Why keep Trey Lance in 2025 if the goal is saving money?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Yes, the trade was a complete waste of time, money and draft capital. It also created zero negotiating leverage for GM Jethro.

Arguably the dumbest GM move of the year.

GM Jethro thought it was a smart move, so much so he wanted 100% credit for it, by intentionally not asking anyone else's opinion.
tell him next time he makes a trade make sure it's a trade for a player that can help us during the season

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I’ve turned my brain into a pretzel trying to make logical sense out of the Lance trade. It is just a bad use of a 4th round pick and reeks of a move made by an 81 year old GM with a bad trade history and 28 years without a divisional playoff win.
It was purely down to giving an impression that there was an option 'that'll show Dak and bring him to the table'.....face plant.
As we know Jerry can't make deals, unless it involves paying the most money.... who was it again who championed the CAP?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was purely down to giving an impression that there was an option 'that'll show Dak and bring him to the table'.....face plant.
As we know Jerry can't make deals, unless it involves paying the most money.... who was it again who championed the CAP?
Yep. The Cowboys FO seems perfectly content to use the cap as an excuse for why they “can’t sign FAs” while the rest of the league under the same cap rules says, “Hold my beer” then makes a ton of moves.

Jerry likes having the cap’s fiscal restraints to maximize profits but has somehow never figured out how to win multiple playoff games in the same year in the cap era. His playoff success is pretty much limited by two factors:
1. Having a brilliant HOF head coach calling the shots
2. Pre-salary cap era rules.

He's never done much in the playoffs without those two things on his side.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
If Dallas had retained their 4th round pick and used it to draft a QB in the upcoming draft, it's unlikely that QB would be better than Lance. The issue is that the drafted QB would not only be cheaper, but Dallas would have his rights for years. Could Dallas have renegotiated Lance's contract as part of the trade? Seems like an expensive 1-year look.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Oh ok gotcha. Looking forward if he were to exceed expectations as Dak came in and had to play for us, he's surely going to ask for some money. Not saying it has to be 20 anything, but more than a cheap deal, maybe more than what rush is getting
He’s already being paid more than Rush. Rush is being paid $2,250,000 for the 2024 season. Trey Lance gets paid $4,500,000 on the fifth day of camp in July. This is managing player compensation Dallas Cowboys style.

Chasing6

Reaction score
His number will be 20+ million, for that price would it be best to just draft a rookie and have him sit this year, get ready for 2025 then to pay Lance all this money? I hope Lance plays well,I hope all of our Qb's play well, please give your thoughts
Why keep him in 2024 when he is not going to play and then be a FA?

Why did we trade for him in the first place???

Why give the team you are trying to gain ground on a 4th round pick and an extra $5M?

Chasing6

Reaction score
His number will be 20+ million, for that price would it be best to just draft a rookie and have him sit this year, get ready for 2025 then to pay Lance all this money? I hope Lance plays well,I hope all of our Qb's play well, please give your thoughts
If Dak and Rush are gone in free agency, why stop at $20M?

GM Jethro will have no QB under contract next season. Having all 3 QB's contracts expiring at the same time, is some kind of next level of GM genius.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
If Dak and Rush are gone in free agency, why stop at $20M?

GM Jethro will have no QB under contract next season. Having all 3 QB's contracts expiring at the same time, is some kind of next level of GM genius.
If he makes a good move after the draft, we will all forget and call him a genius! (I won't, I don't believe in things with this team until it happens!)

Chasing6

Reaction score
If he makes a good move after the draft, we will all forget and call him a genius! (I won't, I don't believe in things with this team until it happens!)
I don't see how he could make a good move after the draft. If he did, he will just look dumb for not doing it earlier.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I don't see how he could make a good move after the draft. If he did, he will just look dumb for not doing it earlier.
I'm trying to give this man all avenues of success and you're killing them, I surrender!!!! (great job chasing!)

plasticman

Reaction score
Trey Lance will compete for the starting job in 2025. That's the plan.

I think, unless the Cowboys go to the Super Bowl, this is Dak's last season with them.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
They’re not going to exercise the option unless he plays significant snaps and blows them away. They will probably extend him to a modest deal and use leverage of what they’re done for him. So yes that is saving money coog.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Trey Lance will compete for the starting job in 2025. That's the plan.

I think, unless the Cowboys go to the Super Bowl, this is Dak's last season with them.
Lance is a free agent in 2025 though. Are you paying him $15m to keep him away from free agency to compete for a spot?

plymkr

Reaction score
Lance is a fall back option if Dak goes into free agency / traded.

He won’t cost $20+ million. He likely would be extended in a 1-2 year prove it deal for much cheaper

If Dak is extended, Lance walks next year
Yeah this is pretty much the plan as written by Mike Fisher. He wrote an article that the plan is to decline Trey’s 5th year option and sign him to backup money/prove it contract. Now this article was written prior to the Green Bay meltdown so who knows what the trauma of Green Bay did to the overall “plans”. If there ever was a plan. Sometimes I feel the plan is to wing it and hope for the best.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Not sure when people are going to accept that this trade was about Jerry playing with his toy. That’s why it makes little sense.

He couldn’t wait to boast over how it supposedly wouldn’t have happened if the Cowboys didn’t have the advantage of the front office structure that they do.

He claimed it only happened since he didn’t have to approve it with anyone else. No Jerry, it happened because you outbid everyone else by two rounds.

It’s also quite plausibly a scenario where Stephen didn’t like it but had to ‘let him have this one,’ which is very likely another huge problem behind the scenes. They do not at all appear to be on the same page.

Again, I never misinterpreted “all in,” but it should never have meant the complete opposite.

Hope to repaint bedrooms all you want, but the foundation of the house is shot. Let’s wait and see.

raven55

Reaction score
the whole lance trade was stupid from the get go but hat do you expect from dumb and dumber the whole football game of GM is out of there league better stick to oil and gas

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
They’re not going to exercise the option unless he plays significant snaps and blows them away. They will probably extend him to a modest deal and use leverage of what they’re done for him. So yes that is saving money coog.
They have until May 2nd (2024) to formally decide yay or nay. Not many significant snaps between now and then. Since the option is over $20 million for the fifth year I’m guessing it will be nay. They’ll extend him a very modest deal, I agree, likely the minimum allowed by the CBA, zero $’s guaranteed.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
They have until May 2nd (2024) to formally decide yay or nay. Not many significant snaps between now and then. Since the option is over $20 million for the fifth year I’m guessing it will be nay. They’ll extend him a very modest deal, I agree, likely the minimum allowed by the CBA, zero $’s guaranteed.

I didn’t know when they had to pull the trigger I figured it was a bit later than May 2nd lol. Yea, they won’t be picking that up.