Video: Why The Cowboys are stuck with Brett Maher

jnday

Reaction score
What makes you think they need to bring kickers into camp for “competition”?

There’s 31 other NFL training camps and a ton of kickers will be cut. Maher is competing against all of them.
Bringing in a few UDFA kickers worked really well when Dan Bailey won the job. He beat out a couple more UDFA kickers and I know one of them went on to kick for another team. Don’t you think it is more helpful to have the kickers in camp instead of being on another team? There is no way that Dallas can know about kickers from other teams as well as they would know them from being in camp. It is much better to choose from several kickers instead of just giving Maher the job.

jnday

Reaction score
Correct. No "excuse."

But there is a reason.

The reason... and surely, I'm repeating what someone else already posted by now... is that t's highly likely that anyone you'd have chosen to compete with and potentially replace Maher was already competing in someone else's camp with someone else's 2018 kicker anyhow, and that that guy.those guys got his/their walking papers today.

It's not like kickers have to learn plays. If you decide to cut your kicker on Monday and sign someone on a Tuesday, no one worries whether the new guy will be ready for Sunday. That's now, or any other week of the season.

So, no, it's a pretty silly contention that Cowboys HQ should have used one or more of their 90 TC roster slots on a kicker to compete with Maher, when in fact, there will be ample kickers unemployed today.
As I mentioned in another post, Dan Bailey got the kicking job in a year when the Cowboys did exactly what I am suggesting. Bailey is proof that it can work.

fansince68

Reaction score
Ex Raven now Ex Viking karre Vedvick cut. He can punt and kick...practice squad

Nav22

Reaction score
Bringing in a few UDFA kickers worked really well when Dan Bailey won the job. He beat out a couple more UDFA kickers and I know one of them went on to kick for another team. Don’t you think it is more helpful to have the kickers in camp instead of being on another team? There is no way that Dallas can know about kickers from other teams as well as they would know them from being in camp. It is much better to choose from several kickers instead of just giving Maher the job.
Sure, it’s more helpful, but there’s 90 camp roster spots available.

I don’t think Maher believed he wasn’t competing for the job just because he was the only real kicker in camp. As an NFL player, you know you’re competing vs everyone in every camp.

csirl

Reaction score
We need Maher's long range ability right now. If we were the Patriots and only needed someone to kick xpts and short range FGs, then one of the high % inside the 40 guys would do us.

Unfortunately with our offensive problems, we need the ability to kick long range FGs, which is what Maher does well.

ryanbabs

Reaction score
There are some options out there like the young kid with the Ravens that kicks and punts well. Several teams are interested, but Dallas is not which is no surprise. What would it hurt to at least explore their options?
I believe the Vikings traded for him last week and he hasn’t done that great last I heard.