Why should Garrett be kept in a championship season?

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
He has supplied vision and direction. The sorts of things that make great organisations great. This is what we stand for. This is what we are as a football team.

The idea to revert to smash-mouth football and that 90s ball-control offense was his. We began investing heavily in the oline almost immediately upon his elevation to head coach. His teams remained competitive (though the string of 8-8 seasons was a bit frustrating) while the oline was being entirely overhauled. Then as attention was turned to the d-line and it too was improved, his team became a consistent playoff contender, winning the NFC East 3 times in 5 years. Players seem to love him. They buy into his vision and his message.

I feel that from 2014 to the present, his teams have cumulatively underperformed. You would have expected more than 2 playoff wins out of the teams we've had over that period. So if he doesn't take us that next step this year (and I'll even allow that people can reasonably disagree on how big that 'next step' has to be) fine: change it up and see if someone else can get us to take the next step. And that's more or less the approach the FO is taking.

But even if he does get gassed and this roster wins one after Garrett is gone there is no doubt in my mind that he'll have played a significant role in that championship. This team represents Garrett's vision. It is a modern reincarnation of the championship teams he played for, the hearts of which were those dominant lines on both sides of the ball. Unless the next coach completely overhauls who we are and what we do Garrett's handprints will be all over that championship.

All I got out of that was you paising a bunch of motivational quotes on a t-shirt and giving Garrett credit for the coordinators and players work.

Smashmouth football is not a powerhouse in today's NFL and has gotten Garrett kicked to the side by Jerry over a 29 year old chowder head.

The guy has proven every single time that he can not adjust to a damn thing when the players are on the downs and he has to step up and actually coach.

The only thing Garrett stands for is how to be a sucker.

The guy was exposed when Romo went down, when Murray left, and when Zeke got suspended.

When it comes down to it, the guy looks stupid everytime!

And then you write this long *** paragraph about.......:facepalm:

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
That's fine, but if he does win one and you look at the list of SB winning coaches in the NFL website, etc. his name will be listed there right alongside Landry.

You can consider all you want, but you don't get to decide who's a SB winning coach and who's not....

I dont want to decide because they dont pay me for it. But I can enjoy my opinion. I dont know if you really enjoy yours.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Other than HC's that double dip as one of their own coordinators like McVay, Payton and Reid, what do you see the other coaches doing on the sideline? What did Johnson and Parcells do on the sideline? If you believe Aikman, Turner had more to do with their success during games than Johnson.

Most HC's, other than the little red flag, going for it on 4th downs and TO's, their job for that game ends in the locker room. More and more, they are becoming more like admin guys to lead the coaching staff.

While I am not a Garrett fan, I do not think it is fair to judge him on his job when we really don't know what all that entails.

What do you believe Garrett does?

Little Jr

Reaction score
T Smith and Frederick were taken prior to McClay. And apparently Garret didn’t want the trade for Claiborne and instead wanted to take Brockers.

When Garrett got the job he said he wanted a physical football team and started moving in that direction with his first draft. McClay just helped even further.

JMO
Smith was a easy pick. Fred wasn't jg pick, he was Callahan guy. Look at the drafts from 2011 - 2013, then look from 2014-present. Its not even close .

Then you had from 2011-2013 fans, media and analyst were screaming for us to run the ball more and he never would. He got play calling stripped from him in 2014 and we became a running team.

I just don't think it's a coinsedense that he got play calling taken away in 2014, mcclay took over the draft in 2014 and sense then we have been better. Jmo now if we can just get the play book out of Dallas , I think we'll be even better. I'm not holding my breathe though.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
They pretty much lined up and ran through us. They were outplayed. And they stopped our run when it mattered on defense.

The Rams did to us what they did to everybody between the 20s last year. It’d be nice to pretend we could have ‘coached ‘em up’ to win, but sometimes the team with the better roster and the extra week to prepare is actually good, too.

And we still were in position to tie that game late when we couldn’t convert on 4th and 1.
So you are saying we actually weren't a good team against the run?

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I my eyes you keep coaches that have their hands on things. You keep the BB and McVeys, you dont keep the Garrett's who stand on the sideline, clap and make absolutely zero impact on a season.

Why should Garrett stay if the coordinators and players were the real reason of any success? That is like taking credit for someone elses work.

Once the owner tells you to just stand there, put your hands on nothing, and become a motivational puppet, you are a complete joke now.

I will never consider Garrett a SB winning coach even if it does happen. I am not naive enough to believe he would win anywhere else if such a situation acurred.

How do most fans not consider Barry Switzer a SB winning coach but would consider Garrett one!

""In such a situation""

Respectfully disagree. Here is my thing, JG held this team together in 2016 when both starting QB's went down and kept the focus steady. He did the same in 2018 with all the Zeke BS all the time. And the same in 2019 despite the bad start. I don't see a HC who stands around with his hands in his pockets and clapping only, as a HC that keeps any team focused under adversity. Sure, when things are going well and there is no adversity every HC looks like Lombardi but when things go sour and the worst they manage is 8-8 or 9-7 I'm actually ok with that. Would I like to see another SB, you betchum. Would I like to see an NFC championship game, you betchum. I've seen my share. Do I feel sorry for those who haven't, no. Why? Because they're 20 or 30 something and haven't realized yet that it's earned not given. Does JG get a pass this year if we don't make the NFC championship game? Maybe from the owner, not from the fans

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Aside from the fact that it's nonsense for people to keep saying all Garrett does is clap, and is not otherwise involved ….

I'm not a fan of Garrett as a head coach and think he should have been replaced, but what you are saying isn't the reason. Lots of head coaches don't call plays and aren't coordinators, and somebody has to be the central figure that ties it all together and sets the tone and schedules and goals and parameters for all units. If the team wins, Garrett gets credit for that, and if they lose he doesn't. I just think he hasn't been effective at his job, but if the team won that would change the outlook.

