Why should fans believe in this executive leadership?

75boyz

Reaction score
It's impossible. The Owner is performing the job that demands a high order of accountability. He does not hold himself accountable and that lack of discipline seeps through every pore of the organization.

Jerry is his team's biggest fan and that creates a relaxed atmosphere that NEVER existed when Landry or Johnson were coaching. Parcells couldn't break it and didn't stick around to see very good team he built realize any success.

Organizational culture is critical to success in the NFL. A highly competitive industry like professional sports requires special work conditions that most people could not handle. Once an organization gets used to losing, and the boss is not terribly upset about it because the cash is flowing, what the hell, may as well coast.

Fantastic post.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
For me, believing in the Cowboys executive management nowadays is a tough nut to crack, to say the least. There was a time when I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Twenty-five years later, all that's left in me is a simple desire to be "entertained."

That's, actually, a dramatic come down of Biblical proportions for someone who wanted desperately to believe they were sincerely devoted to being the providers of my unsatisfied Super Bowl hunger. After well over two decades of disappointment, I fully acknowledge the error of my trusting ways,

Twenty-five long years later, I now fully acknowledge the unfulfilled dream that I've inflicted upon my better judgment. Good luck to the faithful souls who much prefer to think likewise. It's best to semi-reject all fantasies of NFL football glory by settling on being entertained. It saves lots of frustration. ;)

Last edited:

75boyz

Reaction score
He hired Jimmy. Discussion really ends there. Johnson was the architect of that 90s success.

Now there's the one or 2 guys that see his hiring of Jimmy to equate to some type of shared credit version that Jerry engineered that run of success.

They are interesting, lol.

And for whatever reason, mostly in his mind, that Jimmy hiring decision alone "should make him as the one credited" for those Super bowls.

And for that same reason of not being given FULL credit by the media 26 years ago and counting, he has hired a carousel of yes men excluding the stadium influenced Parcells hire.

Rich kid with his ball and he's taking his ball home IF HE CANT PLAY.

That's my version.

plasticman

Reaction score
Okay, let's say we evaluate Jerry Jones strictly on his record as an NFL GM. Suppose he was not the owner of the Dallas Cowboys.

Now imagine that Jerry decided that he wanted to be a GM for another team in the NFL and presented his "credentials" to another team's owner. Again, we are imagining that he was never the owner of the Cowboys.

How many other teams would consider him for the position based on his work as the Cowboys GM.....for 29 years.

If you just broke out in hysterical laughter then you have a realistic perception of Jerry's "skill" and "credentials" as an NFL GM.

It is preposterous, absolutely ridiculous, to accept Jerry Jones as a genuine NFL GM. The real ones spend 20 to 30 years building up a resume that typically starts with an internship or maybe he was a ex-player. From there they advance up level after level as a result of proficiency and success at those levels. They have 20 to 30 years of experience and knowledge to develop a superior skill set.

However, Jerry was handed everything on a silver platter his entire life. He never had to really compete, his job never depended on his abilities. His very first real job straight out of college was as a vice president of an insurance company.....owned by his father.

Jerry thinks he can buy anything. Jerry thinks that throwing money at somebody or something makes everything better.

Did you hear him? He said that he would spend a huge amount of money to insure the success of the Cowboys. He still doesn't get it. You have to know where all that money needs to go in order to find that success. You can spend 100 million on a head coach but if he's incapable of success then the money is wasted. In the end, it's not about money, it's about ability and Jerry never had it, he doesn't have it now, he will never have it.

If Jerry bought a 5 start restaurant and made himself the head chef, he would honestly believe that he would succeed. That's the nightmare we all experience season after season. He has taken an iconic team in U.S. professional sports history and he has reduced it to a laughingstock. He has taken the Cowboys hostage and Cowboys fans suffer.

A real GM? I count four times he would have been fired as the GM of any other team.

How do you take a team that won three Super Bowls in four years with most of their stars still in their prime and go 6-10 two seasons later?

Emmitt was 28, Aikman and Irvin both 31, Dieon Sanders 30, Larry Allen 26 and Darren Woodsen 28.

Any other GM would have been fired.

After three consecutive seasons at 5-11 from 2000 to 2002? Fired.

After building a legitimate contender with a good head coach and four seasons of a winning record only to be bounced every time in the divisional round, they go 1-7 to start a "season of promise" in 2010. The Super Bowl is being played in your stadium and you flatline?.....Fired.

You hire a rather inexperienced OC to be your HC and 9 years later the same results as the previous mediocrity. I mean, four season of 8-8, a 12-4 record followed immediatel
y by a 4-12 record?.....Fired.

