Why the 4th and 3 failed

Carson

Reaction score
As Bluestar said above, if it works, McCarthy is being heralded. I would have kicked a FG there though, however, even though the D tightened up in the 2nd half, they werent stopping the Rams much and I still think even with the FG they still lose.

You make it 20-20 and hope your defense makes a stop and go win the game.

I don’t mind the 4th and 3 going for it. I just hate the give up draw on 3rd and 6

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Always find a way to blame Dak, right lol. When in doubt, blame Dak instead of crediting the defense. Blame McCarthy for the decision.

Are you saying Dak led him perfectly?

They receiver had to reach down and behind rather than pick up speed. It's a valid observation.

"How dare you say anything critical of Dak".

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
KM is the reason..his training wheels are off and it was more of the same 2019 withour Garett..seems choppy comparted to Mcvays game plan was working all day TOP was being ate up while we couldn't move the ball consistently with all that talent..hmmm

Our defense sucked. Got blown off the line of scrimmage. Couldnt; get to Goff. Late to the ball.

Carson

Reaction score
Our defense sucked. Got blown off the line of scrimmage. Couldnt; get to Goff. Late to the ball.

Same song different dance.

We simply never attack and allow offenses to do as they please. It was like watching a JV team cover their first screen

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It was a dumb call in that situation. Down 4? Sure. Down 3? You tie the game.

There was only half a quarter left and we got the ball once after this decision.
yeah I agree, I often ask what would madden do here, and he would have kicked the short fg, and tied it up.
Bad choice to go for it with 3 yards to go , in game one, and the cowboys hadnt played that good, and then to top it off
pass goes to a rookie playing his first game!!!! lol

I have to say I am disappointed in MM, Team looked the same as in the past.
And kellen may be smart but he lacks basic common sense. Cowboys should have maintained a balanced offense or even been run heavy
in this first game, but kellen was pass happy throwing 39 times to only 24 rushes by rb's.

But lets give the rams credit, they looked sharp, and didnt make the sloppy mistakes like cowboys.
Could be dallas got spanked by a very good team.

Funny thing is Wash is now leading the div !!!!! who would have predicted that ?? ..... no one, lol absolutely no one

Bluedocd

Reaction score
But lets give the rams credit, they looked sharp, and didnt make the sloppy mistakes like cowboys.

Funny thing is Wash is now leading the div !!!!! who would have predicted that ?? ..... no one, lol absolutely no one
Yep agree totally. I don't even mind so much that McVay outcoached this team, it's just how sloppy we looked, especially on defense at times. Stupid offsides calls, missed tackles? That's something I definitely thought McCarthy would have been paid to clean up. Otherwise why get rid of Garrett. His team was doing those things and at least he would have went for the tying field goal.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I think you are over looking the fact we should have not been going for the first down anyway. Should have gotten the 3 points and tied the game.

How about just throwing the ball on 3rd and 6 instead of a simple handoff up the middle on a short field.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
yeah I agree, I often ask what would madden do here, and he would have kicked the short fg, and tied it up.
Bad choice to go for it with 3 yards to go , in game one, and the cowboys hadnt played that good, and then to top it off
pass goes to a rookie playing his first game!!!! lol

I have to say I am disappointed in MM, Team looked the same as in the past.
And kellen may be smart but he lacks basic common sense. Cowboys should have maintained a balanced offense or even been run heavy
in this first game, but kellen was pass happy throwing 39 times to only 24 rushes by rb's.

I think thats why he went for it. We were not the better team and converting there we could have possibly stole the game even though it was a sloppy game

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Should have been a naked boot with two levels coming across the field. This is Dak's bread and butter in these situations. Get him moving in space with a couple of guys flashing across at multiple levels. MM is still figuring out the personnel. That said, it still should have worked.

HanD

Reaction score
dak probably could have thrown it a touch earlier and cleaner but credit to the defense.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
As Bluestar said above, if it works, McCarthy is being heralded. I would have kicked a FG there though, however, even though the D tightened up in the 2nd half, they werent stopping the Rams much and I still think even with the FG they still lose.

Yup. TD puts you up by 4 and forces the rams to have to make a TD instead of win on a FG.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
That was a good breakdown, good play by the D also. At the time of the call, I was all in on going for it.

Paradox

Reaction score
On 4th and 3 you take the field goal when you're down a field goal. That's common sense. Why would you even go for it there?

Bluedocd

Reaction score
How about just throwing the ball on 3rd and 6 instead of a simple handoff up the middle on a short field.
Well they knew they were going to go for it on 4th down so a safe run for 3 or 4 yds seemed to make sense. I agree with a pass if I know I'm going to kick a FG on 4th down. Which of course I would have done so yeah you right...pass the ball.