Why TO's departure will make us better

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1300531 said:
Everything people state here is an opinion. I'm just stating mine and I have never suggested otherwise. My opinion is that he undermined Parcells authority. That never allowed Parcells to truly be himself and keep the team disciplined and focused. Again, it's just my opinion. I'm sure you have yours

And yet we were 8-4 with a chance to win the division when the defense disappeared.

I try not to have an opionion so much and just factually watch and look at what happened each week.

Your biased opinion is shining through.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;1300546 said:
And yet we were 8-4 with a chance to win the division when the defense disappeared.

I try not to have an opionion so much and just factually watch and look at what happened each week.

Your biased opinion is shining through.

So it's not your opinion that the "defense disappeared" What about the offense?

Again, the only thing you are showing is arrogance by pretending that somehow your opinon is a fact. We both have opinions but we are disagreeing. We can disagree. It's okay you know

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1300562 said:
So it's not your opinion that the "defense disappeared" What about the offense?

Again, the only thing you are showing is arrogance by pretending that somehow your opinon is a fact. We both have opinions but we are disagreeing. We can disagree. It's okay you know

Sure it's OK to disagree, but when the defense began giving up 30 pts a game and 300+ yds of offense that is not my opinion of what happened.

You can choose a different word than disappear if you want, but it still happened that way, not my opinion.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1300543 said:
The last I recall, Schilling and Johnson didn't play in the outfield nor did they hit the ball. The Diamondbacks defense was amazing too. Their base play and defense in the outfield wouldn't let anyone score on them. They also had clutch hitting when they needed it.
And that Yankee staff had Andy Petite, Roger Clemens, El Duke, and Mike Mussina let alone Soriano and the others on offense. How were they inadequate?

How about the various Raiders teams of the mid 90's. They had an Olympic relay team as their receivers and they couldn't sniff the Superbowl much less a passing game aka James Trapp, Alexander Wright and James Jett. How about the Colts getting nearly shut out by the Patriots in the playoffs to their second Superbowl? Yeah, who did the Patriots start at cornerback, oh yeah, a converted receiver. Yeah, they just happened to shut down one of the most talented passing offenses in NFL history despite having a depleted secondary.

Plenty of more examples if you want

Winners are mentally tough despite their talent. Losers can have all the talent in the world but if they aren't mentally prepared, it doesn't matter (TO dropping passes)

Schiling and Johnson didn't have to play defense or hit when they went 4-0 with an ERA in the low 1.00s. If it wasn't for Kim being a bum, it never would have gone seven games.

Besides, those two sink your "chemistry" argument in its tracks because you won't be able to find five people in baseball that would speak kindly of either Schilling or Johnson as teammates. Great big game pitchers at the time but they relied on their great arms, not their sunny dispositions with teammates, the media, fans.

With the Patriots, you seem to be confusing great coaching with "chemistry".

If you want anecdotal evidence, I can list hundreds of championship teams in every sport that had players that hated each other with a passion.

zack

Reaction score
How about finding a way to getting the best player on offense the ball. Clearly, we haven't even tapped into his talent. Go watch some film of the Eagles and 49ers and figure it out.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;1300589 said:
Sure it's OK to disagree, but when the defense began giving up 30 pts a game and 300+ yds of offense that is not my opinion of what happened.

You can choose a different word than disappear if you want, but it still happened that way, not my opinion.

And what about the interceptions and turnovers the offense gave up? You don't think the defense was put in difficult situations with the turnovers our offense gave up? You don't think that had to do with our losses as well? In our last game, Glenn fumbled a ball for a safety, Romo miffed a snap on a FG, Whitten fumbled the ball and we had exactly 168 yards passing and 116 rushing?

Trust me when I say the offense had something to do with our losing this season as well as the defense

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
zack;1300624 said:
How about finding a way to getting the best player on offense the ball. Clearly, we haven't even tapped into his talent. Go watch some film of the Eagles and 49ers and figure it out.

I figured that out during my 15 yrs of coaching, get your stars the ball.!!

Doesn't matter what sport either. (well, maybe not baseball, except for pitching :D )

I heard Pennington say that yesterday, that they quit trying to spread it around so much, and just started getting the ball to their playmakers, ... then they went 5-1.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1300635 said:
And what about the interceptions and turnovers the offense gave up? You don't think the defense was put in difficult situations with the turnovers our offense gave up? You don't think that had to do with our losses as well? In our last game, Glenn fumbled a ball for a safety, Romo miffed a snap on a FG, Whitten fumbled the ball and we had exactly 168 yards passing and 116 rushing?

Trust me when I say the offense had something to do with our losing this season as well as the defense
You got lost somewhere here.

I agree the offense stumbled too. Once again, that is not an opinion.

We weren't talking about who was most at fault, .. offense or defense.

That is not what we were talking about, I wanted you to show me where Owens hurt the Cowboys this year, and not just give opinions.

I only mentioned the defense's problem as one reason we faultered, not anything Owens did.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
We'll see what this off season does to Owens...maybe reality will set in.

He's 33 years old. He's got tons of baggage, not to include what would come w/ Dallas releasing him after just one year.

His best option is to get his crap together, accept a cut in his bonus so they can keep other guys on the team and just do what he has to do in the off season. NO more antics, no more stupidity.

The only guy that might be willing (read: dumb enough) to take Owens if Dallas lets him go would be Dan Snyder. I think even ol' Al Davis would be wise to avoid Owens.

But I like the guy. I like what he can do for the team. We'll just have to wait and see

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1300622 said:
Schiling and Johnson didn't have to play defense or hit when they went 4-0 with an ERA in the low 1.00s. If it wasn't for Kim being a bum, it never would have gone seven games.

Besides, those two sink your "chemistry" argument in its tracks because you won't be able to find five people in baseball that would speak kindly of either Schilling or Johnson as teammates.

Wrong, Schilling was very popular here. He went to high school here so the community knew him. He also was very active publicly in the community. And Schilling was the heart of that Redsox World Series team, the bloody sock etc. Schilling had a weekly segment on a radio show here. Johnson fit in well in Arizona and our clubhouse. There is a reason why we are trading for him and it's not because we are naive enough to believe he is the "old Johnson". Randy was looked up to by our young players because of his no-nonsense work ethic. He always came to play. He helped set an example in our clubhouse.

And why didn't the Yankee hitters fare better against Schilling and Johnson. You argued that talent wins out. The Yankees had some of the best hitters in the game including Jeter, Soriano and Bernie Williams to name a few. Their hitters were far better than ours in terms of talent. So your argument doesn't really hold a lot of weight.

And you act like Clemens and Petite were nothing? Both of those pitchers were still in their prime. In addition, the remaining pitchers on the Yankees lineup were better than our 3rd and 4rth pitchers? At the time, Rivera was considered the best closer ever.

We just simply outplayed a more talented team.

With the Patriots, you seem to be confusing great coaching with "chemistry".

I believe that chemistry is an offshoot of great coaching. Getting guys to play as a team will lead to great chemistry. Selecting and drafting the right players for your system leads to great chemistry. The Patriots purposefully recruit certain intellectual and personality traits that fit Bellichek's system. Contrary to what you believe, Bellichek himself admited they profile a certain personality in addition to athletic skills when recruiting. Do you think Bellichek would take a guy like TO regardless of how good he is? No

If you want anecdotal evidence, I can list hundreds of championship teams in every sport that had players that hated each other with a passion.

Yeah, why don't you give me a recent Superbowl winner in the last decade that supposedly had a bad lockerroom?

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
we Wont Know Because It Wont Happen!

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1300531 said:
Everything people state here is an opinion. I'm just stating mine and I have never suggested otherwise. My opinion is that he undermined Parcells authority. That never allowed Parcells to truly be himself and keep the team disciplined and focused. Again, it's just my opinion. I'm sure you have yours

You're wasting your time. I've come to the conclusion awhile ago we deserve Terrell Owens.

I'm use to losing anyway, what's another 3 years. We were dumb enough to sign him, might as well be equally as dumb keeping him.

Besides, don't we all enjoy watching Philadelphia succeed nowadays?

:bow:

Nothing like watching the least talented team still playing.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1300529 said:
Advanced with Garcia, the guy that TO felt was so terrible

Lets be real here. They are advancing because of Westbrook. Garcia almost started Giants game with 2 INT's

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1300688 said:
Wrong, Schilling was very popular here. He went to high school here so the community knew him. He also was very active publicly in the community. And Schilling was the heart of that Redsox World Series team, the bloody sock etc. Schilling had a weekly segment on a radio show here. Johnson fit in well in Arizona and our clubhouse. There is a reason why we are trading for him and it's not because we are naive enough to believe he is the "old Johnson". Randy was looked up to by our young players because of his no-nonsense work ethic. He always came to play. He helped set an example in our clubhouse.

