Why taking a knee is respectful

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
I am talking about one person who should at the very least not be admired. I am not referring to an entire country and their history of perceived wrong doings. It sounds like you are talking about multiple different moving parts and how they have adversely affected the world. While i am sure there is some truth to what you are preaching, there are very many sides to what you are talking about.

And yes. Over the years I am sure the U.S. had some wrong doings. And i do like to think that we were at least trying to help those who were being oppressed by true dictators(even though I am sure money had to do with a lot of it) even though we may not have executed perfectly. I guess we could have done nothing.

All I was trying to get at is that Kaep should have left supporting Castro and depicting cops as pigs out of it if he really wanted people to respect his point.

Sometimes the over the top helps get attention.

And if you think the gov had good intentions, explain giving Saudi Arabia weapons and keeping classified info that proved they funded 9/11...and our Presidents still go over and bow to them.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We will start light.

How about running, tackling and slamming an innocent autistic 14 year old to the ground?

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/09/ar...ected-drug-use-but-police-defend-his-actions/
There was no malicious action there. The police officer mistakenly thought the kid was on drugs and was refusing verbal commands. The officer apologize and was disciplined. The kid survived. How dare you compare that to what happen to Otto Warmbier in North Korea.

jjtrcka22

Reaction score

And if you think the gov had good intentions, explain giving Saudi Arabia weapons and keeping classified info that proved they funded 9/11...and our Presidents still go over and bow to them.

It can definitely get you attention, but it can also help you lose credibility. It also takes the focus away from your argument.

And I don't know alot of information about your second paragraph. Sounds like conspiracy theories, but maybe there is substance to it. Not trying to put your point down, but I just haven't researched it very deep. But like I said earlier, I am sure money was behind some of the intentions of individuals working within our government.

jjtrcka22

Reaction score
Thanks for your response.

What really needs to happen is crime moves back to harming another's personal property or person. Instead, we have crimes for everything under the sun. Literally everything is a crime one way or another.

I mean, you can get arrested for feeding the homeless: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/man-90-arrested-week-feeding-homeless-article-1.2002790

Check out this list of actual things people have been charged with felonies for:

1) Receiving a shipment in the wrong packaging
2) Getting lost in the woods
3) Taking a fake sick day
4) Tell friends and family not to use services at a company you formerly worked for
5) Creating a website for a religious charity

https://mic.com/articles/86797/8-ways-we-regularly-commit-felonies-without-realizing-it#.9vyj0mFvr

It would fix itself instantly if we went back to actual crimes, and not made up crimes for the purposes of manipulation and extortion.

We are definitely on the same page there. I would agree the law should be in place to protect people and personal property. And yes, the ones you listed are almost unbelievable. I guess thats a way they get to collect money (pretty much the root of alot of human reasoning unfortunately).

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

If you want to be taken seriously, and I'm sure you do, you should put just a tiny bit more effort in making factual statements. The US government didn't just give Saudi Arabia weapons... there were several billion dollars given to the US government in exchange. :p

EST_1986

Reaction score

I don’t buy into the fact that we directly funded 9/11, as much as Bush seemed out of it, I just do not believe he was working against the American people.

KB1122

Reaction score
Yes Democrats!

Taking a knee during the anthem is a sign of respect!

In fact, all of you should do it!

Tell all of your friends!

Yes, please!

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
I don’t buy into the fact that we directly funded 9/11, as much as Bush seemed out of it, I just do not believe he was working against the American people.

Indirectly. Even after they declassified the memo, we still agreed to $100b in weapons for them

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
If you want to be taken seriously, and I'm sure you do, you should put just a tiny bit more effort in making factual statements. The US government didn't just give Saudi Arabia weapons... there were several billion dollars given to the US government in exchange. :p

What I said is factual.

Because what should have been done is zero agreement and not $1 of anything

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
There was no malicious action there. The police officer mistakenly thought the kid was on drugs and was refusing verbal commands. The officer apologize and was disciplined. The kid survived. How dare you compare that to what happen to Otto Warmbier in North Korea.

I said we would start softly lol. That isn't the entire framework of everything.

I consider attacking someone innocent leaps above arresting and beating a kid for stealing.

Innocent > actual crime

EST_1986

Reaction score
that cop was a ******** right out of the car but no way he could have known the kid was autistic

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
There is nothing respectful about it. It's a slap in the face to all Americans who have fought to protect our rights and our freedom. Anyone who tries to spin this any other way is a liberial tool.:rolleyes:

jjtrcka22

Reaction score
I guess I'm not as pessimistic as you about irradiating bigotry. I'm 51 years old and have witnessed great strides forward in society in my lifetime. But I'm cautious to never be complacent about how I perceive society.

My business requires me to travel on occasion and I relish these opportunities to compare how a change in environment effects the social norms around me. NY and California have completely different vibes and they are both completely foreign to this Texan.

When I was a very young boy my grandparents sat me and my cousins down and explained to us why it is important to always be on our best behavior around the police. They said always be respectful and honest and understand they are doing a job that can quickly get dangerous for them and so they do not respond to things the way civilians do. Above all else, my grandparents told us the police are not bad guys even though they carry guns. They are the ones that keep the bad guys away. That lecture stayed with me and today I'm thinking those things are not being told to the youth of today. I see young black boys afraid of police and wonder, "why that is?". Are they told to be that way or has their experience with police taught them to respond that way? Young boys of course grow up to be men and if they do so while afraid of police then there is no surprise why we have this great divide between police and the black community. I believe it is up to all of us including the police to close that divide and ease fears. If the police are not trusted then how can they do their job effectively. And if the police don't make it their business to be familiar with the communities they are assigned to protect then how can they be trusted?

I don't think I was being pessimistic. I was just being realistic. I was just trying to convey that we are humans and we will never be perfect. Even with that said, we should all individually strive to be perfect. We have come a long way and we should always strive to do even better. My point was that just because a story ofndisciminat

And it sounds like you were brought up right. Why someone would fear a cop varies by the individual. It could be they were dealt with brutally by a cop. It could also be that Some people have no discipline in the household and police are the first ones to discipline them. That could cause a hate/fear. The media always drives the negative stories. I heard lil Wayne tell a story about a white cop saving him after he shot himself, but I don't remember that getting near the media play that the negative stuff gets.
I guess I'm not as pessimistic as you about irradiating bigotry. I'm 51 years old and have witnessed great strides forward in society in my lifetime. But I'm cautious to never be complacent about how I perceive society.

My business requires me to travel on occasion and I relish these opportunities to compare how a change in environment effects the social norms around me. NY and California have completely different vibes and they are both completely foreign to this Texan.

When I was a very young boy my grandparents sat me and my cousins down and explained to us why it is important to always be on our best behavior around the police. They said always be respectful and honest and understand they are doing a job that can quickly get dangerous for them and so they do not respond to things the way civilians do. Above all else, my grandparents told us the police are not bad guys even though they carry guns. They are the ones that keep the bad guys away. That lecture stayed with me and today I'm thinking those things are not being told to the youth of today. I see young black boys afraid of police and wonder, "why that is?". Are they told to be that way or has their experience with police taught them to respond that way? Young boys of course grow up to be men and if they do so while afraid of police then there is no surprise why we have this great divide between police and the black community. I believe it is up to all of us including the police to close that divide and ease fears. If the police are not trusted then how can they do their job effectively. And if the police don't make it their business to be familiar with the communities they are assigned to protect then how can they be trusted?

I don't consider myself pessimistic about it. I, too, agree that we have come along way and should always strive to be perfect. The point I was trying to convey is that we are humans, and we will never be perfect. Negativity sells in the media. There will always be negative stories (ones that drive certain agendas anyway). That does not take away from the gravity of what happens, but every case is different. It does not necessarily mean there is an epidemic, otherwise people should be discussing many "epidemics" that are not as strongly covered by many news outlets. Alot of people like to just paint with broad strokes (it's easier) instead of treating every case individually. And I don't want to put down anyone's issue that they are bringing light to, but I think alot of people do get tired of just seeing a protest and not any ideas for what they want done about it or how to go about fixing it.

