Why TO's departure will make us better

JPM

Reaction score
Michael Irvin was cocky but he never crossed the line. He never spoke ill of his team in the media. He always knew who the coach was.

You mean with the drug, strippers, and white house ?

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
bbuck822;1300414 said:
Hold up. The guy gave us 13 td's despite all of his issues. I think he showed a lot of heart playing injured most of the year. I know that we need him or at least another #1 or #2. Crayton has to be our #3 or we will have some serious problems next year. TO wasn't great this season just better than average. I believe he can be better! That could mean something great on the field next season for this team! I'm already excited! Bring on the draft!

To be fair to TO, he is not Randy Moss by any means. I'm not suggesting that. But I do think his antics are distracting and I think he drops too many balls to warrant his antics.

For a team to win, you need solid leadership. TO never allows any of his coaches to be the leader. You can't discipline TO.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
JPM;1300424 said:
You mean with the drug, strippers, and white house ?

Obviously that was bad, but it's not the same as publicly questioning your coach and team. That's a lot worse in regards to team chemistry. Irvin never undermned the authority of his coach.

JPM

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1300438 said:
Obviously that was bad, but it's not the same as publicly questioning your coach and team. That's a lot worse in regards to team chemistry. Irvin never undermned the authority of his coach.

No, but he did undermine the team by getting suspended for drugs.

zeromaster

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1300382 said:
Do you think Parcells can truly be himself around TO? Have you ever coached anything? I have and I can tell you that it only takes one player to take the focus away from a group of guys. Do you think Glenn would have made his post-game comments had TO not been doing that. Whether Glenn was right is not the point. The point is the discipline on any team will slip when you have guys like TO on your team.

Then said coach isn't much of a leader if it only takes one player to undermine authority. What happened to the coach establishing who's in charge?

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
JPM;1300448 said:
No, but he did undermine the team by getting suspended for drugs.

That's true and look how bad that hurt our team that year. But also look what Irvin did after that. He quickly cleaned up his act. Irvin addressed the mistakes he made and was never a distraction after that. It was just unfortunate about his neck injury. Has TO ever made efforts to curb his behavior in the same manner Irvin did? No, TO doesn't care, that's why. Irvin was the first to apologize and you can tell he genuinely felt bad that his off-the-field trouble hurt the team. TO doesn't ever show remorse. Does he feel bad about spitting on another player? Has he apologized to Jeff Garcia and Donovan McNabb for being a jerk?

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Bill went to where TO was to greet him with a "good play" something or other during Seattle game... both will be back... both see their babies in each others eye's :lombardi:

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
zeromaster;1300462 said:
Then said coach isn't much of a leader if it only takes one player to undermine authority. What happened to the coach establishing who's in charge?

That's not fair. We both know there are players in this league that no coach can control regardless of how much they yell or discipline them. TO, Randy Moss etc. you know who they are. The only thing you can do is not recruit those players to your team.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1300463 said:

Your first post to start this thread was biased against Owens, and each of your posts since then only verified that fact.

Good luck to you since you will have to live with him being on the team next year.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1300438 said:

Maybe not, but his drug use cost us wins in 1996 and possibly another trip to a SB. Without him, we were 2-3, with him 8-3 although the last game was a write off as we didn't play half our team as it was meaningless. With him, we probably win against Indianapolis at home and maybe at Chicago to start the season. He cost us a first round bye and probably a trip to the NFC Championship game. Hell, he admits it himself.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1300490 said:
Maybe not, but his drug use cost us wins in 1996 and possibly another trip to a SB. Without him, we were 2-3, with him 8-3 although the last game was a write off as we didn't play half our team as it was meaningless. With him, we probably win against Indianapolis at home and maybe at Chicago to start the season. He cost us a first round bye and probably a trip to the NFC Championship game. Hell, he admits it himself.

When did I not acknowledge that? Read above And you have proven my point f in regards to how one player's distraction can hurt a team.

