Why should I stay a Cowboys fan?

yimyammer

Reaction score
Why should I stay a Cowboys fan?

you shouldn't, jeri will never change and his spawn will be no different, they'll never win another super bowl while jeri is breathing and likely long thereafter, maybe ever

the best thing all fans could do is shun the team entirely but they wont so nothing will ever change

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
You're a quitter. We don't want you

You clearly didn't read the multiple statements I made where I'm not quitting. I was venting and expressing my anger about what Jerry said as a young fan, as well as questioning a bit (the first time I've done it, as stated) the reason. Obviously, I made my mind up during it that I am staying a fan. However, I've never seen us in the NFCC, and that with the Jerry comments is difficult.

Dre11

Reaction score
I plan to stay a Cowboys fan as long as I can stomach it. For the longest time, I've been a diehard Cowboys fan. However, I just have to ask. Why should I stay a Cowboys fan? This is the first time I can remember truly questioning it. However, the statements Jerry made about essentially wanting us to be talked about being more important than winning guts me as a young fan. I started watching this franchise in about 2000. I gobbled up everything Cowboys, and I still always want to stay on this board. That said, what's the point of cheering on a team when the owner cares more about the Forbes Bowl than winning the Super Bowl? It's clear now why he makes the moves he makes. It's clear to me now why he won't do what it takes to win, such as a proper GM, better coaching, and why it's always one side of the ball that's atrocious and one side that's not.

I'm writing this thread to ask for help. Help me to understand why I should stay a fan. I plan to do so just because I don't have another team I'd support, and I enjoy this board. Overall, I still very much enjoy the Cowboys, and I like our players. However, Jerry's statements felt like a slap to the face when I've taken every insult from other fans. I spurned the Eagles, whom most of my family supports. I spurned the Broncos when my favourite animal is clearly a horse. I spurned the Texans when they started to stay a Cowboys supporter. I've happily taken the insults. And for what? A team who is run by an owner who couldn't care less about winning?

Again, I'm NOT quitting the Cowboys. I'm more venting my anger with what Jerry stated and asking for help on why I should carry on as I plan to do so as a Cowboys fan.

Also, for those who say "You're a quitter", I've been one of the most positive fans on this board. I've always tried to stay positive no matter what. I'm still trying to stick to the Cowboys. Also, how would you respond to Jerry's comments if you were in my shoes having never seen us get to the NFC Championship game?

You shouldn't.....bye

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
First off, major shout out to ya for the era /time in which you became a fan and remaining positively loyal these last 22 years or so.
I think your questions are legitimate and whatever negative responses are highly likely coming from a fellow fan who enjoyed the 70s, 90s or both eras of success for this team as fans.

I have to tip my hat to people in places like Cleveland and Detroit and their loyal fan bases.

What's the current trendy saying or has it already played out..."You be you" and be whatever kind of fan makes ya happy.

It's a game and/or entertainment for the masses. You choose whom you want to support and how you want to support and don't worry about it.

As stated, I'm going to stay a fan, especially living in Cleveland haha. That said, it's been difficult not knowing success and seeing what Jerry said.

plasticman

Reaction score
You have a choice?

It's way too late for me but if you have the opportunity......run!

Be free of this debilitating addiction, the heartache, the misery, the disappointment, the hours and hours of lost time.....run now!

And I will envy you.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Although it is no longer the norm, I know many, many individuals that spend their entire career with a single employer. Despite potentially greener pastures, they stay out of a sense of loyalty, history, comaraderie, job fulfillment and, sure, maybe complacency and comfort.

I daresay that the reasons one supports a sports team are very similar.

Those that change jobs (or, sports teams) often do so for greater opportunities, mutually shared interests, or simply to change. There is no right or wrong answer.

Regardless, vaya con Dios, my friend.

75boyz

Reaction score
As stated, I'm going to stay a fan, especially living in Cleveland haha. That said, it's been difficult not knowing success and seeing what Jerry said.

Wow, lol.
That's a double dose. So you couldn't kinda fall back on the local team as a back up support plan.
All my best bro

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
You have a choice?

It's way too late for me but if you have the opportunity......run!

Be free of this debilitating addiction, the heartache, the misery, the disappointment, the hours and hours of lost time.....run now!

And I will envy you.

I'm not running away. However, I don't like what Jerry said.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Wow, lol.
That's a double dose. So you couldn't kinda fall back on the local team as a back up support plan.
All my best bro

I grew up in a family of Eagles fans in Houston, and then lived in KC and now Cleveland as far as the US goes. The other team I really like to go for is the Broncos when we don't play them.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I could have quit when Jerry fired Landry and I could have quit when he fired Jimmy. I've stayed a fan so I guess I'm here until I die. Doubt I'll outlive Stephen who I think will be worse than Jerry. I understand what you're going through though. I seriously considered just giving up if Jerry hadn't got rid of Garrett when he did. All those players that were wasted playing for Howdy Doody makes you sick. At least I got to see 4 SB titles since I became a fan. But it makes me sad because the Cowboys used to be a first class organization.

Last edited:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It's worse for the guys like me that have seen the championships and now 27 years of futility. Your feelings are normal given how it is now embarrassing it is to say you are a fan. The Jones family makes it so hard to root for these guys. For the people that say you are a quitter - screw them. Who cares what those chuckleheads think. Do what makes you happy. I am going to be a shadow Bills fan starting this season. I will never stop rooting for Dallas but I need a backup plan so I can enjoy football in January and not be bitter. I am going to say I think the arrow is pointing up in Dallas. McCarthy and Quinn are real coaches.

Luckily, the Premier League season is longer than the NFL season haha.