And it sounds like you were brought up right. I cannot say why young black men are afraid of cops. You could get many different answers based on who you asked. It could definitely be because they, or a family member, was dealt with unjustly by an officer. It could also be that some kids (of all races) aren't properly disciplined at home, and their first time being disciplined is by a police officer. So, they view them as the bad guy. And, just like many teachers know, alot of parents put the fault on the person that reprimands their child (which allows the child to not have to feel responsible for their actions). I'm not saying this is every case, but I have seen and heard alot of these types of examples. I think that is a big issue in general (definitely not tied to one race either).

And sorry I responded late. I made some other comments, and responses, so I have been playing catch up. And I may have gotten off the original topic. Some replies are kind of blurring together. But I do think the discussion is constructive.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I said we would start softly lol. That isn't the entire framework of everything.

I consider attacking someone innocent leaps above arresting and beating a kid for stealing.

Innocent > actual crime
You are wasting my time with petty sob stories and I'm starting to resent it. Just stop. Have a good cry and get it out of your system and then go back to your safe zone.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
that cop was a ******** right out of the car but no way he could have known the kid was autistic
So are we going to fire all the dickheads? That's not how society works. The cop was disciplined(retrained and forced to apologize) and the kid did survive the cops mistake.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
There is nothing respectful about it. It's a slap in the face to all Americans who have fought to protect our rights and our freedom. Anyone who tries to spin this any other way is a liberial tool.:rolleyes:

Anyone who doesn't support the protests in a racist bigot.

See how declarative statements work both ways?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't think I was being pessimistic. I was just being realistic. I was just trying to convey that we are humans and we will never be perfect. Even with that said, we should all individually strive to be perfect. We have come a long way and we should always strive to do even better. My point was that just because a story ofndisciminat

And it sounds like you were brought up right. Why someone would fear a cop varies by the individual. It could be they were dealt with brutally by a cop. It could also be that Some people have no discipline in the household and police are the first ones to discipline them. That could cause a hate/fear. The media always drives the negative stories. I heard lil Wayne tell a story about a white cop saving him after he shot himself, but I don't remember that getting near the media play that the negative stuff gets.

I don't consider myself pessimistic about it. I, too, agree that we have come along way and should always strive to be perfect. The point I was trying to convey is that we are humans, and we will never be perfect. Negativity sells in the media. There will always be negative stories (ones that drive certain agendas anyway). That does not take away from the gravity of what happens, but every case is different. It does not necessarily mean there is an epidemic, otherwise people should be discussing many "epidemics" that are not as strongly covered by many news outlets. Alot of people like to just paint with broad strokes (it's easier) instead of treating every case individually. And I don't want to put down anyone's issue that they are bringing light to, but I think alot of people do get tired of just seeing a protest and not any ideas for what they want done about it or how to go about fixing it.

And it sounds like you were brought up right. I cannot say why young black men are afraid of cops. You could get many different answers based on who you asked. It could definitely be because they, or a family member, was dealt with unjustly by an officer. It could also be that some kids (of all races) aren't properly disciplined at home, and their first time being disciplined is by a police officer. So, they view them as the bad guy. And, just like many teachers know, alot of parents put the fault on the person that reprimands their child (which allows the child to not have to feel responsible for their actions). I'm not saying this is every case, but I have seen and heard alot of these types of examples. I think that is a big issue in general (definitely not tied to one race either).

And sorry I responded late. I made some other comments, and responses, so I have been playing catch up. And I may have gotten off the original topic. Some replies are kind of blurring together. But I do think the discussion is constructive.
Good post. I concur with much of what you say. I understand being busy, no need to apologize about getting back to me late.

EST_1986

Reaction score
So are we going to fire all the dickheads? That's not how society works. The cop was disciplined(retrained and forced to apologize) and the kid did survive the cops mistake.
Hell no I'd be out of a job