Video: Why The Cowboys are stuck with Brett Maher

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I don't think they are stuck but I think at this point in the season you are looking to sign someone of the same caliber of Maher but maybe not with the ability to kick 60 yarders. Hopefully Maher encourages this team to be less conservative.
There will be kickers raining from the sky for the next few weeks.

Jipper

Reaction score
guys literally needs to make 3 more kicks a season vs what he missed last year to move to a high 80s percent....honestly he's not that far off and he has a massive leg.

kicking is an odd beast, such a small sample set when you can miss 3 times and drop from top 15 to bottom 5...

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Their is no excuse for Dallas not bringing in three or four of these college kickers to at least attempt to find an upgrade. There is no excuse for it and I can promise you that they will pay for it. There are some options out there like the young kid with the Ravens that kicks and punts well. Several teams are interested, but Dallas is not which is no surprise. What would it hurt to at least explore their options?
3-4 kickers on top of the incumbent is too much - there wouldn’t be ample opportunity to really evaluate that many. But I think there should always be 2-3 kickers at the start of training camp. I think most years there have been. I don’t understand why they are going only with Maher.

Jipper

Reaction score
3-4 kickers on top of the incumbent is too much - there wouldn’t be ample opportunity to really evaluate that many. But I think there should always be 2-3 kickers at the start of training camp. I think most years there have been. I don’t understand why they are going only with Maher.

I think a lot has to do with his leg strength honeslty....i think they like the fact that he can hit from 60 with ease....plus I think they are hoping he corects the issue he's having with the right hash

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Not stuck with anyone. We have had plenty of chances and opportunity to bring in kickers, all the way from when he was doing poor last season. They just looked the other way and for some stupid reason aren’t looking at a player that makes game winning kicks. The difference between winning and losing a game. Or a OT. It’s a serious position.

The FO definitely should have explored other options, even if only for competitive reasons. I'm still hoping they manage to find a better one after the final cuts, though. Whether a better one turns up then remains to be seen and chances are, it'd be a gamble. Granted, it was mishandled from the start.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think a lot has to do with his leg strength honeslty....i think they like the fact that he can hit from 60 with ease....plus I think they are hoping he corects the issue he's having with the right hash
I get that, and don’t disagree with giving him the chance, but ultimately accuracy has to win out so it seems an alternative would be good to have in camp.

Jipper

Reaction score
I get that, and don’t disagree with giving him the chance, but ultimately accuracy has to win out so it seems an alternative would be good to have in camp.

I agree, and I wonder if it's bc they want him to feel mentally like he is there guy? kicking is such a mental position that I am thinking the cowboys could be approaching differently to help with his confidence?

just a thought

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree, and I wonder if it's bc they want him to feel mentally like he is there guy? kicking is such a mental position that I am thinking the cowboys could be approaching differently to help with his confidence?

just a thought
That crossed my mind too.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
He's really not terrible. If he can hit better from 40-49 he'd be top 10. I don't care how many kicks he almost misses. If he almost misses every kick then he's hitting 100%.

You guys talk like he's hitting only half his kicks.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maher was a free agent signee, not a our guy draft pick.
I think “our guys” refers to the players we have, not just the players we drafted.

Of course it’s still a pretty nonsensical comment because it implies the Cowboys never move on from a player. They moved on from Dan Bailey, so there is no reason to think they wouldn’t consider moving on from Maher

Last edited: