Video: Why The Cowboys are stuck with Brett Maher

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And what if they brought in 5 K's at different times, and none of them worked out. Would anyone be happy? Or would you still say, bring in another K? Would you say Maher is the right choice? I doubt anyone would be happy. By saying anyone, I mean the ones that want a change just to have a change because he missed a few FG's
Has anyone watched other teams TC's to see what their K's and their Competition are doing to compare?

I agree they should have had at least 1 K to compete. But they haven't. Maher will be the K, as this is the 1st time he has ever been the incumbent player to go through a 2nd complete off season with the same team. If he starts missing during the season, then deal with it then. Right now, I just hope he makes the FG's every time, as I did with Bailey even when he was at his best.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
There's always a chance a decent kicker might become available after the final cuts, although, it's probably a longshot. We'll see. If he's able to correct his woes with his kicking from the right hash marks, he would likely be retained. Of course, time will soon be running out for that. I'm betting he's been doing lots of work from that right side lately. If so, let's hope it works to his advantage. Knowing the cause should help him in working for a cure.

Last edited:

jnday

Reaction score
Which kicker in the NFL hasn't cost his team games?
I sure there are a few. The difference is that most teams don’t expect the kickers to cost them games. This team knows that this bum is gonna hurt the team all season long.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
I sure there are a few. The difference is that most teams don’t expect the kickers to cost them games. This team knows that this bum is gonna hurt the team all season long.

If the team knows then why don't they find someone else? I am not 100% sold on the guy either, but he isn't as terrible as some in here think. If the kicker is deciding games for you then you don't have a championship-winning team. Score TD's and the kicker becomes less of a factor in games.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't think they are stuck but I think at this point in the season you are looking to sign someone of the same caliber of Maher but maybe not with the ability to kick 60 yarders. Hopefully Maher encourages this team to be less conservative.

While I agree with you; if this team had a killer instinct, there would be little need for 60 yard field goals.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score

Your right. The Ravens didn't expect Tucker to miss a 32 yard fg(I think on dist) yet, there he was shanking it in a playoff game against the Patriots

The falcons sure didn't expect Matt byrant to miss a 30 something yard fg last season....yet sure as day he did

Kickers miss FG. The cowboys like Maher because he's not terrible, and has leg strength. Kickers you can only sign one who doesn't suck and hope for the best. Because even the best miss at the worst times. (Ask the colts about vander, the pats about both there current and past kicker.)

Whine all day but Maher is here to stay until he implodes Dan Bailey style. Teams either cut a kicker to early (ask Chicago if they want Robbie goulhd back) or way to late (ask Seattle about Blair Walsh)

I'd rather complain about dak and zeke

jnday

Reaction score
Your right. The Ravens didn't expect Tucker to miss a 32 yard fg(I think on dist) yet, there he was shanking it in a playoff game against the Patriots

The falcons sure didn't expect Matt byrant to miss a 30 something yard fg last season....yet sure as day he did

Kickers miss FG. The cowboys like Maher because he's not terrible, and has leg strength. Kickers you can only sign one who doesn't suck and hope for the best. Because even the best miss at the worst times. (Ask the colts about vander, the pats about both there current and past kicker.)

Whine all day but Maher is here to stay until he implodes Dan Bailey style. Teams either cut a kicker to early (ask Chicago if they want Robbie goulhd back) or way to late (ask Seattle about Blair Walsh)

I'd rather complain about dak and zeke
Dallas found Bailey by signing AuDFA kickers and then choose the best. That should have been done this offseason instead of giving the job to Maher will no competition.

irishline

Reaction score
I still have not watched this video.

I am still awaiting the recap.

Help.

DQayaLQ.gif

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Yikes, if that answer is accurate where is the scouting department on kickers?

I guess we'd better hope Maher stays healthy since they apparently don't of any other ones.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score

I would certainly sign Carli Lloyd as a kicker. Give her some coaching and she'd be great.

Lots of great kickers come from soccer backgrounds and Carli Lloyd is an assassin in the world cup so I'm not at all worried about the pressure getting to her.

She's had more success on the biggest stages of her sport than any current Cowboy has in the NFL.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I would certainly sign Carli Lloyd as a kicker. Give her some coaching and she'd be great.

Lots of great kickers come from soccer backgrounds and Carli Lloyd is an assassin in the world cup so I'm not at all worried about the pressure getting to her.

She's had more success on the biggest stages of her sport than any current Cowboy has in the NFL.

Going to need great blocking to allow for her six step run up to the ball.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Their is no excuse for Dallas not bringing in three or four of these college kickers to at least attempt to find an upgrade..........

Correct. No "excuse."

But there is a reason.

The reason... and surely, I'm repeating what someone else already posted by now... is that t's highly likely that anyone you'd have chosen to compete with and potentially replace Maher was already competing in someone else's camp with someone else's 2018 kicker anyhow, and that that guy.those guys got his/their walking papers today.

It's not like kickers have to learn plays. If you decide to cut your kicker on Monday and sign someone on a Tuesday, no one worries whether the new guy will be ready for Sunday. That's now, or any other week of the season.

So, no, it's a pretty silly contention that Cowboys HQ should have used one or more of their 90 TC roster slots on a kicker to compete with Maher, when in fact, there will be ample kickers unemployed today.

Nav22

Reaction score
Their is no excuse for Dallas not bringing in three or four of these college kickers to at least attempt to find an upgrade. There is no excuse for it and I can promise you that they will pay for it. There are some options out there like the young kid with the Ravens that kicks and punts well. Several teams are interested, but Dallas is not which is no surprise. What would it hurt to at least explore their options?
What makes you think they need to bring kickers into camp for “competition”?

There’s 31 other NFL training camps and a ton of kickers will be cut. Maher is competing against all of them.