exercise the fifth-year option on Lance in the spring of 2025, as that would cost about $25 million. ... but do plan on finding a way to keep him in Dallas."

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I’ve turned my brain into a pretzel trying to make logical sense out of the Lance trade. It is just a bad use of a 4th round pick and reeks of a move made by an 81 year old GM with a bad trade history and 28 years without a divisional playoff win.
It was like watching a kid who needs attention scream for it..."Hey look at me, look at what i did" while everyone is scratching their head on why...

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His number will be 20+ million, for that price would it be best to just draft a rookie and have him sit this year, get ready for 2025 then to pay Lance all this money? I hope Lance plays well,I hope all of our Qb's play well, please give your thoughts
This isn't a question that can be asked now because there are unknown factors that affect the answer..

Ultimately, it depends on what they do with Dak, and how much Lance can progress.. If Dak gets a contract extension, they won't keep Lance in 2025. If he doesn't, and Lance looks like he is developing well, they will keep Lance in 2025.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
This isn't a question that can be asked now because there are unknown factors that affect the answer..

Ultimately, it depends on what they do with Dak, and how much Lance can progress.. If Dak gets a contract extension, they won't keep Lance in 2025. If he doesn't, and Lance looks like he is developing well, they will keep Lance in 2025.
This is Jerry, and lets be real, it could come down to the fact Jerry himself traded for Lance...I would love to have faith that it will be a football logical decision but can we honestly say that is what normally happens with this FO?

Sydla

Reaction score
His number will be 20+ million, for that price would it be best to just draft a rookie and have him sit this year, get ready for 2025 then to pay Lance all this money? I hope Lance plays well,I hope all of our Qb's play well, please give your thoughts
Where did the $20MM come from?