Why the Deebo request has me nervous

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I feel dirty about having this thought. I expressed this in another thread as sort of rambling about who Deebo would make sense to be traded to by SFO. My thought was that the Eagles were in play for this trade. This struck a nerve with my mind as I realised just how realistic this is and what this means for the Cowboys.

The NFC East is weak. We are the only team in this division right now that shows much of a threat. As it stands now, the Eagles have no WRs, but a top notch WR along with their picks would make them dangerous next year. They have the ammo (see the next point) to make this happen. The Giants have another 1st courtesy of the deal the Bears made for Fields. However, their secondary sucks, their oline sucks, and they have a ton of other weaknesses that makes this irrelevant. The Commanders are not a threat by any means.

They have 2 first round picks this year and 2 first picks next year. Their main needs are WR and oline. I don't think they keep Hurts this year. WR is probably their biggest need. Also, they have Howie Roseman. I am thinking the Eagles will trade both 1sts this year or one 1st this year and one next year for Deebo. Then, next year, they make a move for a QB when the class is better. This has all the hallmarks of an Eagles move in my view, and it'd put the division into a two team race this year and next.

What the Cowboys should do if this happens:
Firstly, the oline needs help, so that should be addressed. Secondly, we need to bolster the Dline, especially 1T. This will push the pocket and give the QB nightmares. Essentially, this builds up the defencive trench which helps the DBs that'd be tasked with covering Deebo. Thirdly, the Cowboys need to get another CB. We don't know what's going to happen with Kelvin Joseph with his situation, and I'm not sure Brown stays beyond this year. As such, we need another CB on the other side of Diggs.

I would pray they give up 2 firstt round picks and pay him 30 million per year. It would doom them for years.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Theres a whole bunch of stuff there I don’t agree with, but this is the kind of convo that will go on for pages, so I’ll just say we have a disagreement of the value a QB has to a team and what it takes to be “ready for the NFL.”
I agree that hurts will flame out. He is a running qb that lacks nfl passing abilities.

Flamma

Reaction score
All these teams paying stupid money for WRs will be unloading them in regret just like the overpaid backs a few years ago. Starting with gurley and the rams.

No way would I give any of those WRs contacts bordering on QB money unless their names were Calvin Johnson or Randy Moss.

If you can get a 1st for them, that gives you multiple first round picks, and you can draft their replacement.

kskboys

Reaction score
No way would I give any of those WRs contacts bordering on QB money unless their names were Calvin Johnson or Randy Moss.

If you can get a 1st for them, that gives you multiple first round picks, and you can draft their replacement.
Not even then. It'll leave you weak in way too many other areas.

kskboys

Reaction score
All these teams paying stupid money for WRs will be unloading them in regret just like the overpaid backs a few years ago. Starting with gurley and the rams.
Yup. And just like the overpaid CB's. It was so funny when everyone kept signing Reavis to huge money, and then couldn't get rid of him fast enough.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I feel dirty about having this thought. I expressed this in another thread as sort of rambling about who Deebo would make sense to be traded to by SFO. My thought was that the Eagles were in play for this trade. This struck a nerve with my mind as I realised just how realistic this is and what this means for the Cowboys.

The NFC East is weak. We are the only team in this division right now that shows much of a threat. As it stands now, the Eagles have no WRs, but a top notch WR along with their picks would make them dangerous next year. They have the ammo (see the next point) to make this happen. The Giants have another 1st courtesy of the deal the Bears made for Fields. However, their secondary sucks, their oline sucks, and they have a ton of other weaknesses that makes this irrelevant. The Commanders are not a threat by any means.

They have 2 first round picks this year and 2 first picks next year. Their main needs are WR and oline. I don't think they keep Hurts this year. WR is probably their biggest need. Also, they have Howie Roseman. I am thinking the Eagles will trade both 1sts this year or one 1st this year and one next year for Deebo. Then, next year, they make a move for a QB when the class is better. This has all the hallmarks of an Eagles move in my view, and it'd put the division into a two team race this year and next.

