Why the 4th and 3 failed

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
On 4th and 3 you take the field goal when you're down a field goal. That's common sense. Why would you even go for it there?
Because the Rams were probably going to score again, at some point, anyway.

If you hold them to a field goal on the next drive, you need a touchdown anyway. So basically, you have two shots to get one touchdown and win instead of trying to field goals just to tie.

Paradox

Reaction score

If you hold them to a field goal on the next drive, you need a touchdown anyway. So basically, you have two shots to get one touchdown and win instead of trying to field goals just to tie.

There was still 12 minutes left in the game. You don't need to go for it there. You take the points because you tie the game. It also would have forced the Rams to approach it differently instead of milking clock.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
It was a dumb call in that situation. Down 4? Sure. Down 3? You tie the game.

There was only half a quarter left and we got the ball once after this decision.
Without doubt you kick the FG.

This puts the pressure on LA.

Then they have to move the ball 70 yds to score.

Otherwise, they have the lead and play it very differently.

McVay out-coached Big Mike all game.

At least we can stop hero worshipping McCarthy.

The honeymoon is over.

Creeper

Reaction score
I probably would have kicked the FG, but the way the defense was playing I imagine McCarthy figured he had to go for it or the Rams would easily come back and kick a FG. I don't really have an issue with the call. But like others have said the TE needs to get deeper. He needs to get beyond 5 yards so they can't jam him up and he clears out the middle of the field for CeeDee to get tot he 1st down marker. CeeDee is a thin guy so safeties are going to stop him in his tracks in the NFL, especially if he is running sideways. I wonder if that was Jarwin or Witten if the play would have worked.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Well they knew they were going to go for it on 4th down so a safe run for 3 or 4 yds seemed to make sense. I agree with a pass if I know I'm going to kick a FG on 4th down. Which of course I would have done so yeah you right...pass the ball.

It makes sense to run up the middle on 3rd and 6 in the redzone in the 4th quarter when you are down by 3? Since when? You mean the QB demanding $35-40 million a year can’t be trusted to throw the ball in that situation? No team runs the ball in that scenario, ever! It was stupid and a big reason they loss the game.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Why are so many of you stuck on football norms that have no basis in science?

Just because that's how you've always thought something should be done, or even how the league has always thought things should be done, doesn't mean that's the way that offers the highest chance of winning.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
dak probably could have thrown it a touch earlier and cleaner but credit to the defense.

their guy was flying to the receiver. That’s one hell of a clean impactful tackle. Lamb did a good job hanging on to ball

mahoneybill

Reaction score

the way our D was playing even though better in 2nd half no guarantee Rams wouldn’t get into a make game winner FG

jsb357

Reaction score
at a critical monument in the game the coaching staff decided to
put the ball in the hands of a rookie in his first NFL game.

they made a critical mistake

Then MM went one further by not tying the game.

3 penalties on wide receivers in the game?

what the hey?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The honeymoon is over.
Based off of one game with a new team....that frankly...did not execute very well.

If you call supporting a new coach- FINALLY!.... "worshiping"....then you are just an a....never mind

jblaze2004

Reaction score
I think it was the wrong play call. Look at all those defenders looking at zeke and cheating up. We should of ran playaction.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
It makes sense to run up the middle on 3rd and 6 in the redzone in the 4th quarter when you are down by 3? Since when? You mean the QB demanding $35-40 million a year can’t be trusted to throw the ball in that situation? No team runs the ball in that scenario, ever! It was stupid and a big reason they loss the game.
Moore called that play..

remember?

Crazy call and cost us the game possibly.

BigD_95

Reaction score
Always find a way to blame Dak, right lol. When in doubt, blame Dak instead of crediting the defense. Blame McCarthy for the decision.

I said thats why you kick the field goal

but call it what it is. If CD doesnt have to slow and adjust for the ball its a 1st down

kskboys

Reaction score
Our defense sucked. Got blown off the line of scrimmage. Couldnt; get to Goff. Late to the ball.
That is what I saw.

At least w/ Poe/McC/Galley we tried to fix it. Never even tried under Marinate.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Based off of one game with a new team....that frankly...did not execute very well.

If you call supporting a new coach- FINALLY!.... "worshiping"....then you are just an a....never mind
When I say "worshipping"..

I mean too many fans think he does not make mistakes and whatever McCarthy wants is OK by them.

That's just not realistic.

By the looks of last night..the little honeymoon with McCarthy is short and sweet.

Just my thoughts.

Bluedocd

Reaction score
now now cowboys22...lets just settle down. Again if you know you are going for it on 4th down, a run here makes sense because the defense is LIKELY NOT EXPECTING it! They are probably thinking you are going to pass and here a good run could pick up several of the yards and likely the first down. This is not an unheard of play call in this situation. And even $35-40 million QBs may find it difficult to get a pass completed on third and long with the defense playing pass. Happened a lot yesterday.

Staubacher

Reaction score

The honeymoon is over.
Garrett had 10 years. McCarthy gets more than one game.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Garrett had 10 years. McCarthy gets more than one game.
Yeah.

I don't imply we fire McCarthy.

I just want to know if we agree or disagree that a honeymoon is over?

It was a meaningful comment. Not click bait or anything.

This year had us at a disadvantage the moment we knew there was no preseason and meetings would be on Zoom.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Are you freaking kidding me here? No wonder this fool is no longer a QB in the NFL. What an assigning breakdown of this entire play. This is all QB. Now, I will say this, the inexperience of Lamb did show up in this game and on that play, for sure but if you look at that play, this is all on the QB.

1. Lamb is a Rookie and you gotta know that. This is why Troy never threw to Rookies or NGs.

2. This entire play is the Safety read. If the deep Safety crashes down, then boom, you have a TD or at worst, a 1st. If that read is done properly, then you immediately know that you have Cooper at the second level for a 1st down at worst.

3. You have Zeke in the corner of the endzone on an easy throw because let me tell you, Zeke has his guy beat on this play for 6.

This play is all on Dak IMO.