Why should Garrett be kept in a championship season?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Acknowledging we’ve got a pretty good team all-around and not leaping at shadows because everybody else does has worked ok for me over the years.

I enjoy the seasons and have my own preferences for how we should improve the team that include things that actually make more sense. But I understand that’s not for everybody and that we’ll get a lot of the “fire Garrett,” “cut Dak” opinions, too.

Replacing a coach doesn't make sense when trying to improve the team? That might be the most novel thing ever. Looks like the Rams had it all wrong.

HungryLion

Reaction score
How is that evident?

Because they haven’t gotten past the divisional round and have only 2 playoff wins in 8 years. Which is nothing to write home about.

So it’s evident based on the results.

Clearly the coaching Hasn’t been the solution.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
If Garrett finally wins a championship then he wins a championship. I'll never give Jerry any credit but I would give Garrett.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because they haven’t gotten past the divisional round and have only 2 playoff wins in 8 years. Which is nothing to write home about.

So it’s evident based on the results.

Clearly the coaching Hasn’t been the solution.

That’s bad logic. You can have championship coaching and not make a conference championship game for other reasons. Lots of ways to get best in the NFL.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Replacing a coach doesn't make sense when trying to improve the team? That might be the most novel thing ever. Looks like the Rams had it all wrong.

Depends on the coach. Depends what’s actually wrong with the team.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
I see alot of defensive comments. Can anyone tell my what impact Garrett makes or why he should stay under a successful situation?

I am thinking of something right now and I cant put a finger on it.

I wont joke about the tired *** clapping but still....keep him as a motivator? I see no directing of any sort from him.

Maybe he is being held to one day receive a FO managment position.

I literally have no idea what the guy is doing. In a way I dont believe Jerry even knows.

GenoT

Reaction score
Garrett will remain the head coach until it’s decided that Kellen Moore is capable of taking over the top job.

A championship season would likely ramp up that timetable, but as long as Jerry still has final say-so (he does), the length of Garrett’s tenure remains anyone’s guess.

HungryLion

Reaction score
That’s bad logic. You can have championship coaching and not make a conference championship game for other reasons. Lots of ways to get best in the NFL.

No it’s sound logic. Garret has never gotten it done and in no way shape or form proven he provides “championship” coaching.

You thinking the coaching isn’t a problem is your opinion. Not a fact.

Again, you claimed (multiple times now) that coaching isn’t the problem. That’s fine and dandy if that’s good enough for you. For coaching to just be “not the problem”

Some people want the coaching to be the solution to the problem.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I did. Sounds like the OP would want him gone under any scenario. Can't argue with that. Also, isn't that the OP's opinion? Right or wrong an opinion. Certainly not worth receiving the snide comments that some are laying on him. I would think people can see that, especially "Staff Members".
So he can't speak his mind because he voluntarily moderates a forum? Lmao....Mmm K.
You've never delivered snide remarks? Come on. I have. You haven't?

Brax

Reaction score
Garrett and marinelli should be fired regardless. I don't care how the season plays out.
HK do not think JG will go unless the season is in melt down, JG is Jerry's guy. Only way he's gone at he end of the season is if they miss the play offs.

Little Jr

Reaction score
It’s a very complicated situation here in Jerry’s dysfunctional football organization.

Garrett has actually had more success than any other HC in Jerry’s puppet era. While there is some deserved criticism for several Game Day gaffs there is much credit for a better culture and influence with the assembling of talent and moderate success.
He's also had twice and much time as other puppets.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I guess what I do not get is this concept of giving credit? If Dallas win Garrett and or Jerry should get no credit for it. However if they fail then it is all on them. Way I see it if this team has success then credit goes to players, coaches (including Garrett) and to the organization as a whole. People seem to need a scapegoat when reality is a lot of people including players share in success and failure it is not one or the other it is both. As a fan you bet I want to see this team go out and have success to win championships but the notion that these people over here deserve credit and these others do not deserve it is laughable. If this team fails and Garrett is fired then so be it, all I would be able to say is he was given ample opportunity and was unable to get the job done.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
HK do not think JG will go unless the season is in melt down, JG is Jerry's guy. Only way he's gone at he end of the season is if they miss the play offs.
Im ok with this. Good things come to those who wait.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No it’s sound logic. Garret has never gotten it done and in no way shape or form proven he provides “championship” coaching.