What the Cowboys should do if this happens:
Firstly, the oline needs help, so that should be addressed. Secondly, we need to bolster the Dline, especially 1T. This will push the pocket and give the QB nightmares. Essentially, this builds up the defencive trench which helps the DBs that'd be tasked with covering Deebo. Thirdly, the Cowboys need to get another CB. We don't know what's going to happen with Kelvin Joseph with his situation, and I'm not sure Brown stays beyond this year. As such, we need another CB on the other side of Diggs.
Quit being so nervoius.
Does the suit have flaps?

krk9590

Reaction score
Why is everyone talking about Deebo like he is just another WR? After they started using him as a hybrid RB/WR and moving him all over the field, they went 7-2 in the regular season and then beat us and GB before almost beating the Rams en route to a SB appearance. Did y'all not watch the game against them? He carried that offense to a W over us.

Clearly most of you didn't watch many of their games down the stretch because he carried that team to a 7-1 record in the 2nd half of the regular season (they lost to Sea without him so they went 7-2 during the stretch actually FWIW) and anyone who watched their offense prior to using him all over the field including at RB compared to the games prior will tell you it was a night and day difference. Don't believe me? Check out the stats then:

Averaged 7 attempts rushing for ~44 yards per game during the 7-1 stretch while rushing for SEVEN touchdowns. Hell, the last week of the season when they had that amazing comeback against LAR to even get in the dance, he even THREW for a touchdown on top of rushing for one and racking up 95 receiving yards. His final stat line over the 16 games he played in was 1400 yards on ONLY 77 catches (18 YPC)...768 of those yards came from YAC because he is an absolute freak with the ball in his hands. As a running back, he racked up 365 yards in only 8 games (2 attempts only prior) as I mentioned...and over half of those yards came AFTER contact. He had nearly half the yards after contact as the GOAT RB Zeke...Zeke had a YAC per attempt of 1.7 compared to 3.1 for Deebo. Point being...he wasn't just running outside the tackles over and over when they handed it to him back there. All that to say, he is one of the few weapons in this league that can absolutely carry your entire offense...I mean the man did it with Jimmy F****** G as his QB last year.

Y'all are nuts for wanting him to go to the Eagles...and I must be nuts because I would consider giving up a first next year and another the year after to acquire him. When I think about what we could do with him AND Tony Pollard with sorry washed Zeke out of the way...wow just wow.

Flamma

Reaction score
Not even then. It'll leave you weak in way too many other areas.

I don't know, I think I'd pay a HOF wide receiver. But their market value is starting to test my resolve there too.

Flamma

Reaction score
Why is everyone talking about Deebo like he is just another WR? After they started using him as a hybrid RB/WR and moving him all over the field, they went 7-2 in the regular season and then beat us and GB before almost beating the Rams en route to a SB appearance. Did y'all not watch the game against them? He carried that offense to a W over us.

Clearly most of you didn't watch many of their games down the stretch because he carried that team to a 7-1 record in the 2nd half of the regular season (they lost to Sea without him so they went 7-2 during the stretch actually FWIW) and anyone who watched their offense prior to using him all over the field including at RB compared to the games prior will tell you it was a night and day difference. Don't believe me? Check out the stats then:

Averaged 7 attempts rushing for ~44 yards per game during the 7-1 stretch while rushing for SEVEN touchdowns. Hell, the last week of the season when they had that amazing comeback against LAR to even get in the dance, he even THREW for a touchdown on top of rushing for one and racking up 95 receiving yards. His final stat line over the 16 games he played in was 1400 yards on ONLY 77 catches (18 YPC)...768 of those yards came from YAC because he is an absolute freak with the ball in his hands. As a running back, he racked up 365 yards in only 8 games (2 attempts only prior) as I mentioned...and over half of those yards came AFTER contact. He had nearly half the yards after contact as the GOAT RB Zeke...Zeke had a YAC per attempt of 1.7 compared to 3.1 for Deebo. Point being...he wasn't just running outside the tackles over and over when they handed it to him back there. All that to say, he is one of the few weapons in this league that can absolutely carry your entire offense...I mean the man did it with Jimmy F****** G as his QB last year.