Still, Irvin was genuinely remorseful. He was aware of how his actions hurt his team. Does TO ever care when he hurts his teams. NOPE Was TO man enough to apologize to Jeff Garcia for sandbagging him in the media despite Garcia being a class act during the whole thing. Did TO acknowledge his fault for spitting on the player. No, he just lied and changed his story about how during his trash talking, his saliva touched the other player despiet admitting he had spat on him earlier.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1300503 said:
When did I not acknowledge that? Read above And you have proven my point f in regards to how one player's distraction can hurt a team.

Still, Irvin was genuinely remorseful. He was aware of how his actions hurt his team. Does TO ever care when he hurts his teams. NOPE Was TO man enough to apologize to Jeff Garcia for sandbagging him in the media despite Garcia being a class act during the whole thing. Did TO acknowledge his fault for spitting on the player. No, he just lied and changed his story about how during his trash talking, his saliva touched the other player despiet admitting he had spat on him earlier.

Yeah... well all three of TO's teams went to playoffs....

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
YoMick;1300510 said:
Yeah... well all three of TO's teams went to playoffs....

And his last team has advanced without him while his current one lost on Saturday.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1300350 said:
Sorry but Good Guys do finish first. Give me a team with great chemistry, and unselfishness and you will win everytime. I live in Arizona and I saw my Diamondbacks beat the Yankees in the 2001 World Series. They were far more talented than us but our guys played tough and stuck together as a team.

I'm sorry, but chemistry had nothing to do with Schilling and Johnson outpitching a woefully inadequate Yankee staff unless you're implying, probably correctly, that that certain members of the Diamondbacks had the right "chemistry" in their bodies.

Chemistry is the single most overrated aspect of sports. Give me vastly superior athletes and I'll beat your great chemistry team 99 out of 100 times.

Losers complain of distractions, winners just do their job.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1300503 said:
Does TO ever care when he hurts his teams. NOPE

What did he do this year to hurt the Cowboys, and explain how did it hurt us ?

Other than opinion.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;1300528 said:
What did he do this year to hurt the Cowboys, and explain how did it hurt us ?

Other than opinion.

Everything people state here is an opinion. I'm just stating mine and I have never suggested otherwise. My opinion is that he undermined Parcells authority. That never allowed Parcells to truly be himself and keep the team disciplined and focused. Again, it's just my opinion. I'm sure you have yours

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1300350 said:
Sorry but Good Guys do finish first. Give me a team with great chemistry, and unselfishness and you will win everytime. I live in Arizona and I saw my Diamondbacks beat the Yankees in the 2001 World Series. They were far more talented than us but our guys played tough and stuck together as a team.

The Diamondbacks won because Mariano didnt want the suicide of Byong Kim on his conscious. Just say thank you:D

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1300527 said:
I'm sorry, but chemistry had nothing to do with Schilling and Johnson outpitching a woefully inadequate Yankee staff unless you're implying, probably correctly, that that certain members of the Diamondbacks had the right "chemistry" in their bodies.

Chemistry is the single most overrated aspect of sports. Give me vastly superior athletes and I'll beat your great chemistry team 99 out of 100 times.

Losers complain of distractions, winners just do their job.

The last I recall, Schilling and Johnson didn't play in the outfield nor did they hit the ball. The Diamondbacks defense was amazing too. Their base play and defense in the outfield wouldn't let anyone score on them. They also had clutch hitting when they needed it.
And that Yankee staff had Andy Petite, Roger Clemens, El Duke, and Mike Mussina let alone Soriano and the others on offense. How were they inadequate?

How about the various Raiders teams of the mid 90's. They had an Olympic relay team as their receivers and they couldn't sniff the Superbowl much less a passing game aka James Trapp, Alexander Wright and James Jett. How about the Colts getting nearly shut out by the Patriots in the playoffs to their second Superbowl? Yeah, who did the Patriots start at cornerback, oh yeah, a converted receiver. Yeah, they just happened to shut down one of the most talented passing offenses in NFL history despite having a depleted secondary.

Plenty of more examples if you want

Winners are mentally tough despite their talent. Losers can have all the talent in the world but if they aren't mentally prepared, it doesn't matter (TO dropping passes)