Why so much hate for Dez?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was a mistake for the team to anoint him as the "next" 88. It's always a problem for a guy to get accolades before he's actually accomplished anything.

A lot of players would be a lot better off if they were completely ignorant of their draft status and contract.
Probably why Parcells made 1st round picks be his water boy.

dfense

Reaction score
25 straight Regular Season Games without 100 Yard Receiving while dropping 50% of his Balls getting paid $16M a year to do so.

Let alone his terrible Route Running and being unable to get open by himself.
50% ? hyperbole much? All the receivers have underperformed. What do they all have in common?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Quick Fact: The Cowboys have 3 individual 100-yard receiving games in the past 24 games.

Dez-1
Twill-1
Witten-1

Since Dak has been starter:

Beasley hasn't had 1 in the last two seasons

Butler has 0

Twill has 1

Witten has 1

Dez Bryant has 3

Once again, its the QB. Why people can't see this is beyond me...
If TWill had the same number of targets as Dez, he projects to have had 10 in that time frame.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I suspect it's jealousy. Yeah he's getting paid like a #1 WR but the fans saying "see ya" probably never played football beyond HS nor will they make $12.5 mill in 2018. They're couch taters and haters of chips and soda pop. I suppose that's generalizing though

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
In today’s internet age, you’re either a hater or a lover so any criticism of Dez makes you a hater.

I have a laundry list of specific reasons why I hate Dez but I will sum them up from a high level:

1. He could have been so much better than he was/is if he focused on his route running (even in 2012-2014). Drew Pearson was constantly taking about wanting Dez to get help running routes.

2. His passion is misused. He doesn’t use it to positively impact the team. When Dez’s passion is on display others have to try and calm him down. It should be used to pump others up.

3. His drops come at the most inopportune times. Touchdown passes or 3rd/4th down conversions. His signature highlight plays are close but no cigar. I don’t care if the rule changed, he should have wrapped the ball up agianst GB for the first down and he should have kept his pinky in bounds.

4. He used to fumble a lot but got that under control. He did fumble in a critical game last year beciase he holds the ball one handed with his palm too often.

5. He has had mental lapses on the field that have hurt the team like not blocking while the QB is scrambling and arguing with the DB while an interception is being returned for a TD.

6. You have fans that will go to extreme lengths to defend Dez against other fans having issues with 1-5 and just wanting others to love Dez like they do or else they hate Dez.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Butler had 15 catches. Thats less than 1 per game.

You can only catch the ones they throw to you. Butler was only targeted ~1.5 times a game. His 65% catch rate was stellar given his 21 yard per reception average.

We should have thrown to Butler a *lot* more. He was the guy designed to beat the press man coverage the wideouts were seeing, and he *did* beat it, when given the chance. Our coaches blow.

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
I don't hate Dez but his demeanor at the SeaHawks game was very selfish. Dez has become a big distraction taking the team out of the zone. Players and the team need be to able to stay focused on task at hand and that is not easy to do with a teammate throwing toys out of the crib on the sidelines.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
It's the only way to have a reasonable comparison.

They force-fed the ball to Dez to avoid his meltdowns.
He has had 1 100 yd game in all of the games Dez has missed over the past three seasons.

Why wasnt he force fed then?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
50% ? hyperbole much? All the receivers have underperformed. What do they all have in common?

Last year they had Dak in common, but let’s see take a look at them.

TWill - that dude has always been hated despite being the receiver with the clutch catches. People can’t stand his body catching.

Witten - people have been hating on him for years due to his diminishing production. He catches too many 7 yard passes on 3rd and 8 and hasn’t scored a lot of TDs for a tight end. People want him to retire and he has actually played well with Dak.

Beasley - he improved with Dak and then started drawing the double coverage last year. There is a thread now wanting him cut to save money on the cap and use his clone, Switzer.

I guess the hate doesn’t just stop with Dez and the hate didn’t start with Dak.

Last edited:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I was a pretty big fan of Dez until this past season. If I'm not thrilled with a player and some other fans need to call me a hater to make themselves feel warm and fuzzy, so be it. I couldn't care less. Dez put up No. 1 production the 1st half of his career. The numbers are there. Using hindsight, Dez has always run lazy routes. He's always whined on the sideline. He's always been a distraction to his team. His own teammates were rolling their eyes as if they were watching a 5 year old come undone.
But! he WAS putting up numbers. Big red-zone threat. I think the Dezzies ignore all of the nonsense because he was putting up numbers. So they refuse to admit he's the same guy but NOT producing like he used to. Without Dez, the team was just fine. He's not a make or break player.
So here we are now. NOT in the past. Some fans are ready for a change, ready to move on. They are ready to bring in a player or players who will do a better job. Better job doing what you ask?
Run better routes.
Catch balls that are in his hands.
Protect the ball after the catch, not one handing it.
Focus on balls in traffic, not freezing.
When the play isn't to you, pretend it is and run the play. Block, decoy etc....
If a play breaks down, don't quit. Get in there and make plays.
If a pass is under, over or badly thrown stop whining and make a play on it.
In the event a defender makes a play or capitalizes on a bad pass - become a defender.

The Seattle game was it for me. This entire season he's underachieved and was a spoiled brat but the Seattle game was ridiculous.
So if fans need to call those facts hate then fine, but it's a bs word thrown around too often.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The question wouldn't be asked if Dez was making 5 million a year or putting up pro bowl numbers.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hate is probably a strong word, maybe a better word would be contempt, disdain, venom, etc. I have noticed so many posts with people gleefully letting Dez know "See Ya". I get that he is being paid like an elite/top 2-3 best WR's in the NFL and he is not that anymore. Time and injuries are starting to affect his play so I get the frustration especially with our current cap situation. But still, why such a strong dislike for this guy? He is the Cowboys all time TD leader and has given us a lot of joy in a decade that has not been fun and down right depresssing at times. If not for Blandino his catch at GB would probably be up there with some of the all time great catches in Cowboys playoff history. He has been a great team player, bleeds silver and blue, is great with fans, and is respected and admired by his teammates. Yea I got frustrated by the drops last year and the fumble in the Seahawks game but he is human. He admits he got frustrated last year and the Seattle game was not a good look but he has never been accused of being a selfish player. Even Stephen Jones has taken shots during the off season while giving Jason Witten a free pass even though he is being paid as an elite TE which he clearly is not at this point in his career. When his new contract was announced it seemed like an overwhelming majority of fans were happy at the time. I do believe that we need an infusion of youth and speed at WR and everything points to the Cowboys using one of their premium picks at WR. Every player realizes this is a business and father time is undefeated but I just don't understand the downright nastiness that some fans are throwing his way.
He has certain sub-group of fans that are vile, disgusting people.

Jerry helped Dez out when he got into financial trouble with some type of contract restructure to advance him money.

Jerry and the Cowboys tolerated all kinds of off-field issues with Dez. They had to setup baby sitters for him.

Jerry "pulled strings" to keep him out of legal trouble.

Dez hit his Mom.

He was late to more meetings than any player since Jerry owned the team.

He had multiple sideline meltdowns.

He almost cost the Cowboys the playoff game they won before the Dez caught/didn't-catch game because he ran into the middle of the field while the Cowboys defense was on the field. Dez was complaining about a call. His actions would normally draw a flag.

He cost Cowboys fans a chance for the team to go to the NFC championship game on the well publicised non-catch. He had the ball in his possession but he had to go for the glory and tried to reach out to score which caused the ball to come out and be ruled incomplete.

His agent had worked out a contract with the Cowboys. Dez fired the agent before signing the contract.

Despite all of this, he threw a fit when they gave him the Franchise Tag. He made derogatory comments about the team and management. He refused to go to the practice facility and he didn't workout on his own.

Once he signed the contract, he was completely out of shape.

He got the big contract but had even more sideline meltdowns.

He is useless if he does not get targeted enough early.

He never worked to learn the nuances of route running.

It is obvious to defenders when he is not expecting the ball because he just loafs around.

He loafs on many run plays.

He crys like a baby when DBs get the best of him in training camp (see the fight with Scandrick).

He likes to show up rookie UDFA CBs in practice.

He exemplifies the look at me, selfish, dumb, too lazy to study film or the playbook, melts down when he doesn't get his way type of athlete.

His type gives athletes and Cowboys players a bad reputation which is unfair to guys like Witten, Lee, Frederick, Martin, etc..

As I said in the beginning, it's some of his hardcore fan Boiz that really cause me to despise him.