Why not grab Baker Mayfield? Dak may not be the answer

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Of course at this point we can't compare him to those quarterbacks, they were seasoned veterans. Have you ever seen a 4th round pick quarterback with only 6 years experience like Dak get compared to the well seasoned veteran quarterbacks with total 10 to 15 years body of work??? I can't think of no 4th rounder in history other than Dak who's 5 or 6 years was compared to 15 year veterans. Thats crazy.

As far as Matt Stafford "quickly" winning a Superbowl.... half the quarterbacks in the NFL including Dak, would have won a superbowl with that Rams defense, throwing to OBJ and Kupp, and McVay calling the plays.

Lest we forget that Romo and Dak were stuck with The Clapper for 10 years.

basel90

Reaction score
Of course at this point we can't compare him to those quarterbacks, they were seasoned veterans. Have you ever seen a 4th round pick quarterback with only 6 years experience like Dak get compared to the well seasoned veteran quarterbacks with total 10 to 15 years body of work??? I can't think of no 4th rounder in history other than Dak who's 5 or 6 years was compared to 15 year veterans. Thats crazy.

As far as Matt Stafford "quickly" winning a Superbowl.... half the quarterbacks in the NFL including Dak, would have won a superbowl with that Rams defense, throwing to OBJ and Kupp, and McVay calling the plays.
there are many actually who were drafted late and won or made the super bowl ; Staubach ( 10th round ) ,Brady, Rypien , Gannon, Hasselbeck, Joe Theisman , Brad Johnson etc.
Stafford had a stellar year and is a more accomplished QB accuracy and the ability to read defenses and arm strength. The cowboys could have had him during the lull with the Dak negaociation as he was willing to come back home and would not have cost as much as dak .
But that is history now.

GINeric

Reaction score
there are many actually who were drafted late and won or made the super bowl ; Staubach ( 10th round ) ,Brady, Rypien , Gannon, Hasselbeck, Joe Theisman , Brad Johnson etc.
Stafford had a stellar year and is a more accomplished QB accuracy and the ability to read defenses and arm strength. The cowboys could have had him during the lull with the Dak negaociation as he was willing to come back home and would not have cost as much as dak .
But that is history now.

Brady is the GOAT. Staubach, Rypien, and Theismann all were damn good quarterbacks, but I imagine that playing in the PRE- free agency period really helped when you played with the same teammates for 12 to 15 years instead of this bounce around era.

Hasselbeck and Johnson were both solid as well, Gannon too. Great breakdown!!!

But here's the question.... which one of those quarterbacks got drafted very low like Dak did and had higher expectations than 1st round quarterbacks???

basel90

Reaction score
Brady is the GOAT. Staubach, Rypien, and Theismann all were damn good quarterbacks, but I imagine that playing in the PRE- free agency period really helped when you played with the same teammates for 12 to 15 years instead of this bounce around era.

Hasselbeck and Johnson were both solid as well, Gannon too. Great breakdown!!!

But here's the question.... which one of those quarterbacks got drafted very low like Dak did and had higher expectations than 1st round quarterbacks???
none had the same expectations , you are right. I think once dak refused the 28 mil then the 36 mil offer from jerry and demanded a top 2-3 Elite QB contract, the scrutiny was full blown . plus being the QB of the cowboys always has added attention and scrutiny . It may be unfair according to his abilities , but his contract demands resulted in elevated expectations. Next season will show us if he will take any step forward .

basel90

Reaction score
Dak may not be the answer?

What's the question?

Dak and the Cowboys have made a very expensive commitment. How are they going to pay both QB's? Even the "dead" money from cutting or trading him would be prohibitive.

If Dak suddenly regresses completely then we can talk about it next season but it is too late for this season. Anyway, if Dak was that bad then the Cowboys are that bad and they will most likely deserve a top pick in the draft. Next draft is supposed to be QB rich in the 1st round.
agree, not many options at this stage. this coming season will tell us a lot

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
This is the type of thread that certify some Cowboys fans as completely insane .

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
none had the same expectations , you are right. I think once dak refused the 28 mil then the 36 mil offer from jerry and demanded a top 2-3 Elite QB contract, the scrutiny was full blown . plus being the QB of the cowboys always has added attention and scrutiny . It may be unfair according to his abilities , but his contract demands resulted in elevated expectations. Next season will show us if he will take any step forward .
None of what you said has any degree of truth. You have shown yourself to be a story making poster, ala the GMs are trying to stick it to Cleveland by not trading for baker....

The issue with the contract wasn't numbers. It was number of years. Dak wanted a shorter contract. Jerry wanted longer. In fact it was reported that Dak was ready to sign but his agent pushed back.

In the end the compromise was a 4 year contract disguised as a 6 year contract. And let's not forget they had a chance to extend him way before that at around 22M and Stephen played hardball

Then again I am not surprised since you didn't even know Brees and Manning hadn't win a playoff games in their first 4 or 5 years when using them as examples in your argument.

You don't do an research on readily available information. You just make it up as you go along.

basel90

Reaction score
None of what you said has any degree of truth. You have shown yourself to be a story making poster, ala the GMs are trying to stick it to Cleveland by not trading for baker....

The issue with the contract wasn't numbers. It was number of years. Dak wanted a shorter contract. Jerry wanted longer. In fact it was reported that Dak was ready to sign but his agent pushed back.

In the end the compromise was a 4 year contract disguised as a 6 year contract. And let's not forget they had a chance to extend him way before that at around 22M and Stephen played hardball

Then again I am not surprised since you didn't even know Brees and Manning hadn't win a playoff games in their first 4 or 5 years when using them as examples in your argument.

You don't do an research on readily available information. You just make it up as you go along.
first of all, how do you know ?? second of all , you are wrong . the issue is that jerry had offered him 28 mil year and dak wanted 40+ if you do the math you will know that 3-4 years with 28 or 40 is still a big difference.
You have a penchant to start name calling and make wild accusations and grandstanding claims. Neither me nor you know exactly what happend as we are not party to these transactios and negociations. Heck , Dak's brother wanted him out of Dallas and posted it on twitter.
Bottom line ,you don't know everything sir and this is a discussion forum .Take a step back and be self aware. have a good weekend.

kskboys

Reaction score
first of all, how do you know ?? second of all , you are wrong . the issue is that jerry had offered him 28 mil year and dak wanted 40+ if you do the math you will know that 3-4 years with 28 or 40 is still a big difference.
You have a penchant to start name calling and make wild accusations and grandstanding claims. Neither me nor you know exactly what happend as we are not party to these transactios and negociations. Heck , Dak's brother wanted him out of Dallas and posted it on twitter.
Bottom line ,you don't know everything sir and this is a discussion forum .Take a step back and be self aware. have a good weekend.
You cannot converse w/ the Dak lovers or haters, just FYI. They will surround you w/ inanities and drag you down to their level.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
OMG, you are so confused. so uninformed. you are miximg up which years and what number and when in the discussion. you yourself admited you were surprised that Brees and Manning hadn't won playoff games their first few years and Brees to even later in his career. information and knowledge that 80%+ on this board knew. why is this relevant, because you are come across as greatly uninformed and you just make things up as you go because its again so obvious you have an agenda to drive and all facts be damned in the process. what year was the offer around 28M? when did the final contract get signed? did you know at one point there was a 24-26M offer in discussion. yes, 28 to 40 is a big difference. good for you to have figured out the 3rd grade math. but let me educate you, its the NFL, every year the salary goes up and market gets adjusted. I know that is a very difficult concept to grasp for you, since you just started to realize 40 is a larger number than 28 and oh so proudly are posting it.

and I didn't name call. I called out Bullshiet. you seem upset I called your bullshiet, given seemingly you just want to story tell and write fantasy as you go along because first you have an agenda to drive, secondly your goal is to win an argument in a post, regardless of what you have said in the past and contradict yourself through out the process.

yes, have a good weekend. if you have time, do a little research, educate yourself before you try to argue a point, you have no clue about. it makes you look really childish. you are welcome

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I live in Cleveland, and I can say that the Browns fans here pretty much seem to want Baker gone, but they're also really peeved about the Watson deal. Same old Browns seems to be the sentiment around here.
oh, cleveland got hosed on the watson deal. no doubt. watson hasn't played a down in more than a year and already got two raises, one from houston and now one from Cleveland and still not sure if he will play or not.

and yeah, this is a conspiracy according to @basel90 because the NFL wants to stick it to cleveland and all the other 31 GMs are just trying to drive the price down and wait until last minute to trade for Baker just to give a rasberry to Browns GM....

:lmao2::lmao:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
oh, cleveland got hosed on the watson deal. no doubt. watson hasn't played a down in more than a year and already got two raises, one from houston and now one from Cleveland and still not sure if he will play or not.

and yeah, this is a conspiracy according to @basel90 because the NFL wants to stick it to cleveland and all the other 31 GMs are just trying to drive the price down and wait until last minute to trade for Baker just to give a rasberry to Browns GM....

:lmao2::lmao:

I'm just going to leave it that we are FAR better off with Dak than Baker. Far better

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I don't understand why Dak can't have any competition.

As fans, that's the number 1 thing we should be upset about: that we're the Dallas Cowboys and there's not even the slightest bit of training camp competition at quarterback. We just hand it to some bum who's literally THE best bum beater in the league.

So, yeah, as much as I like Dak, I would totally be on board with placing Mayfield behind him.

After all, it's smart to have a good back up quarterback. Seriously, is Dak such a wus that he just can't have any competition? Why can't Dak be like Parsons, welcome it, and prove you're the best? That's the problem we have with our team anyway.

We got rid of Amari Cooper for playing to avoid contact, impact. But Dak is also doing the same thing. Maybe, just maybe he gets injured.. Or maybe he doesn't and Mayfield rides the bench at practice.

Either way, it's wise for a team to have a decent back up QB. So maybe we make a trade for Mayfield, to light a fire under Dak, which is really what I think this team needs.