Why no talk of Dak Prescott in the 2nd or 3rd?

Reaction score
Bet a lot of the guys here are eating some crow right now. Personally, I had no idea he would be this good, although I WAS very impressed with him at the Gruden QB Camp.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bet a lot of the guys here are eating some crow right now. Personally, I had no idea he would be this good, although I WAS very impressed with him at the Gruden QB Camp.

Then you had the folks who just thought the 3rd stringer Goff was the greatest thing since sliced bread @stasheroo :D

Reaction score
Then you had the folks who just thought the 3rd stringer Goff was the greatest thing since sliced bread @stasheroo :D
I can honestly say that I was NOT one of them. I think he just looks soft. I know it's only the preseason, but Dak is making many so-called experts look bad. I'm encouraged with how he came into the Seattle game after Romo got hurt, & played so well vs the Seahawks' ones.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I was wrong about Goff. It's so hard projecting these guys coming out of college, but for being 'the most pro-ready QB in the draft' you don't really expect to see the guy on Hard Knocks learning hand placement for taking snaps under center. Or debating where the sun rises or sets, for that matter.

There was a lot to like about Dak. He's a dude that either was completely mis-scouted re: his mechanics or who just improved at an exponential rate during the process. You still have guys like Broaddus saying he looks awful in practice (this goes directly against everything the players have consistently said about Dak, so I take his opinion with a Broaddus-sized grain of salt). But physically and in regards to his leadership and poise, Dak was always well-liked by most people who'd ever seen him play. His only issue was that he had to be developed.

Speaking of which, given all the debate about our offensive coaches and their ability to develop QB talent, isn't it amazing the job they've done with him and how far Dak's come, so fast, since he's been in Dallas? Truly inspirational. That, or talent really does matter more than people like to admit when it comes to developing players at this level.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I didn't realize that the story was finished after 4 preseason games? So Goff is officially a 'bust' while Prescott's 'bust' is being worked on for Canton?

I guess it's OK to rush to judgement if it's something that favors the Cowboys, otherwise we're scolded for being impatient and called 'silly'?

Nice double-standard going around the place. You guys must be so proud.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't realize that the story was finished after 4 preseason games? So Goff is officially a 'bust' while Prescott's 'bust' is being worked on for Canton?

I guess it's OK to rush to judgement if it's something that favors the Cowboys, otherwise we're scolded for being impatient and called 'silly'?

I was with you on Goff coming out, but for the #1 pick overall to be playing 3rd string in the regular season--which is what looks like is happening...that's pretty damning. Even if he puts it together and ends up having a great career, the measurement of where he was coming out was way off. I think it's fair to say that after just the preseason. One of Goff's big selling points was that he was reportedly the most pro-ready QB in the entire draft. Guess what? He wasn't.

His own fans are calling him 'Jared Gaffe' before he plays his first game. Now, we know fans aren't famous for their patience or their accuracy when it comes to snap evaluations of players. But that still says something.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was with you on Goff coming out, but for the #1 pick overall to be playing 3rd string in the regular season--which is what looks like is happening...that's pretty damning. Even if he puts it together and ends up having a great career, the measurement of where he was coming out was way off. I think it's fair to say that after just the preseason. One of Goff's big selling points was that he was reportedly the most pro-ready QB in the entire draft. Guess what? He wasn't.

His own fans are calling him 'Jared Gaffe' before he plays his first game. Now, we know fans aren't famous for their patience or their accuracy when it comes to snap evaluations of players. But that still says something.

I'll certainly admit that it hasn't been a good start for him, but I don't think anybody is ready to pull the plug after four preseason games, do you? And if they're not, I don't think we should either. I'm night anyway.

I will definitely be hoping for the best for Prescott, but I won't be rooting for failure for Goff either.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Nope.

Not finished at all.

By the end of the story Goff could be a multi-year all-pro and Dak could be out of the NFL for several seasons.

It just goes to show how incredibly difficult it is to find a starting quality QB.

Don't take this stuff so seriously Stash. :)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nope.

Not finished at all.

By the end of the story Goff could be a multi-year all-pro and Dak could be out of the NFL for several seasons.

It just goes to show how incredibly difficult it is to find a starting quality QB.

Don't take this stuff so seriously Stash. :)

You're right, sorry about that.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
I live in Mississippi and have watched just about every game. He is a good kid and a good college QB, but he will be lucky to stay on a team as a backup. He is not pro QB material. He simply does not have the talent.
:omg:

;)