I beg to differ. Garrett has a long track record of losing the team when it comes to adjusting.

When the pressure falls on Garretts shoulders he folds everytime and that is a fact.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Smith was a easy pick. Fred wasn't jg pick, he was Callahan guy. Look at the drafts from 2011 - 2013, then look from 2014-present. Its not even close .

Then you had from 2011-2013 fans, media and analyst were screaming for us to run the ball more and he never would. He got play calling stripped from him in 2014 and we became a running team.

I just don't think it's a coinsedense that he got play calling taken away in 2014, mcclay took over the draft in 2014 and sense then we have been better. Jmo now if we can just get the play book out of Dallas , I think we'll be even better. I'm not holding my breathe though.
We see it differently, and that’s cool.

And you’ve got a point with the play calling. This year will tell us more about that.

Trendnet

Reaction score
I beg to differ. Garrett has a long track record of losing the team when it comes to adjusting.

When the pressure falls on Garretts shoulders he folds everytime and that is a fact.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark, and assume you don't know what the word 'fact' means.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That’s fair.

But my logic still isn’t unsound.

I’m saying that the current coaching group hasn’t gotten the job done, in 8 years. Which is a fact. Therefore, to this point they have not been part of the solution. It doesn’t mean they are the main problem, that’s debatable. It doesn’t mean there aren’t other factors that make it really tough for them to win a championship.

What isn’t debatable is that up to this point Garret and his staff haven’t solved the problems either. That isn’t illogical, it’s a fact.

I also can readily admit that we could fire Garret, hire another coach and that coach very well could also fall short. High level coaching is generally tough to find. A lot of trial and error.

It’s just my opinion that Garret has had ample opportunity to try and be the solution and hasn’t proven the ability to be it.
Define “ getting the job done”.

Is going to championships the only means of measurement some fans have?

HungryLion

Reaction score
Define “ getting the job done”.

Is going to championships the only means of measurement some fans have?

After 8 years? Yes.

I mean that’s the goal right?

To me “getting the job done” for a coach, means developing a program, trending upward and then winning a championship.

To Garret’s credit he did a good job building a program and did trend the team upward.

But he has plateaued and failed to get to the last and most important part

Last edited:

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Respectfully disagree. Here is my thing, JG held this team together in 2016 when both starting QB's went down and kept the focus steady. He did the same in 2018 with all the Zeke BS all the time. And the same in 2019 despite the bad start. I don't see a HC who stands around with his hands in his pockets and clapping only, as a HC that keeps any team focused under adversity. Sure, when things are going well and there is no adversity every HC looks like Lombardi but when things go sour and the worst they manage is 8-8 or 9-7 I'm actually ok with that. Would I like to see another SB, you betchum. Would I like to see an NFC championship game, you betchum. I've seen my share. Do I feel sorry for those who haven't, no. Why? Because they're 20 or 30 something and will realize eventually that it's earned not given

Last time I checked Jerry was in Zekes ear keeping him together and giving him confidence during his situation.

And once again the cooper trade is what turned the season around in that season. I doubt Garrett had much to do with that.

Before that Garrett couldnt even coach his way out of a wet paper bag with what was already on the team. Pathetic

How does he keep a team focused when players are the ones who disagrees with how he does things.

A guy standing on sideline with his hands in his pocket is exactly what I see.

You might say blahs blahs blahs but even Dez praised Jerry instead of garrett.

visionary

Reaction score
Yes because there is a dead line on what points a coach can win a championship. Took Belicheck 6 years as a HC before he won his 1st and Pete Carroll 8 years before he won. They great Sean Payton took him no time 4th year but that was 10 years ago. I have said many times, if this team fails and Garrett is fired then so be it. My comment you responded to only states the idiotic comment of a HC getting no credit if his team wins a SB which would be a 1st in sports history

Actually, since you brought it up, there is s deadline

No HC in NFL history (let that sink in) has ever won a SB with the team if they did not reach a conf CG within the first 5 years

Never in NFL history

This is because by then a HC has defined himself. He is who he is

Cowboys will never win a SB with this loser

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Last time I checked Jerry was in Zekes ear keeping him together and giving him confidence during his situation.

And once again the cooper trade is what turned the season around in that season. I doubt Garrett had much to do with that.

Before that Garrett couldnt even coach his way out of a wet paper bag with what was already on the team. Pathetic

How does he keep a team focused when players are the ones who disagrees with how he does things.

A guy standing on sideline with his hands in his pocket is exactly what I see.

You might say blahs blahs blahs but even Dez praised Jerry instead of garrett.

As I said, respectfully disagree

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Actually, since you brought it up, there is s deadline

No HC in NFL history (let that sink in) has ever won a SB with the team if they did not reach a conf CG within the first 5 years

Never in NFL history

This is because by then a HC has defined himself. He is who he is

Cowboys will never win a SB with this loser

There have been other stats, no team in NFL history lost their 1st 2 games of the season and made it to the SB that is until Dallas did it. There are always 1st times in the world of sports and is actually what makes it interesting it is not a TV or movie script. Stats like the one you posted are meaningless and would tell you that, You are who you are until you prove otherwise. I'm not going to say he will win or not but what I have said is should he get this team to the SB then of course as HC he will be given credit by any person who has an ounce of sense just as any other HC who has won. If he fails and gets fired then I have said hundred times I will not shed a tear because I know he was given ample time.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I dont want to decide because they dont pay me for it. But I can enjoy my opinion. I dont know if you really enjoy yours.

As much as anyone "enjoys their opinion", I do, though I don't see what enjoyment has to do with my opinion. If I'm of the opinion he should be fired, and he's not, that doesn't affect my opinion...