Jerry Jones, the GM, deserved to be fired in 1997, again in 2002, 2010, and 2019.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Serious question hoping for serious, thoughtful answers:
  • Why should ANY Dallas Cowboys fan have any hope of winning a championship again with Jerry and his family in charge?
I’m hoping for some explanations from our fans why we as fans should have HOPE OR BELIEF that this organization as currently constructed at the top can ever be anything more than what it has been the last 26 years: an over-hyped, underachieving, non-competitive in playoffs organization?

Serious answers please. If you are a Cowboys fan who still believes we can win in the playoffs doing it “Jerry’s way”, please say why.
If anyone can overcome this front office, it's Dak. His leadersh...yeah no.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
  • Why should ANY Dallas Cowboys fan have any hope of winning a championship again with Jerry and his family in charge?
I’m hoping for some explanations from our fans why we as fans should have HOPE OR BELIEF that this organization as currently constructed at the top can ever be anything more than what it has been the last 26 years: an over-hyped, underachieving, non-competitive in playoffs organization?

Serious answers please. If you are a Cowboys fan who still believes we can win in the playoffs doing it “Jerry’s way”, please say why.
Why, shouldn't we?

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Quoth the raven, "Nevermore.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
For me, believing in the Cowboys executive management nowadays is a tough nut to crack, to say the least. There was a time when I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Twenty-five years later, all that's left in me is a simple desire to be "entertained."

That's, actually, a dramatic come down of Biblical proportions for someone who wanted desperately to believe they were sincerely devoted to being the providers of my unsatisfied Super Bowl hunger. After well over two decades of disappointment, I fully acknowledge the error of my trusting ways,

Twenty-five long years later, I now fully acknowledge the unfulfilled dream that I've inflicted upon my better judgment. Good luck to the faithful souls who much prefer to think likewise. It's best to semi-reject all fantasies of NFL football glory by settling on being entertained. It saves lots of frustration. ;)
Pretty much where I am too.
I was a Jerry fan his first 10 years here
But the last 20 years have opened my eyes.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Okay, let's say we evaluate Jerry Jones strictly on his record as an NFL GM. Suppose he was not the owner of the Dallas Cowboys.

Now imagine that Jerry decided that he wanted to be a GM for another team in the NFL and presented his "credentials" to another team's owner. Again, we are imagining that he was never the owner of the Cowboys.

How many other teams would consider him for the position based on his work as the Cowboys GM.....for 29 years.

If you just broke out in hysterical laughter then you have a realistic perception of Jerry's "skill" and "credentials" as an NFL GM.

It is preposterous, absolutely ridiculous, to accept Jerry Jones as a genuine NFL GM. The real ones spend 20 to 30 years building up a resume that typically starts with an internship or maybe he was a ex-player. From there they advance up level after level as a result of proficiency and success at those levels. They have 20 to 30 years of experience and knowledge to develop a superior skill set.

However, Jerry was handed everything on a silver platter his entire life. He never had to really compete, his job never depended on his abilities. His very first real job straight out of college was as a vice president of an insurance company.....owned by his father.

Jerry thinks he can buy anything. Jerry thinks that throwing money at somebody or something makes everything better.

Did you hear him? He said that he would spend a huge amount of money to insure the success of the Cowboys. He still doesn't get it. You have to know where all that money needs to go in order to find that success. You can spend 100 million on a head coach but if he's incapable of success then the money is wasted. In the end, it's not about money, it's about ability and Jerry never had it, he doesn't have it now, he will never have it.

If Jerry bought a 5 start restaurant and made himself the head chef, he would honestly believe that he would succeed. That's the nightmare we all experience season after season. He has taken an iconic team in U.S. professional sports history and he has reduced it to a laughingstock. He has taken the Cowboys hostage and Cowboys fans suffer.

A real GM? I count four times he would have been fired as the GM of any other team.

How do you take a team that won three Super Bowls in four years with most of their stars still in their prime and go 6-10 two seasons later?

Emmitt was 28, Aikman and Irvin both 31, Dieon Sanders 30, Larry Allen 26 and Darren Woodsen 28.

After building a legitimate contender with a good head coach and four seasons of a winning record only to be bounced every time in the divisional round, they go 1-7 to start a "season of promise" in 2010. The Super Bowl is being played in your stadium and you flatline?.....Fired.

You hire a rather inexperienced OC to be your HC and 9 years later the same results as the previous mediocrity. I mean, four season of 8-8, a 12-4 record followed immediatel

Jerry Jones, the GM, deserved to be fired in 1997, again in 2002, 2010, and 2019.
Yep, it's a hard pill to swallow knowing you don't have a realistic chance at the chip until Jerry steps down
And that ain't happening anytime soon

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And again in 2021. Great response btw.

kskboys

Reaction score
3 SBs idk what else to tell you. But I guess that doesn't count. Oh that's forever ago gotcha. At this point yall know he's not going anywhere at GM so what can be done otherwise
Then you shouldn't have clicked on this thread and commented if you weren't interested in discussing it.