And why didn't the Yankee hitters fare better against Schilling and Johnson. You argued that talent wins out. The Yankees had some of the best hitters in the game including Jeter, Soriano and Bernie Williams to name a few. Their hitters were far better than ours in terms of talent. So your argument doesn't really hold a lot of weight.

And you act like Clemens and Petite were nothing? Both of those pitchers were still in their prime. In addition, the remaining pitchers on the Yankees lineup were better than our 3rd and 4rth pitchers? At the time, Rivera was considered the best closer ever.

We just simply outplayed a more talented team.

I believe that chemistry is an offshoot of great coaching. Getting guys to play as a team will lead to great chemistry. Selecting and drafting the right players for your system leads to great chemistry. The Patriots purposefully recruit certain intellectual and personality traits that fit Bellichek's system. Contrary to what you believe, Bellichek himself admited they profile a certain personality in addition to athletic skills when recruiting. Do you think Bellichek would take a guy like TO regardless of how good he is? No

Yeah, why don't you give me a recent Superbowl winner in the last decade that supposedly had a bad lockerroom?

I know firsthand that neither is well liked in the clubhouse.

And look at the most recent Super Bowl champ. Do you think they were all peaches and cream? Two Olineman went after each other in the Strip District one night during last season. It was broken up before it got out of hand but it still showed that you don't have to like someone to work next to him.

Look at how many rings a guy like Bill Romanowski has. Might be one of the worst teammates in history. Heck he ended one guy's career with a sucker punch just for fun.

Even this year's Bears team, the number one seed, had one player punch another out.

That's a far sight worse than anything Owens has done this year.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
This morning during my 5am article reading supplied by our very own Pops, I read one article where owens came up. I can't find it now, maybe others read it also.

The writer said that James said it was a long season and that part of that was due to owens. More of the circus he creates than owens himself, is the way I took it.
If there a more players that feel that way than not, he could be being a problem, no? No team wants the media concentrating on one players antics.
No team wants to hear a guy complain every chance he gets. You can ignore it, but for how long?

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;1300744 said:
The writer said that James said it was a long season and that part of that was due to owens. More of the circus he creates than owens himself, is the way I took it.
If there a more players that feel that way than not, he could be being a problem, no? No team wants the media concentrating on one players antics.
No team wants to hear a guy complain every chance he gets. You can ignore it, but for how long?

If it read like you posted where the "more of the circus he creates than Owens himself" which interprets to "media created" then that should answer THIS question which equals no he doesnt created a problem

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
YoMick;1300755 said:
If it read like you posted where the "more of the circus he creates than Owens himself" which interprets to "media created" then that should answer THIS question which equals no he doesnt created a problem

I wish I could find it again. James was quoted. It wasn't media generated opinion. Not EVERY THING owens is. This came from a player. my point is if more players feel the same, he's a problem.

superpunk

Reaction score
Dave, I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but here it is - from the grown-up zone

James admits to T.O. toll

Asked after the game Saturday whether receiver Terrell Owens proved to be too much of a distraction to the Cowboys team, linebacker Bradie James called it something else.

"It definitely took a toll on the team after a while," James said. "Whether it was a distraction or not, every week so much was going on. The game is about production and wins, and that's what we have to do."

James added that the season felt especially long.

"Coming into training camp, it was like a zoo," he said. "You got some high-profile people on the team. All that went on. So much goes into that. It's been a long, long season. A long season."

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;1300770 said:
I wish I could find it again. James was quoted. It wasn't media generated opinion. Not EVERY THING owens is. This came from a player. my point is if more players feel the same, he's a problem.

Yeah I havent read it... but if Brady is deflecting that is not good.. he did what most did... the attention was on his poor play this week... SO... he deflected it to Owens.... typical.....

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
superpunk;1300805 said:
Dave, I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but here it is - from the grown-up zone

James admits to T.O. toll

Asked after the game Saturday whether receiver Terrell Owens proved to be too much of a distraction to the Cowboys team, linebacker Bradie James called it something else.

"It definitely took a toll on the team after a while," James said. "Whether it was a distraction or not, every week so much was going on. The game is about production and wins, and that's what we have to do."

James added that the season felt especially long.

"Coming into training camp, it was like a zoo," he said. "You got some high-profile people on the team. All that went on. So much goes into that. It's been a long, long season. A long season."

Thats it SP Thnx.