Why keep Trey Lance in 2025 if the goal is saving money?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
His number will be 20+ million, for that price would it be best to just draft a rookie and have him sit this year, get ready for 2025 then to pay Lance all this money? I hope Lance plays well,I hope all of our Qb's play well, please give your thoughts
If Lance is getting $20 million from anyone next year that means that he stepped in as the starter and proved he was worthy of starting. Most likely, we either re-sign him to a backup deal or he goes somewhere else on a prove-it deal, because he isn't likely to get a chance to show he's worth more than that because he won't be the starter unless Dak gets hurt.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
If Lance is getting $20 million from anyone next year that means that he stepped in as the starter and proved he was worthy of starting. Most likely, we either re-sign him to a backup deal or he goes somewhere else on a prove-it deal, because he isn't likely to get a chance to show he's worth more than that because he won't be the starter unless Dak gets hurt.
Full disclosure, I think the Cowboys should sign Dak as I believe he is a quality quarterback. But, if they have decided he’s is not going to be their quarterback for the next three to five years, get him gone. Play Lance and see if “there’s a there, there”. My guess is it will be a debacle. At the very least it will require the Cowboys to make the difficult decisions that have to be made. No fans are going to bail on the team. Those threats are just frustration. Understandable under the circumstances, but Cowboys fans are not going to stop being Cowboys fans. What’s the adage? “Every long journey starts with the first step”? It might be time.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Full disclosure, I think the Cowboys should sign Dak as I believe he is a quality quarterback. But, if they have decided he’s is not going to be their quarterback for the next three to five years, get him gone. Play Lance and see if “there’s a there, there”. My guess is it will be a debacle. At the very least it will require the Cowboys to make the difficult decisions that have to be made. No fans are going to bail on the team. Those threats are just frustration. Understandable under the circumstances, but Cowboys fans are not going to stop being Cowboys fans. What’s the adage? “Every long journey starts with the first step”? It might be time.
I'd agree with that. If they are not going to sign him, then move on. Don't let him play out his contract. Find out if Lance can be the answer, and if he can't then it's likely we'll have an early pick to try to find one.

However, I have zero expectation that Dallas will not sign Prescott to a long-term deal. This is the Joneses' excuse for not doing anything in free agency: They have to sign Dak and Lamb and it won't be cheap.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If Dallas had retained their 4th round pick and used it to draft a QB in the upcoming draft, it's unlikely that QB would be better than Lance. The issue is that the drafted QB would not only be cheaper, but Dallas would have his rights for years. Could Dallas have renegotiated Lance's contract as part of the trade? Seems like an expensive 1-year look.
I could make an argument that only one quarterback in this draft has more talent then Lance.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Sorry, but that makes no sense.

You don't pay Dak $50M+ a year because he is a quality starter.
I’m not going to debate the amount of money QBs are being paid. It is extraordinary. That’s what makes no sense, to me. Is it absurd to pay Dak Prescott $50M+ a year. I think so. But I don’t set the market rate. The important thing is make a decision on a direction and get started down that path. There was movie with Terry Bradshaw years ago, silly movie, titled “Failure To Launch”. That is today’s Dallas Cowboys.

Chasing6

Reaction score
They have until May 2nd (2024) to formally decide yay or nay. Not many significant snaps between now and then. Since the option is over $20 million for the fifth year I’m guessing it will be nay. They’ll extend him a very modest deal, I agree, likely the minimum allowed by the CBA, zero $’s guaranteed.
5th year option is dead. Jerry already said he is passing. Move on already.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
His number will be 20+ million, for that price would it be best to just draft a rookie and have him sit this year, get ready for 2025 then to pay Lance all this money? I hope Lance plays well,I hope all of our Qb's play well, please give your thoughts
Jerry messed up royally. Using a much needed 2024 4th round draft pick on a 3rd string BUST QB who will be owed $23 million if kept in 2025 is beyond ludicrous. It doesn't matter what excuses anyone says. It was a very dumb, unnecessary and very costly move on Jerry's part.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Jerry messed up royally. Using a much needed 2024 4th round draft pick on a 3rd string BUST QB who will be owed $23 million if kept in 2025 is beyond ludicrous. It doesn't matter what excuses anyone says. It was a very dumb, unnecessary and very costly move on Jerry's part.
They don’t have to pay him that. They can decline the 5th year option, which they’ve indicated they’re going to do, and offer him compensation commensurate with his current value.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
They don’t have to pay him that. They can decline the 5th year option, which they’ve indicated they’re going to do, and offer him compensation commensurate with his current value.
Does anyone truly believe Trey Lance will want to stick around to be 2nd or 3rd fiddle, get paid peanuts and not have a legit shot at starting while having that 5th year option and $23 million taken away from him???

Time to smell the roses! Lance will easily and quickly insist on becoming a free agent while trying his luck to sign elsewhere for more money and a legit chance to start.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Rather Lance works out or not, it WAS an appropriate gamble. Lance came in the NFL after technically 1 year of college. By all metrics and I suggest some of you guys go look at his Wonderlic scores and his other processing testings. Think of how Jordan Love looks now vs what he looked like in his first 2 yrs. Taking him knowing he would get at least one to two years to develop out of the spot light was worth the risk. Now potentially the reason to let Dak walk is on the roster now.
On top of that, your starting QB is gobbling up a huge portion of the salary cap, holding the team hostage by signing shorter term deals that forces them to renegotiate every 2-3 years, while not being the X factor.

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
you're right my fault, we can hope he doesn't go to another team, who knows
No he's not right. He's wrong. Dallas has until May 2nd to apply the 5th year option.. Dallas will have a hundred million dollars next year so that $20 million won't matter.

KevinHickey22

Reaction score
My guess is, they like what he is doing around the facility and waiting to see how he performs on the field. If he performs well; they will do a deal with him to be our starter.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Why keep this year when he will never play?

We did we trade for him to begin with?