FreePollard

Reaction score
Is this a serious question? Anyone who truly believes in this management, specifically Jerry Jones, who I just imagine being the absolute worst to deal with.

Want to see an organization ran correctly? Look at the Houston Astros. When Jim Crane bought the team most fans weren't happy with it - fast forward to today and there's not another pro team in Texas that comes close. You know why? Here's why...

He openly admitted he isn't an expert in when it comes to making baseball Ops decisions so he has never meddled with decisions by management who actually know *** they're doing. Who put those management guys in place there? He did. Lunhow came into the interview for the GM job with a two hundred page plan on how to fix the Astros, who were abysmal at the time. Guess what? The plan worked.

Meanwhile, McCarthy claimed to have essentially done the same during his interview...to then later admit he lied during his press conference introduction. So my question is...what the F*** did they talk about during that interview?! If someone comes into an interview telling you they spent countless hours on coming together with a plan on how to fix the team...WHO DOESN'T MAKE THEM ELABORATE ON THIS PLAN DURING THE INTERVIEW?

The list of mind boggling stuff like this just goes on and on...nothing will ever change until his time on this earth comes to an end (I don't wish anything like this to happen any time soon but it's the truth).

FreePollard

Reaction score

And this isn't even taking into account all of the ridiculously bad contracts, trades and other roster decisions that alone are arguably enough to get a GM fired. Every single one of these dumb decisions was made because he's so stubborn, doesn't know when to throw in the towel on a season, and treats every season like it will be his last. That led to...

1. The awful Roy Williams deal in a season we realistically had no chance at winning a SB...just awful.
  2. Being dumb enough to draft a RB at #4 before Ramsey was bad enough but then you fold to his threatening to "hold out" and give him an awful contract...when he wasn't even in his UFA year and missed six games to suspension!! He literally killed the only positive of drafting him there...a relatively cheap rookie deal.
  3. Trading a 1st rounder for Cooper mid season in a season that clearly had zero chance at a SB...when the upcoming draft was the most loaded ever at WR and ironically end up selecting a receiver anyway. Oh and you overpaid Cooper to top it all off.
  4. The Jaylon Smith deal that seemed like some kind of message to Dak?
  5. Last but not least...surprisingly he actually listened to his FO for once but he was oh so close to taking Johnny over Martin.
  6. Oh wait just being stupid enough to keep Garrett as long as he did...that's honestly might be the worst out of all of these atrocities. The Giants sure didn't need long to figure out what a bum he was.

Blackrain

Reaction score
The only right answer here is we shouldn’t. Anyone suggesting otherwise is just wrong.

They shouldn't and I lowered my expectations long ago because I realized the amount of dysfunction surrounding Jerry owning and running the team was too much to overcome.

Jerry has proven conclusively that he is all about making money and his comfort and his players mirror his concepts as they play for maximum monetary reward and championships are purely secondary.

I have posted many times that there are too many Joneses for me to outlive and sad but true I will never see another super bowl won by my team.

Sure I enjoy watching some good football that the team plays but I know making the playoffs is our ceiling. That's our super bowl with Jerry in charge.

I am just thankful I was fortunate enough to watch Roger Staubach and Tom Landry guide this team to the best football I ever watched.

morat1959

Reaction score
Won't happen. Jerry's ego and pride don't allow him to properly delegate authority, he wants to be the WINNER so he can rub it in Jimmy's face.

Every year it eats at Jerry a little more. Got to be a roaring river by now.
Nailed it!

Kalyan

Reaction score
2 coaches who stood up to Jerry and didn't fear him, Jimmy and Parcels, Parcels is towards his retirement and did not have a good roster, wish he stayed one more year with Romo. But like he said, no one remembers he coached here and culture is back to coaches fearing Jerry and players ignoring coaches

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score

If Jerry Jones said, "I'm getting to old to be doing this, and so I'm stepping down and leaving my son, Stephen, in charge," then I think there would be some reason for hope. Stephen's influence has helped this team to draft better, and I think he has overall better judgement than his father. This situation would, of course, not be any kind of guarantee of a return to an elite team, but I do think we would have better chances.

Jerry only has so much time left. I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to retire and then go see the world while he still can. I don't hate the man. I actually think he's a good guy whom I would like to meet. I just don't think he's who should be running this football club. He could go enjoy a great vacation on Martinique Island and not worry about football.