You thinking the coaching isn’t a problem is your opinion. Not a fact.

Again, you claimed (multiple times now) that coaching isn’t the problem. That’s fine and dandy if that’s good enough for you. For coaching to just be “not the problem”

Some people want the coaching to be the solution to the problem.

There’s no issue with the HC in Dallas. Yes, that’s an opinion.

“Because they haven’t gotten to the conference championship game, the issue is with the head coach” is a logically unsound statement. It might be the coach. It might be something else. That’s fine if it happens to be your opinion, but it isn’t evidence that your argument is valid.

I, also, want coaching to be the solution to the issues in Dallas. I just happen to think that we’ve got issues above any HC’s pay grade.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So he can't speak his mind because he voluntarily moderates a forum? Lmao....Mmm K.
You've never delivered snide remarks? Come on. I have. You haven't?

My job is to make sure forum members have a place to share their opinions within the guidelines. Fortunately, I’m not required to actually agree with some of those opinions.

I can even point out when they’re silly now and then. Like saying “if our HC wins a Superbowl, we should fire him for cause because I don’t know what he does and I want to pretend what he does is actually nothing.”

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I my eyes you keep coaches that have their hands on things. You keep the BB and McVeys, you dont keep the Garrett's who stand on the sideline, clap and make absolutely zero impact on a season.

Why should Garrett stay if the coordinators and players were the real reason of any success? That is like taking credit for someone elses work.

Once the owner tells you to just stand there, put your hands on nothing, and become a motivational puppet, you are a complete joke now.

I will never consider Garrett a SB winning coach even if it does happen. I am not naive enough to believe he would win anywhere else if such a situation acurred.

How do most fans not consider Barry Switzer a SB winning coach but would consider Garrett one!

""In such a situation""
OMG. not this again. what about Pete Carrol? in your opinion if a coach doesn't call defense and offense then he is worthless. so is Zimmer worthless? you just described 70% of the coaches in the NFL.

you would have been better off to just say I don't like garrett.....I hate garrett, instead of trying to justify it with a meaningless rant

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
I see alot of defensive comments. Can anyone tell my what impact Garrett makes or why he should stay under a successful situation?

I am thinking of something right now and I cant put a finger on it.

I wont joke about the tired *** clapping but still....keep him as a motivator? I see no directing of any sort from him.

Maybe he is being held to one day receive a FO managment position.

I literally have no idea what the guy is doing. In a way I dont believe Jerry even knows.

He has supplied vision and direction. The sorts of things that make great organisations great. This is what we stand for. This is what we are as a football team.

The idea to revert to smash-mouth football and that 90s ball-control offense was his. We began investing heavily in the oline almost immediately upon his elevation to head coach. His teams remained competitive (though the string of 8-8 seasons was a bit frustrating) while the oline was being entirely overhauled. Then as attention was turned to the d-line and it too was improved, his team became a consistent playoff contender, winning the NFC East 3 times in 5 years. Players seem to love him. They buy into his vision and his message.

I feel that from 2014 to the present, his teams have cumulatively underperformed. You would have expected more than 2 playoff wins out of the teams we've had over that period. So if he doesn't take us that next step this year (and I'll even allow that people can reasonably disagree on how big that 'next step' has to be) fine: change it up and see if someone else can get us to take the next step. And that's more or less the approach the FO is taking.

But even if he does get gassed and this roster wins one after Garrett is gone there is no doubt in my mind that he'll have played a significant role in that championship. This team represents Garrett's vision. It is a modern reincarnation of the championship teams he played for, the hearts of which were those dominant lines on both sides of the ball. Unless the next coach completely overhauls who we are and what we do Garrett's handprints will be all over that championship.

visionary

Reaction score
Maybe you answered your own question. Fans are the ones claiming he does nothing could it be fan perception is wrong?

I see even if he takes this team to the SB and wins he still gets no credit at least from you?

"takes the team to the SB and wins..."

:lmao2::lmao:

A HC whose team hasn't even won back to back playoff games in 8 years

8 years

:facepalm: