WHY we need to see Romo

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Only an idiot coach would make a move of desperation this early in the season. BP is not going to bench Bledsoe any time soon

But, surely, you see the allure of exchanging a known quantity for an relative unkown upon whom we can place all sorts of glorious expectations and fantasies?

baj1dallas

Reaction score
aikemirv said:
Great running game, great defense and a much better Oline.

That's all beside the point. The point is the QB alone doesn't have to win the Superbowl

Avenging Hayseed

Interwebs fooseball expert
Reaction score
I think this is a HUGE part of my argument for Romo so im reposting it. SORRY...LOL..... Other thing I dont get is people saying Romo's lack of experience will get him. BALONEY! Romo has had over three years at Valley ranch now, learning the offense, growing as a QB. And IMO has a pretty danged good team around him TOO. Tell ya what, thats a dayumed sight more than most 1st round hotshots get! Most 1st rounders are thrown into the mix pretty quickly, secondly, there on teams pretty devoid of talent around them or they wouldnt be high 1st round picks. Romo was brought along slowly, GROOMED, he also has a vast array of talent around him. Everything neccisary for success! We will find out VERY QUICKLY if he has what it takes. If he doesnt do it with ALL THESE ADVANTAGES, he never will...

aikemirv

Reaction score
Stautner said:
It is that hard to understand. If it was late in the season and we knew where we stood for the year it would be one thing, but what if Romo can't handle it ...... most of us are't willing to throw in the towel this early.

I'm not at all saying that Romo can't handle it, and I'm not saying that Bledsoe is the best guy, but to act as if it isn't at least a tricky situation is ridiculous. How, when and if we make a change isn't a cut and dried thing.

You don't have to agree with the premise, but to say that the premise is unfounded and to call it knee jerk I think is a little unfair.

BP will have a tough decision to make if Bledsoe plays poorly Sunday and we start 0-2 IMO and judging from his PC he just might make the move earlier than later.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
The_Jackal said:
But, surely, you see the allure of exchanging a known quantity for an relative unkown upon whom we can place all sorts of glorious expectations and fantasies?

Yeah but it's irrational to do that if you think the proven quantity can still get it done. And BP knows he can still get it done. One game didn't change his mind.

And those Romo expectations are just that right now... fantasies. Some people think he's the savior around here, when in reality Romo starting is a signal that a white flag is being raised. He will only start when Bledsoe is injured or in a meaningless game. In the NFL teams very rarely pull starting QBs who can still get it done when they're contending.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The_Jackal said:

As BP described it during training camp Romo is like the new girl everyone wants to take to the dance. All the years I have followed the NFL it is pretty common to see people fall in love with a backup QB when the starter has just came off a bad game. This is nothing new but it is also not a great ideal telling your player you’re pulling the plug on the season so you can take a look at another QB and that is pretty much what you are doing when you make a move like this that early in a season.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Avenging Hayseed said:
I think this is a HUGE part of my argument for Romo so im reposting it. SORRY...LOL..... Other thing I dont get is people saying Romo's lack of experience will get him. BALONEY! Romo has had over three years at Valley ranch now, learning the offense, growing as a QB. And IMO has a pretty danged good team around him TOO. Tell ya what, thats a dayumed sight more than most 1st round hotshots get! Most 1st rounders are thrown into the mix pretty quickly, secondly, there on teams pretty devoid of talent around them or they wouldnt be high 1st round picks. Romo was brought along slowly, GROOMED, he also has a vast array of talent around him. Everything neccisary for success! We will find out VERY QUICKLY if he has what it takes. If he doesnt do it with ALL THESE ADVANTAGES, he never will...
You're obviously wanting someone to comment on this so I'll bite. EXPERIENCE is not practicing with your team. We're talking real NFL experience here, and Romo doesn't have it. You think Phillip Rivers is an experienced QB?? he's been in the Chargers system for 2 years, and is just now starting, I don't hear pundits saying he's experienced because he's been practicing for 2 years. You can't really believe that perfromance in practice is all you need to get NFL experience. You think drew henson is an NFL experienced QB??

superpunk

Reaction score
I wish I had more hands...

So I could give this thread 4 thumbs down!

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
aikemirv said:
You know what is funny about this in a way.

Brady was chosen over Bledsoe.
BS. Bledsoe couldn't play because he almost died.

LOSMAN was chosen over Bledsoe.
And Losman has been soooo awesome. If they were in contention they would rather have Bledsoe

Avenging Hayseed

Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
You're obviously wanting someone to comment on this so I'll bite. EXPERIENCE is not practicing with your team. We're talking real NFL experience here, and Romo doesn't have it. You think Phillip Rivers is an experienced QB?? he's been in the Chargers system for 2 years, and is just now starting, I don't hear pundits saying he's experienced because he's been practicing for 2 years. You can't really believe that perfromance in practice is all you need to get NFL experience. You think drew henson is an NFL experienced QB??
No, thats not what im saying AT ALL. Im saying the situation Romo is in, and for that matter Phil Rivers too, is a HUGE advantage. THAT is what im saying. BOTH QB's were groomed over the coarce of years. Both QB's have very good teams around them. BIG advantage IMO

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
As BP described it during training camp Romo is like the new girl everyone wants to take to the dance. All the years I have followed the NFL it is pretty common to see people fall in love with a backup QB when the starter has just came off a bad game. This is nothing new but it is also not a great ideal telling your player you’re pulling the plug on the season so you can take a look at another QB and that is pretty much what you are doing when you make a move like this that early in a season.
And Cowboy fans are worse than most when it comes to calling for backup QBs. Everyone wanted Walsh over Aikman, Chutch over Quincy, Henson over Vinny, and now Romo over Bledsoe. How many times have the fans been right??

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Avenging Hayseed said:
No, thats not what im saying AT ALL. Im saying the situation Romo is in, and for that matter Phil Rivers too, is a HUGE advantage. THAT is what im saying. BOTH QB's were groomed over the coarce of years. Both QB's have very good teams around them. BIG advantage IMO
Advantage over what?? A NFL QB who has started for 15 years??

I think it's an advantage over a rookie who hasn't played a game, but it's not an "advantage" over Bledsoe. And most of the time rookies are thrown in without experience, they were highly touted prospects. Rivers was one, and still sat for 2 years. Romo was undrafted.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:

I think we all know that if BP pulls Bledsoe that he will only do so if he thinks it gives the Cowboys the best chance to win.

In his PC on Monday, it did not sound like he was 100% behind the idea that Bledose was starting for sure much past the next game.

SO, I am not sure the premise that AH is stating is far off from What BP may be thinking - We know he likes Romo.

Stautner

Reaction score
aikemirv said:
You don't have to agree with the premise, but to say that the premise is unfounded and to call it knee jerk I think is a little unfair.

BP will have a tough decision to make if Bledsoe plays poorly Sunday and we start 0-2 IMO and judging from his PC he just might make the move earlier than later.

If Bledsoe continues to play poorly then making a move makes sense - for now it doesn't.

Avenging Hayseed

Reaction score
One last shot at this...LOL......Your stranded on a deserted island. Youve GOT to get out. Been there for years. You have 2 ideas in your head about how to build a small boat to get off that darned place. One idea seems safe, the other looks good on paper but is a little radical. You go with the safer of the 2. In fact, for fourteen years you try and sail the safer of the 2 out to sea and for 14 years the darned thing makes it a mile out, "just enuff to give you hope" then SINKS!:bang2: :bang2: :bang2: :bang2: I dont know about you, but after 14 years "bledsoes career length" I think I'd be willing to try the other boat, wouldnt you???????////

es22

Reaction score
Bledsoe does have limitations (if you get to him early, you mess up his mind). Romo did well during vanilla preseason. You dont want to put him in and realizing he needs more development.

Parcells knows what he has with Drew. Drew is a captain. If Romo backfires, there is no way Dallas recovers.

Drew is your ticket this year. Unless Bledsoe gets hurt, do not put Romo in (or in mop up duty).

aikemirv

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Lie.

That's a great case to cite. :rolleyes:

Bledsoe was back for the playoffs - who played in the Super Bowl.

Who was let walk the following year.

Who again was chosen over whom?

Don't call me a liar!

Losman was chosen over Bledsoe - does not say much for Bledsoe does it - It seems like a strong case to cite if you ask me!

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
aikemirv said:
In his PC on Monday, it did not sound like he was 100% behind the idea that Bledose was starting for sure much past the next game.
Like I said BP knows what he's doing with the media. He's needling Bledsoe, trying to motivate him.

Of course he doesn't know what is going to happen beyond this week. What if Bledsoe is shot by an assassin (Hayseed should be tailed...;))?? BP doesn't back himself into corners when it comes to the media. If Romo HAS to play Week 4, then he left that possibility open. That doesn't mean he's planning on it if Bledsoe has another bad game.

superpunk

Reaction score
aikemirv said:
I think we all know that if BP pulls Bledsoe that he will only do so if he thinks it gives the Cowboys the best chance to win.

SO, I am not sure the premise that AH is stating is far off from What BP may be thinking - We know he likes Romo.

Maybe I missed something, but AH is saying we should replace Bledsoe, regardless of what Bledsoe does this week, simply because it's best for the future. Sorry, Bledsoe is the best QB we've had here in close to 10 years. I'm not into pulling him because he struggled against a good team, looking injured in bad weather. If he plays poorly again, you look at it. Find out why he played poorly.

Right now, he's better than Romo. And I care about right now.