CFZ Why Shouldn't Tony Pollard Leave Dallas?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Pollard played one more game without splitting carries...and the O line was blowing huge holes in the Bear defense. I am guessing Zeke would have got his fair share of yards against the Bears. I think the split carries is working for both and for the team. Not sure why there has to be one lead back Keeping them fresh seems to be working. And there are still some things that Zeke does better.

I am fascinated at the shortness of some folks' memory. They seem to have completely forgotten that a healthy Zeke put up over 140 yards against the Panthers last year after they rolled into AT&T Stadium as the #1 run defense in the league. Pollard had a nice game against the 29th (now maybe lower) ranked run defense.. Zeke had a similar game against a team that was #1 ... I assume I don't need to explain the difference to anyone.. Not that would it do any good. A healthy Zeke can destroy defenses.. and I am really happy that they rested him this week and the bye week.. so he'll be three weeks beyond that helmet to the knee... I hope we keep Pollard and Zeke both.. But if one or both is gone I will root for whoever replaces them.. That's the game..

Last edited:

Dre11

Reaction score
This season....

Zeke: 443 yards
Pollard: 506 yards

He can go if he wa to, be a featured back and end up like Demarco Murray in Philly.

Zeke: 0 100-yard rushing games
Pollard: 2 100-yard rushing games.

Zeke:4 TDs
Pollard: 5 TDs

Zeke: 6 catches
Pollard: 12 catches

Zeke: 32 receiving yards
Pollard: 121 receiving yards

Zeke: 15 carries a game
Pollard: 10 carries a game

Zeke: 63 YPG
Pollard: 63 YPG

Zeke: 4.1 YPA (32nd in the NFL)
Pollard: 6.2 YPA (1st in the NFL)

Then, after he rushes for 140 yards and 3 TDs Sunday you have Jerry coming out to let everyone know that Zeke is the man, we will go as he goes, and everything runs through Zeke blah blah blah.

Let's be real here for a second, Pollard has been better than Zeke for 2 years now.

Why shouldn't Pollard ditch this disrespect and go somewhere that will feature him? Surely, he wants an opportunity to be the real starter somewhere instead of living in a lesser players shadow because he doesn't make as much money. Everyone can see who makes the offense more explosive and who we seem to be able to speed things up with.

It's fine to let Zeke and Pollard split the carries to change up the pace, but I don't see how anyone can justify Zeke getting the majority of the carries at this point. The better player is Pollard at this point and he needs to be getting more of the playing time.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
This season....

Then, after he rushes for 140 yards and 3 TDs Sunday you have Jerry coming out to let everyone know that Zeke is the man, we will go as he goes, and everything runs through Zeke blah blah blah.

Let's be real here for a second, Pollard has been better than Zeke for 2 years now.

Why shouldn't Pollard ditch this disrespect and go somewhere that will feature him? Surely, he wants an opportunity to be the real starter somewhere instead of living in a lesser players shadow because he doesn't make as much money. Everyone can see who makes the offense more explosive and who we seem to be able to speed things up with.

It's fine to let Zeke and Pollard split the carries to change up the pace, but I don't see how anyone can justify Zeke getting the majority of the carries at this point. The better player is Pollard at this point and he needs to be getting more of the playing time.
Pollard will have a long and successful career as a 12-15 touches guy. Even after Zeke is gone, while Pollard runs tough inside, I would find someone else to be the hammer.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Pollard will have a long and successful career as a 12-15 touches guy. Even after Zeke is gone, while Pollard runs tough inside, I would find someone else to be the hammer.

If they move on for Zeke they will absolutely have to find another hammer. The Saints tried making Kamara the every down back and struggled to get 10 games out of him every year until they finally decided to bring Ingram back. People's unwillingness to acknowledge the simple fact that not every back can handle the load the Cowboys put on Zeke is maddening at times. Even if Zeke is not great anymore, keeping him on at a more cap friendly deal might be the best move for all involved.. except Zeke IMHO.. Cause he absolutely doesn't fit what Moore is trying to do with this offense.

Last edited:

mcmvp

Reaction score
This season....

Shouldn’t the question be’why wouldn’t you want Pollard to leave Dallas?’

never sign a running back to a second contract… Not ever

Last edited:

Havic

Reaction score
Shouldn’t the question be’why wouldn’t you want Pollard to leave Dallas.

never sign a running back to a second contract… Not ever

If we can get a team friendly deal with an easy out, I'm ok resigning him. If he breaks the bank, replacement will need to be in the draft.

mcmvp

Reaction score
If we can get a team friendly deal with an easy out, I'm ok resigning him. If he breaks the bank, replacement will need to be in the draft.

It rarely works that way… Especially when the running back is playing well prior to that second deal.

it’s much easier to pick up a free agent running back who has already come to terms with where he is in his career as a role player… Much cheaper

Havic

Reaction score
It rarely works that way… Especially when the running back is playing well prior to that second deal.

it’s much easier to pick up a free agent running back who has already come to terms with where he is in his career as a role player… Much cheaper

Will some team out there break the bank and make him the featured back? I'm not so sure, big named FA RB free agent class next year + excellent draft for RB's

plasticman

Reaction score
Pollard is better right?

When we look at Pollards stats we see larger numbers, right?

Okay, let's put Pollard in on 3rd and 1. Let's put him in at the goal line to run the ball two or three times every time they get a 1st and goal. Bring him in with a marginal lead halfway through the 4th quarter to eat the clock. Instead of giving him a route on passing plays, let him stay in and help block.

Give Pollard 20 carries a game.

He wouldn't make it to the playoffs.

Love him, but he isn't built for durability.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Will some team out there break the bank and make him the featured back? I'm not so sure, big named FA RB free agent class next year + excellent draft for RB's

Some team will make him their feature back…sure. Will some team break the bank? Irrelevant. Some team will certainly pay him more than his position is worth, and you should never want that team to be your team.

Keep the oline solid, and RBs are replaced without too much difficulty in mid-late rounds.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Pollard is better right?

Okay, let's put Pollard in on 3rd and 1. Let's put him in at the goal line to run the ball two or three times every time they get a 1st and goal. Bring him in with a marginal lead halfway through the 4th quarter to eat the clock. Instead of giving him a route on passing plays, let him stay in and help block.

His 54 yard tuddy was on 3rd and short. Just happened.

He'd score with 3 runs from the goal line. He has. Are you high?

49 points without the guy who supposedly our offense can't live without lol

No one is saying give Pollard 25-30 carries per game.

stiletto

Reaction score
He's gonna get $10++ million and I'd rather the Cowboys not pay that to a RB anymore and be stuck with a contract at that position. Pollard was a 4th round pick. There will be others. Love Pollard but nah...RB's are kind of flash in the pan. Get them while they are young and not beat up.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Pollard is better right?

Read that Skip Peete interview over on Dallas Cowboys.com.. Pollard was spent after the 50 yarder.. He played a total of 30 snaps.. Be basically told the coaches he could go no mo after that.. Not "I need a break.." He told them he couldn't go back in.. I'd have to go back and watch.. but I don't think he did.. He might just one of those guys like Marion Barber.. whose gas tank only holds about 15-16 carries and he's toast after that. The coaches need to figure out how to get the most out of those 15 totes.. I think they've been doing a better job of it this year.. I just hope they don't decide to wait until the playoffs and THEN ask him to carry it 25 times like Wade and Garrett did with Barber in '07. It pisses me off every time I think about switching up a formula that got you 13 wins heading into the playoffs. Stoopid stoopid stoopid..

Those that do not know history.....

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
This season....

Leave it to you to start a thread in the middle of a season, when things might be looking up for a change to discuss the running back leaving five months from now after the season is long gone.

This and your worn-out, threadbare negativity about most things Dallas has me wondering if your dog just said frick it, and left you to head out on the road. Alone.

But the truth is, this is about you trying to prove you are right about everything you complain about. You must be a real joy to be around at a Christmas party.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
His 54 yard tuddy was on 3rd and short. Just happened.

He'd score with 3 runs from the goal line. He has. Are you high?

49 points without the guy who supposedly our offense can't live without lol

No one is saying give Pollard 25-30 carries per game.

I don't think anyone has ever said this. I readily acknowledge that there is more than one good running back in the world ... and have stated on MANY occasions that Pollard is better suited for Moore's offense than Zeke is.. My issue was and remains what happens when the defensive front seven is beating our o-line like Washington or Philly did? Or like Tampa did? We all remember how "explosive" Pollard was in those games right? Some games are going to be slugfests.. When those games happen.. I want a sledgehammer not a cordless drill... Oh and the offense topped the 50 point mark twice last year with Pollard in street clothes if I'm not mistaken.. Like I said.. there's more than one good running back in the world.. I'm happy the Cowboys have two of them.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
No offense to Pollard, but I hope he does leave, honestly. Never, ever pay running backs. EVER.

Maybe if he leaves he can take OP with him

nathanlt

Reaction score
This season....

Well, because he just proved that he gets more TD's in his best game than Zeke does, and he's on a team with a smothering defense. Those are pretty good reasons to stay with Dallas! Plus, he won't get to wear the star anymore if he left the team.