Why no talk of Dak Prescott in the 2nd or 3rd?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I live in Mississippi and have watched just about every game. He is a good kid and a good college QB, but he will be lucky to stay on a team as a backup. He is not pro QB material. He simply does not have the talent.

You may want to a repost on this one jnday! LOL!

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here are a couple of comments on his weaknesses from NFL.com draft profile.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/dak-prescott?id=2555260

"Accuracy on intermediate and deep throws dropped sharply. Pocket poise has been compromised. Hyper aware of pressure around him and lacks awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make throw. Concern over pressure too often trumps ability to get through progressions."

Or in other words, he has happy feet and stares at the rush instead of looking downfield.

"Footwork is a mess. Slight stride onto stiff upper leg with little weight shift. Restricted follow through and too often tries to muscle throws with upper body."

Or in other words, his throwing mechanics are laughable for an NFL caliber QB.

"Throws to target rather than leading or throwing them open on short/intermediate throws. Too respectful of underneath coverage and must be more willing to challenge the defense. Needs to improve anticipation."

Or in other words, he cant throw to an area that the WR is going to be in when the ball arrives, he has to throw directly in line of sight to a stationary target. This makes him pretty much useless in a timing based offense...........oh, wait...........the Cowboys run mainly a timing based offense.

"NFL Comparison: Brett Hundley"

That really all you need to know right there.

Just think what he would do with GOOD mechanics... :D

Brett Hundley my arse.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You got me. Heheh. Gotta eat that crow....for now.

You're a good guy LP. :)

I don't, I mean who could expect Dak to perform continually like he has... That ain't gonna happen but if he was good enough to take the reigns from Romo one day and the offense not skip a beat? That's all I would ask for.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And this is why you can't listen to everything you here. Some folks just love puking non-sense out their mouths. Dak Prescott is a good QB that if giving a year or two to learn the dynamics of the pro game, could be very good. The Cowboys know him well, as they have visited with him fours times already over the last couple of months. So, it won't be a surprise if they pick him up via the mid rounds. He has over 70 passing TDs and 40 rushing TDs against teams within the strongest Conference in college football..the SEC. A career 62% completion rating. He's beat LSU, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Auburn, Kentucy, Missorri, Lousiana Tech, Ole Miss, and Texas A&M to name a few. And to top it off, he's a humble, RKG type player. So excuse me if I disagree with the above poster. He obviously didn't watch Dak carry Miss St the last three years. And unlike the guys at Ohio St... Name another player that helped Dak be successful. He WILL be a late round steal for some team. So let other teams give up their whole draft for guys from North Dakota st., I'd be perfectly happy with letting Dak learn from Romo
:bow:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
excellent size 6'2 230, he's accurate. He would be a nice QB to groom for the future

Just a guy with a lot of doubters out there. Those doubters are here as well who gave little thought to Dak before the draft and then after the draft complained that he would be a failure using past mid rd picks as their examples.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think there is much talk about him in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I would hazard to say we can get him in the 4th round if we play our cards right...we might even be able to get him with one of our Comp picks.

<time traveling post>

DFWJC

Reaction score
One or two of these 4-5 QBs taken in rounds 2-4 will end up being better than at least one of Wentz ,Goff, or Lynch.

We just saw the top 3 QBs taken in 2012--Luck, RG3, Tannihill--and in round three Seattle get Russell Wilson.

It will happen
hoping.....

dogberry

Reaction score
As a buy high, sell low kind of guy, where did the Cowboys have Prescott rated?

2nd round?