Why should fans believe in this executive leadership?

SlammedZero

Reaction score
....because hope is all we have at this point. We know it's never going to change, so, all we can do is hope for a season with a little luck and things break right for the Cowboys.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Question is irrelevant. It’s his team… he can run it however he wants. Only say you have is whether or not to continue following it. My suggestion is have other hobbies and not form a need for instant gratification from a sports team. And always remember… at least you weren’t born a Lions fan!
So since it’s his team, he can drive it into the ground any way he wants, right? Is that something fans should just accept without any question or stipulation? All Cowboys fans should remain loyal to the 26 year dumpster fire because that’s what loyal fans do? Just trying to understand your point.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The problems are deep and they start with Jerry, but the whole organization is infected.

This organization is popular both with Cowboys fans and haters so it draws a lot of attention on players, which greatly helps them with endorsement deals and future contracts.

Being a Cowboys player also gives them a lot more personal recognition than they would get from many team's markets.

Jerry has fostered a "My players love me" relationship with the star players as soon as they walked through the door rather than waiting until they earned that type of relationship.

Potential is worthless until results are achieved, but this whole organization treats players like they have already won things when they have not even come close to any of them.

The coaches focus more on being liked and respected by the players than they do telling the truth and doing what is best for the team. Arians won a Super Bowl during a season where he called out Tom Brady publicly. Why? Because Brady was making mistakes in the offense that was new to him and it was costing them games.

Dak makes mistakes, McCarthy says, "All good!" Ezekiel can barely run, McCarthy says, "He's my starter!" The list goes on and on and also precedes McCarthy going back to all coaches after Jimmy Johnson except Parcells.

Coaches do not have to be jerks to players, but coaches have a job to do and that job is to win Super Bowls. Not divisions, playoff games, but Super Bowls.

The Cowboys need a coach who is going to stop worrying if players like him and start focusing on doing what he needs to do to put a team capable of winning on the field.

Ignore the contracts, ignore the Jerry promises, ignore the player tantrums and ignore the media interrogations of every move. PLAY ... TO ... WIN!

It is that simple. As coach, you are paid to win, so play to win.

Jerry needs to support that type of coach by closing his door to players once training camp starts. Stop talking to them and stop answering their calls. Make it easier to move on from declining players as well as draft and free agent mistakes.

Most important, let the players know the head coach is in charge and if he benches you, you are benched. End of discussion.
:hammer::hammer::clap::clap:

kwcool619

Reaction score
Serious question hoping for serious, thoughtful answers:
  • Why should ANY Dallas Cowboys fan have any hope of winning a championship again with Jerry and his family in charge?
I’m hoping for some explanations from our fans why we as should have HOPE OR BELIEF that this organization as currently constructed at the top can ever be anything more than what it has been the last 26 years: an over-hyped, underachieving, non-competitive in playoffs organization?

Serious answers please. If you are a Cowboys fan who still believes we can win in the playoffs doing it “Jerry’s way”, please say why.

Another pinpoint post.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They shouldn't. I'll believe the are an 8-9 team untill they prove otherwise. They won't be a playoff contender regardless of record untill they win a playoff game.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Luck, I go into each season thinking they might just get lucky. I do not have confidence in them to do it by design because the design is flawed.

I agree that Booger has the right to run his own business and strictly as a business, he's very successful. However, he is a part-time GM and would never accept that from an employee. And I don't know if he would accept the job his older son from an employee either.

The tell on the Joneses is that they've never gotten any better, never improved at the jobs I can see, mainly the old man and his number one. Because they've never had to improve.

But the crazy thing about this is this goes against the grain of all known business principles. In what other business does the one with the inferior product rule the business? It continues to win in the ratings and revenue while winning absolutely nothing.

However, at the risk of being called out for lowering my bar and standards, I do not expect much but a little contention here and there like they had this year. 2016, 2018 and 2021 weren't bad, just not what most wanted.

But let me say this. I do not think I deserve more than this. I go into this with eyes wide open and completely aware of what this is. If I get disappointed, that's not on them, it is on me for not managing my expectations any better.

Just look at the latest shenanigans of this owner. He goes on his radio show making veiled threats at his coaching staff like some buffoon. Owners that want to win don't make threats, they make the necessary changes and he will never do that.

All of you watch this team. You watch this owner make announcements that other coaches make, have you ever seen that before? Even Davis and Steinbrenner didn't try and make themselves the face of their team but this owner has done just that. At home and on the road. He is the most self-important person I have ever seen in sports.

I consider myself lucky. None of my happiness, absolutely none, depends on what my favorite team does and it wasn't always like that. I watched them to see them win. Now I can watch them just to see them play and winning or losing isn't the critical factor. How fortuitous for me that I should arrive at that and this is my team.

ICP

Reaction score
There's plenty of us who don't think we can but there's not anything we can do about it.

exciter

Reaction score
So since it’s his team, he can drive it into the ground any way he wants, right? Is that something fans should just accept without any question or stipulation? All Cowboys fans should remain loyal to the 26 year dumpster fire because that’s what loyal fans do? Just trying to understand your point.
Yes! You just made my point. It’s your choice whether to continue supporting and following the team. He could run them out there wearing pink tutus and they’re ain’t nothing you can do but make one of those two choices. There’s no point in me stressing on something I can’t control, the next four months the only stress I plan on having is figuring out what color jig the the crappie are hitting that particular day. That’s something I can actually control!

Chuck 54

Reaction score
We have an owner that won more SBs than any other owner in franchise history. Let that sink in.
Jerry was on a bad track for almost a decade after Aikman, Emmitt, and Irvin were gone. He hired lousy coaches and was too involved in the team.

If we look at only the past decade, Jerry has not been cheap or crazy. He has gradually turned over final say on players to McClay, scouts, and coaches. Yes, he has the final say at draft time and on which free agents get offers, but that’s true of many owners and/or GMs. Jerry wants to win. He doesn’t meddle the way he used to. He listens to his experts, and I don’t know of a time he went against their advice….he wants to be involved, but he’s not running things.

He hires the coaches. He listens to the coaches, but he expects results. If Jerry has a weakness, it may be hiring coaches, but frankly, that’s always a crapshoot. Good and bad teams change coaches a lot trying to get where they want to be. Many fans bashing McCarthy now were praising him just weeks ago. I always have hope. Here’s why:
  • McCarthy gets one more year, knowing he has to produce in the playoffs. Anything short of very good play in the playoffs next year, and Mike is gone. I have no doubt. He doesn’t have to get to this game or that game, but the playoffs must end where everyone feels the Cowboys played up to their ability, but lost….I’m thinking the losses to Pittsburg in the SB.
  • I believe Jerry, Mike, and everyone else can see that we will not win anything in the playoffs trying to be the pass crazy Chargers of yesteryear. Dallas, like most teams that have won multiple Super Bowls, never once relied on passing to win in Dec-Jan-Feb. I have zero faith in Kellen Moore, but I believe Jerry is going to expect to see this team running the ball 25 or more times every game next year.
  • I have faith that there will be a focus on the interior OL and a better run scheme. I believe we will see Urban back or someone who excels at stopping the run.
  • I believe we will see more Diggs and Joseph outside with Brown in the slot and less Jordan Lewis.
  • I have faith because we have a bunch of decent safeties from which to pluck 2 for 2022.
Yes, it’s easy to say Jerry is the common denominator, but that’s lazy. Dak didn’t play as well down the stretch as in previous years, and yes, he absolutely needs a run game to be as effective as he can be. But fans aside, everyone in Dallas, coaches, players, media, and in the NFL, knew Dallas had to sign Dak. It’s that simple. It wasn’t just Jerry. Mike and Kellen would have crapped their pants if Jerry had said, too much. What are our other options.

Jerry and Stephen took a long time to realize that you must play defense to win. Now I think they will also realize that a team must run the ball and be balanced. The great Aaron Rodgers, perhaps the best passer in NFL history, only threw the ball 40 times in one game all season. Dak, whom I love and still believe is good enough to win with, is not even in the next zip code from Rodgers, yet he was asked to drop back and pass over 40 passes in 6 games, another 3 games at 39, and twice over 50 passes!

Dak is what he is. He’s not Rodgers, Mahommes, Josh Allen, but he is as good or better than quite a few QBs who have won SBs, but only a fool of an OC would want him throwing 40-58 passes in more than half the games and in the playoffs. Something has to give.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I’ll also add this. When a player comes back from blowing out a knee, they always say it’s a year or two to really get back where they were. Dak’s ankle, Collins’ hip, a couple of Achilles in the secondary were all more serious than a knee ligament surgery. These players were up and down. I’m no doctor or expert on how any injury affects a player, but I also trust all of these guys will play better next season, including Zeke….if we will simply commit to running the ball, even on 3rd down from time to time.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
The problems are deep and they start with Jerry, but the whole organization is infected.

This organization is popular both with Cowboys fans and haters so it draws a lot of attention on players, which greatly helps them with endorsement deals and future contracts.

Being a Cowboys player also gives them a lot more personal recognition than they would get from many team's markets.

Jerry has fostered a "My players love me" relationship with the star players as soon as they walked through the door rather than waiting until they earned that type of relationship.

Potential is worthless until results are achieved, but this whole organization treats players like they have already won things when they have not even come close to any of them.