Y'all are nuts for wanting him to go to the Eagles...and I must be nuts because I would consider giving up a first next year and another the year after to acquire him. When I think about what we could do with him AND Tony Pollard with sorry washed Zeke out of the way...wow just wow.

I don't doubt how good he is. He is a freak. But there's this one little detail. A lot of players can put on a show between the ages of 22 and 26. But can they repeat that between the age of 26 to 30? NFL teams can't afford to pay players for what they did in the past. They pay them for what they can do in the future. I wouldn't want to pay a WR on the decline.

Sometimes players are only 23 or 24 at the end of their rookie deals. In cases like that, and for a truly special player, I'd think differently. But Deebo is 26 now with a year left to play on his rookie contract. He'd be 28 by the time any big money extension starts.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

I don't want him to go to the Eagles. I'm just saying my mind made some connections to where this was a scarily possible move. I want nothing to do with it, but it was a thought, and it was why I posted it along with counters the Cowboys should do if it happens.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What's there to be nervous about? This team isn't capable of winning a post season game as it it. He alone wouldn't change much in the NFC least

DFWJC

Reaction score
SF made it to the NFCCG with Garropolo due to Samuel, who many here seem to think isnt much better than Hurts, so you never know.
I think a lot of people here--and around the league--think he is better than Hurts.

As for me, I think Hurts is still developing. TBD

blueblood70

Reaction score
If this was just a wild hypothetical, i can see. But how quick we forget the Eagles did this not too long ago and won a SB in 2017. The Eagles weren't a very good team in 2016 at 7-9. They get Alshon Jeffery, a couple of other players, move way up in the draft to get a QB. That's all she wrote. Dallas, coming off a 13-3 season, sat back and watched.

I'm not saying this is going to happen again, but people tend to be repetitive in what they do. The above didn't happen by accident. It was the direct result of actions taken by individuals.
no way dude lick had so much more to do with that eagles run i mean ok how far that team fell apart so quickly. Things fell in place and having he BU qb play on fore was all luck..what's foles done since wentz gone coach fired less then 3 yrs later..,had nothing to do with Offseason moves..sometimes like the Giants and eli found you can trip into a run..we havent had good luck in a payoff game in decades .,,all the calls and bad **** happen on our side its just bad joo joo.we are as talented as any of those other NFC team but just made all the mistakes..I mean that last play while not the reason we lost we se an officiating crew just be lazy not going full out to set ball they KNEW they would have too , next week the rams have an up official who usually doesn't go set the ball do the rams favor and run up to beat the back judge and set the ball..ours jogged and let fat OL beat them to the ball and get set before showing up..that some straight bullsnot brah..it shows i mean where's our breaks? we saw the saints get robbed the last few seasons Bress played in the payoffs. If they had few of those plays called correctly they would have been to few more Sbs. we just seem to be on the wrong end of many bad calls or bad luck. i mean that dez play , that odd call before the FG in 2003 with Witten getting first down on the one called short and then the FG hold issues.

Im not worried what others are doing , just play the dam games and we can debate how all the offseason contributed to it good or bad..

worrying about what might happen is futile..

quickccc

Reaction score
1) I think we already have our own version of Deebo 2.0 in Tony Pollard – but its’ a huge question and concern that we do Not have the coaches that could much better
utilize him as at or around the line player, Deebo hybrid. .

2) Has deebo even approached the coaches to attempt to use him a bit more as a traditional WR ?
or is it Deebo’s demand to fully use him as a traditional WR instead of a running hybrid ?

3) if we do what we need to do with upgrading and improving our defense in the way we need to be - i'm not worried about a Deebo heading to Eagles or Washington.
it would be more because we have a suspect run defense, poor tackling team that would allow a Deebo to have success.