Why not Vinatieri???

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
stiletto said:
It makes sense to me, just adds more proof beyond the shadow of a doubt that there are idiotic moody whiney people in this world. :lmao:

You are way overreacting, man.

Look, I'm trying to analyze it, ok? One guy is battle tested and younger, ok? And for almost the same money.

So if I don't just fall in the lemming line behind everything that the Cowboys do I am a complainer and a whiner? Jesus, man...this forum is for discussions. You want that we should all just get together and always agree on everything? How boring would that be?

neosapien23

Reaction score
Tass said:

Look, I'm trying to analyze it, ok? One guy is battle tested and younger, ok? And for almost the same money.

So if I don't just fall in the lemming line behind everything that the Cowboys do I am a complainer and a whiner? Jesus, man...this forum is for discussions. You want that we should all just get together and always agree on everything? How boring would that be?

For an extra 500K, the organization would have been better off with Vinateri. I don't know if he would have signed with Dallas though. It seems that he liked the situation in Indianapolis much more.

Woods

Reaction score
Tass said:

There is a thread on this forum giving Vandy's stats in the clutch, in a dome, out of a dome, etc.

When it's all said and done, Vandy is MORE accurate than Viniteri.

I think we got one of the top kickers in the league.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
Doh! Don't mind me. I'm an idiot.

/me goes back to drooling

stiletto

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
For an extra 500K, the organization would have been better off with Vinateri. I don't know if he would have signed with Dallas though. It seems that he liked the situation in Indianapolis much more.

Because Vinatieri has made his claim to fame in Domes and not outside, his percentage's drop pretty significantly outdoors. His big kicks have been inside. He's not dumb....

joseephuss

Reaction score
Woods said:
There is a thread on this forum giving Vandy's stats in the clutch, in a dome, out of a dome, etc.

When it's all said and done, Vandy is MORE accurate than Viniteri.

I think we got one of the top kickers in the league.

Yep.

I don't need to look at all the stats for Vinatieri because the ones that matter the most were his kicks in the three Superbowls and those clutch kicks in the snow against the Raiders. Probably the best kicks ever in that game.

At least this is a civil discussion about two of the best kickers in the league and not a Quincy vs. Hutch bloodfest.

wileedog

Reaction score
Tass said:

Now there's irony for ya.

The 'older' guy has a better FG% throughout his career.

Yeah, I'd take Adam over Vander, but this isn't Madden or the draft. You don't just tap a guy and he's on your team.

You want that we should all just get together and always agree on everything? How boring would that be?
About as boring as complaining about signing a top 5 kicker.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Tass said:
You are forgetting Mike V's signing bonus.

And yeah, I would have been happy with Vinatieri. Would have washed out some of the bad taste the TO signing left in my mouth.

Hey Tass, look at it this way, before last years playoffs, the two best kickers were Viniateri and Vanderjagt. As fans, most of us considered Vini better than Vandy but not by much, as far as I can remember the only clutch kick Vandy missed was in the playoff game, but we all would have given a left nut to have either at that point. Knowing this, I don't think any of us even had an inkling that these guys would be available, and if Vini weren't available, we would be in a wet dream knowing our owner ponied up and paid Vandy what he got. All I'm saying is.....Appreciate the dream, we gotta wake up some time.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
You referenced Vinatieri having the stronger leg.

He's 0-for-4 from beyond 50 yards in the last three seasons. Now, maybe you were referring to his leg strength on kickoffs, in which case I'd agree. But Vanderjagt's hardly Vinatieri's inferior when it comes to long-distance field goals.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
wileedog said:
About as boring as complaining about signing a top 5 kicker.

What is your problem, man? I already explained what I was talking about and you are still trying to insult me. I am NOT complaining that we signed a good kicker. I am complaining about the fact that for a negligible amount of money (as far as the NFL is concerned) we could have had the BEST one. Why settle for second best when you could have the best?

If you think Mike V is the absolute best, then cool. I understand why you have no prob with it. I happen to think Vinatieri is a little better and so that's why it's irritating.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
Ok, I just saw the contract details on both guys. Turns out that there is a difference of a million bucks a year between them. Vinatieri isn't $1m a year better than Mike. So I retract my earlier griping. Since the money is significantly less then Vanderjagt was the better choice, IMO.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Tass said:
What is your problem, man? I already explained what I was talking about and you are still trying to insult me. I am NOT complaining that we signed a good kicker. I am complaining about the fact that for a negligible amount of money (as far as the NFL is concerned) we could have had the BEST one. Why settle for second best when you could have the best?

If you think Mike V is the absolute best, then cool. I understand why you have no prob with it. I happen to think Vinatieri is a little better and so that's why it's irritating.

And just out curiousity, what makes Adam V, better than Mike V.?? As far as every stat a kicker can have, Mike V is better than Adam V.. except for Kick offs..

wileedog

Reaction score
Tass said:

Look, I'm not trying to insult you, I just think the difference between the two kickers, like the money they were ultimately paid, is just not that big.

Furthermore, you seem to think that these two guys are sitting on a shelf with a little price tag on them and a bar code, and the team just needs to bring them up to the check out counter. That's not the way it works.

Ultimately the player decides where they are going to play. Ultimately the team decides what their budget for a kicker is, and who they will break that budget for and by how much. Maybe 500K or whatever really was the breaking point for Jerry, who didn't want to pay a kicker in the first place. Ultimately deals are struck based on who's willing to negotiate what, and who thinks they are doing the best for themselves in the long run.

If Bill decided to sign Vandy over Adam, its because when all of those factors were put together, that's the way it worked out. And it may not have even been Bill's decision, it might have been Adam's to go to Indy.

Right now Green Bay is sitting there with no kicker at all and not many options. I'm fairly certain a Packer fan would read this thread and p*ss himself.

If you need to continue to get irritated over this, by all means do so. I've said all I'm going to. But you're coming off like Bill Gates complaining about a parking ticket.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Tass said:

I'm not so sure that Jerry and Bill consider a half a million dollars to be a negligible amont of greenback.

What I think they DO feel is negligible is the difference between Vinatieri and Mike V.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Tass said:

I agree I'd much rather have had Vinatieri. But with that said, I have long held the opinion that Vanderjagt is easily the second best kicker in the league and a perinneal (sp) Pro Bowler whenever he's on the field.

I expected us to pass over all the good kickers, and settle for a has-been. Clearly, we didn't do so in getting one of the top kickers.

I'll throw this out there, just for kicks....who knows if Vinatieri was even interested in coming here? Vanderjagt started campaigning to come here before free agency even started. You never know if we wanted him, but he didn't want us....or, like you're saying, maybe we wanted him but not at his asking price.

Has there been anything definitive reported at this point?

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
Tass said:
Are you kidding? Let me get this right, we could have signed a playoff-proven, younger, stronger legged clutch kicker for 500k more? I just don't get it.

"Hey, why pay Vinatieri that extra 500k? We can get that older, weaker guy that blew it in the playoffs for almost the same money!"

Yikes, fellas.

I agree...but at least he isn't jose cortez. I just hope that he will be able to kick off, because we can't waste a valuable roster spot on another kicker to handle kick off duties.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:
I agree...but at least he isn't jose cortez. I just hope that he will be able to kick off, because we can't waste a valuable roster spot on another kicker to handle kick off duties.

:hammer: Compare the feeling you have now to the feeling you had when Cortez won the kicking job last training camp. In fact, compare it to when Cortez was INVITED to last training camp. Quick, which feels better. :D