Why the "Dak is elite" narrative is so flawed

DFWJC

Reaction score
It was Patrick Crayton's Fault Romo threw an INT targeting Terry Glenn on the next play:lmao2::lmao2:
No choice really
Had to throw it in the endzone. Surprised anyone even gives that play a second thought.
Time was up, 4th down.....at least throw it in the endzone.
I guess he could just be a puss and throw it away to help his stats.

The winning play was the play before. Should have been game over.
4th down play should not have even occurred.

Either way, the outcome sucked. We can agree on that

Last edited:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Dak broke some franchise records in 2021. I'm not here to deny that. What I will deny, though, is the significance and relevance of those records.

QB stats in 2021 are very disproportionately inflated, even compared to ~15 years ago. Take a look at this:

In the 2005-2006 season

• 11 QBs passed for more than 20 TDs. One threw for 30+TDs (C. Palmer).
  • Not a single QB threw for over 4,500 yards. Only two QBs threw for over 4,000 yards.
In the 2006-2007 season
  • 10 QBs passed for more than 20 TDs. One threw for 30+TDs (P. Manning).
  • Not a single QB threw for over 4,500 yards. Only two QBs threw for over 4,000 yards.

"Greatness" is relative to the the era of NFL that a QB plays. Style of play and pass-happy rules in 2021 makes the NFL a drastically different league than it was even 15 years ago.

In the 2021-2022 season
  • 19 QBs passed for more than 20 TDs. 9 threw for 30+TDs.
  • 6 QBs threw for over 4,500 yards. 10 QBs threw for over 4,000 yards.
And for those who will invariably try to "get me" by pointing out the 17 game schedule this year, more QBs threw for 30+ TDs in 2020 than 2021 and more QBs threw for over 4,000 yards in 2020 than 2021.

If he were teleported to 2005 and became the Cowboys starting QB, Dak would throw for 19 TDs and ~3,400 yards. That's just the reality. He'd be the equivalent of Kerry Collins or Gus Frerotte. A $40 million Gus Frerotte LOL!

People need to stop conflating gaudy passing stats to greatness. Greatness is much more nuanced than the # of passing TDs a guy has. Great players have "it" when the pressure is on. Dak doesn't.

Watch this video.. it summarizes what I'm saying very well

Dak is good, not great, and will need more help to win any kind of trophy (even a CCG) than the Jones boys are likely to give him.

I don't blame him for taking Jerry's money, though. That's on the front office, who can't distinguish between "good" and "great".

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
And according to many on here, Dak threw for more than those guys, so he must be better than them…

I have never EVER seen a poster on here say Dak is better than Manning, Brees, Farve, etc. I don't know why people allude to this mysterious mob of completely delusional Dak fans that terrorize this forum. If they exist I've never seen them.

That being said I believe your analysis is otherwise pretty spot on.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I have never EVER seen a poster on here say Dak is better than Manning, Brees, Farve, etc. I don't know why people allude to this mysterious mob of completely delusional Dak fans that terrorize this forum. If they exist I've never seen them.

LOL Prescott was being compared to Tom Brady in his first season.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
of course you will.

Maybe ESPNs made up QBR then?

11th this season

I don't like ESPNs QBR because the metrics aren't made public, from what I remember. They also had Dak Prescott at 4 in 2017. Anyone here who watched him his sophomore season knows he was not 4th best in the league. I don't disagree with him being 11th best this season, but I still question how they got to that.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Then continue staying ignorant about football. Your logic is funny, Aikman wasn't the only champion during those years - I guess John Gesek is a winner and Zack Martin is a loser.
You keep on throwing Aikman under the bus for Romo and Dak if ya want too.

Whatever helps ya cope.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He is a troll, always has been, always will be.
This place really sucks more than usual. The front page is nothing but hate threads every day.

I been staying away or they to stay away from most of them. Believe me it is better.
Let the trolls,waste their time.
I am waiting on some real news so the front page is back to 10% real news and not 100% hate threads.

The fan zone has turned into a bash Dak zone. Some fans have gotten so tired of it they’ve taken off. It’s going be a miserable offseason here if this is allowed to continue. I’ve been critical of Dak’s performance later in tbe season but there’s a difference between constructive criticism and flat out trashing a player. If I had a board I wouldn’t put up with fans with this type of agenda. I have no problem with criticism but this has gone beyond that.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Dude, do a search for “Dak elite” on here. You’ll find plenty to keep you busy. Lots of people claim he’s great and/or elite, so I brought up actual elite QBs for affect and to show how truly un-elite he is. But as others have said on here, it probably wasn’t worth my time to try and convert anybody. We’re all pretty set in our opinions toward Dak

Im really not a hater of Dak. I just wish more people would be objective in their views. I hope he proves me a fool for not believing that he’s capable to leading a deep playoff run.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You keep on throwing Aikman under the bus for Romo and Dak if ya want too.

Whatever helps ya cope.

I'm giving you examples, and since most of you haven't watched many football games outside of Cowboys games, I'm giving you a relevant player with a former Cowboys team.

But let's go with this: I guess Marino is a "loser" too. I'm sure, despite him putting up gaudy numbers beyond anyone else in the 80s, he was still just a loser - had nothing to do with him not being provided the players needed to beat a more stacked team in the Super Bowl. Nope. Just Marino being a loser all the way to the HOF.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I don't blame him for taking Jerry's money, though. That's on the front office, who can't distinguish between "good" and "great".
"Great Quarterbacks" don't start out great, they become great. And from what we've seen, it doesn't take great quarterbacks for deep runs in the playoffs. It takes a great coaching staff.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I just cannot take a Cowboys/Yankees/Lakers fan seriously.

It screams that you just like whoever is most popular and trendy.
Generally that’s a popular trait for casual and wagon fans. They’re drawn to popularity ,popular players and successful teams. Which is kinda of mystifying for this era and generation of Cowboy fans.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm giving you examples, and since most of you haven't watched many football games outside of Cowboys games, I'm giving you a relevant player with a former Cowboys team.

But let's go with this: I guess Marino is a "loser" too. I'm sure, despite him putting up gaudy numbers beyond anyone else in the 80s, he was still just a loser - had nothing to do with him not being provided the players needed to beat a more stacked team in the Super Bowl. Nope. Just Marino being a loser all the way to the HOF.
Calling professional players losers is typical trolling.

BobSacamano

Reaction score
Dude, do a search for “Dak elite” on here. You’ll find plenty to keep you busy. Lots of people claim he’s great and/or elite, so I brought up actual elite QBs for affect and to show how truly un-elite he is. But as others have said on here, it probably wasn’t worth my time to try and convert anybody. We’re all pretty set in our opinions toward Dak

Im really not a hater of Dak. I just wish more people would be objective in their views. I hope he proves me a fool for not believing that he’s capable to leading a deep playoff run.
Jwooten the objective gate keeper.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score

If you retire without ever winning the Super Bowl then what does that make you? What's the opposite of wining the Super Bowl?

Marino is a top echelon QB that was more than good enough to lead a Super Bowl winning team, but he didn't, so when it comes to actually winning Super Bowls he is a loser.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Generally that’s a popular trait for casual and wagon fans. They’re drawn to popularity ,popular players and successful teams. Which is kinda of mystifying for this era and generation of Cowboy fans.
Well, Mr. GP is an admitted Cowboys/Lakers/Yankees fan.