The coaches focus more on being liked and respected by the players than they do telling the truth and doing what is best for the team. Arians won a Super Bowl during a season where he called out Tom Brady publicly. Why? Because Brady was making mistakes in the offense that was new to him and it was costing them games.

Dak makes mistakes, McCarthy says, "All good!" Ezekiel can barely run, McCarthy says, "He's my starter!" The list goes on and on and also precedes McCarthy going back to all coaches after Jimmy Johnson except Parcells.

Coaches do not have to be jerks to players, but coaches have a job to do and that job is to win Super Bowls. Not divisions, playoff games, but Super Bowls.

The Cowboys need a coach who is going to stop worrying if players like him and start focusing on doing what he needs to do to put a team capable of winning on the field.

Ignore the contracts, ignore the Jerry promises, ignore the player tantrums and ignore the media interrogations of every move. PLAY ... TO ... WIN!

It is that simple. As coach, you are paid to win, so play to win.

Jerry needs to support that type of coach by closing his door to players once training camp starts. Stop talking to them and stop answering their calls. Make it easier to move on from declining players as well as draft and free agent mistakes.

Most important, let the players know the head coach is in charge and if he benches you, you are benched. End of discussion.
Can I give you a 1000 likes !!!!???!!!

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Serious question hoping for serious, thoughtful answers:
  • Why should ANY Dallas Cowboys fan have any hope of winning a championship again with Jerry and his family in charge?
I’m hoping for some explanations from our fans why we as fans should have HOPE OR BELIEF that this organization as currently constructed at the top can ever be anything more than what it has been the last 26 years: an over-hyped, underachieving, non-competitive in playoffs organization?

Serious answers please. If you are a Cowboys fan who still believes we can win in the playoffs doing it “Jerry’s way”, please say why.
Going from a 6-10 nightmare of a season to a hopeful 12-5 season in just one year's time is amazing. It tells me we are headed in the right direction. It also tells me the right hiring moves are being made by the GM. Bobhaze, if you lack that perspective, I question your judgment. IMO, only folks with an agenda to disqualify JJ can disagree with me.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
I’ll also add this. When a player comes back from blowing out a knee, they always say it’s a year or two to really get back where they were. Dak’s ankle, Collins’ hip, a couple of Achilles in the secondary were all more serious than a knee ligament surgery. These players were up and down. I’m no doctor or expert on how any injury affects a player, but I also trust all of these guys will play better next season, including Zeke….if we will simply commit to running the ball, even on 3rd down from time to time.
I can't believe this if Zeke got touches this year over a healthy TP. That is Jerry meddling...this is probably the most depressing thing I've come to realize. I can't fathom they did this to block for Dak and to protect him, but when I see how the line played in the 49ers game it can be true. Our whole off-season depends on protecting Dak now...rebuilding the defense is an afterthought. We could have protected him this year not playing favorites and moving LC over, but it's all hypothetical.

To say we didn't have problems, is a lie. We masked a lot of problems winning. We needed to start Collins at LG and play Steele at RT, they just didn't want to bench CWill at that point and that is what caused us to snowball. They tried later, but refusing to play LC anywhere other than RT was a bad decision. This is all meddling - it can't be anything else. Zeke should have been on IR and Collins re-positioned but this is the Jones boys thinking that they are putting their $ on the field.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
We had a full stadium and that's not including concession and parking money!!!! We made a mint.....
jerry-jones-cowboys.gif
I'm being serious here. It's all about the Benjamins. Nothing else. Jerry is going to continue being a bad GM. Hiring flaky undeserving coaches and saying what the fanbase wants to hear. Has not 26 years of this stuff thought us nothing:facepalm: Jerry raking in money. Big money. Whether we win or not.

Last edited:

OGCowboy

Reaction score
Won’t happen as long as Jerry is alive and cognitive. His passing will result in either sale of the team or the goofy kid will assume control but will hire a GM.....then maybe they’ll get a strong willed coach that’s not the Owner/GMs lil beeotch. Then maybe we’ll see progress towards a SB but I’ll prob be dead. Jerry not much older than me.....
I’m certainly thankful to have seen the prime of Laundry’s teams and the run of Jimmy. Without those two guys I’d be in same boat as many fans these days....not knowing the pride of your team being a champion

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Outstanding response. I bolded the answers where I 100% agree. The culture of hype created by this owner is a cancer that has eaten this team completely up. Only a tough HC who is allowed to be in charge gives us hope. Don’t see it happening as long as JJ is alive.

Only time we won Super Bowls. Landry and Jimmy. What did these 2 have in common? FEAR!!!!!! This team needs a coach they fear. Fear as in you better come to play and produce. Nobody wanted to face these two after a loss.