Why were WR's running open?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Based on what I saw guys were getting open because of how aggressive NY was in biting on play action. Looks to me that NY came into the game with the mindset of shutting down the run and forcing Dak to beat them and he did. Several big plays off of play action you see NY safeties and LB coming up hard as the WR or TE blows past them.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Then ask yourself, why did Dak suddenly become able to hit them? Do you think it might be because a vastly improved scheme/playcalling put his eyes in a different spot, where the WR was going to be? Think, man. It's the OC's job to put his QB in the best position to succeed. Think you might have seen some of that?
its not just one thing or the other, I think its combination of several. Kitna has been working with Dak offseason improving his mechanics and accuracy. the TD pass to Cooper was a great sample of improved accuracy, and cooper wasn't that open. the scheme helps as it provides multiple options and Dak started the game focused on his primary target but when he felt a little comfortable then started to go to his 2nd and 3rd options. plus Gallup is improved, and so is cooper as they have had a year with Dak now....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Wonder why linehan and Garrett couldn't figure out that mystery.
I think Garrett had as in the past people accused hi of being too pass happy. reports were that he wanted to replace Linehan in 2018, but Jerry intervened and kept Linehan and we know how that worked out.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dallas went 10 and 2 last year once they got Coop. That was entirely Dak figuring it out and without the kind of guidance he now has. 10-2 ain't bad. Zeke had not given them such a dominate record. Dak getting the ball to Coop gave them that dominant record. So yea Dak has shown he has the skills. Combine his skills with expert guidance and the best running back in football and the team starts to look unstoppable. It is best to base your opinion on what is happening on the field, not the opinions of this forum.
:huh:
10-2? how. we were 3-5 before coop. ended up 11-7..... must be new math

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
They played a defense designed to stop the run so Kellen passed. Sounds so logical when you say it out loud

Kinda like NE does.. They game plan according to what the defense gives them..

sean10mm

Reaction score
More fakes, more motion, more bunch/stack WR formations, selective use of zone read type plays, all designed to create mismatches and make the defense hesitate. By themselves they're nothing special - they're pretty standard everywhere outside Dallas - but a small edge for your QB or WR can be the difference between gaining 2 yards and 20 yards on a play.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
What we saw on Sunday was just the tip of the proverbial iceberg in terms of what this offense is capable of with this talent and coaching. This is a special group that has greatness ahead of them. Enjoy the ride and appreciate it for what it is. The Jones boys have finally recreated the magic formula that produces championships. Don't let Kellen Moore be pulled away by another team.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Very little.

Cobb to Beasely is an upgrade in YAC, but a downgrade in separation.

What's even funnier is the lengths some of y'all are going to in order to deny that scheme had anything to do w/ it.

Nice twist. Good grief. You must've done great in HS debate class.Not.. I believe execution had a play as well. A lot actually. Because they still couldn't run the ball for anything. Maybe the new scheme was only used for the passing game.? LOL.. In all seriousness, I don't care what it is. Dak, Scheme, Luck, whatever. As long as it works. I don't care. I hope they keep up the foot to the throat aggressive approach that they had in Game 1.

Still disagree with the Cobb/Beasely analysis. I do believe Cobb is a better WR and the return will be better with him.

Oh, And I will still say that Dak played lights out. Which is hard for a lot of folk to say in here.

kskboys

Reaction score
Nice twist. Good grief. You must've done great in HS debate class.Not.. I believe execution had a play as well. A lot actually. Because they still couldn't run the ball for anything. Maybe the new scheme was only used for the passing game.? LOL.. In all seriousness, I don't care what it is. Dak, Scheme, Luck, whatever. As long as it works. I don't care. I hope they keep up the foot to the throat aggressive approach that they had in Game 1.

Still disagree with the Cobb/Beasely analysis. I do believe Cobb is a better WR and the return will be better with him.

Oh, And I will still say that Dak played lights out. Which is hard for a lot of folk to say in here.
When you turn to personal insults, it's an indication that you're conceding a loss in the discussion. Might want to rethink that, it's a poor strategy.

Your post is all over the place. Cobb and Beasely are polar opposites. Dak was a beast.

If you don't care what it was, then why are you arguing about it? In all seriousness, you're not making a ton of sense here. Hey, we disagree, it's OK. No need to lay cheap gradeschool personal insults just because we don't agree.

kskboys

Reaction score

What I can't get is how people are not seeing how much difference Kitmo is making. It's night and day. And it's going to be really interesting when we start facing better D's.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I thought it was a great game by Moore.

However, WR's were running wide open last year against the Rams in the playoffs as well. Probably more open than yesterday.
Why wasn’t Dak able to audible out of the run call if he knew that?

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
When you turn to personal insults, it's an indication that you're conceding a loss in the discussion. Might want to rethink that, it's a poor strategy.

Your post is all over the place. Cobb and Beasely are polar opposites. Dak was a beast.

If you don't care what it was, then why are you arguing about it? In all seriousness, you're not making a ton of sense here. Hey, we disagree, it's OK. No need to lay cheap gradeschool personal insults just because we don't agree.

My lord, we have some softies in here, LOL Good grief. And, I mentioned HS , not gradeschool. But, man, no humor in this place, nevermind. Sorry.

I simply stated execution of the playcalling was a huge reason why WR's were open.. This whole thread makes no sense, especially the starter of this thread. Why WR's running open?

I make perfect sense when I think Cobb is an upgrade over Beasley. Not sure what is so difficult about that.

And Dak was great.

This is beating a dead horse. I'm out.

quickccc

Reaction score
I keep seeing this as an excuse for Dak's great game.

For the first time in forever, I saw an O scheme that took advantage of NYG's scheme of stopping the run. Why do you think Zeke only had, what was it, 11 carries? Easy, because Moore saw what they were doing and took advantage of it. As opposed to Linny simply running into the teeth of their D.

Will this keep up? I'm pretty sure it will. Moore may or not be a lot of things, but one thing he definitely is, a football brain. Dude had his own playbook "IN COLLEGE". He understands the game like no other on this staff. He gets it. You cannot teach what this kid has.

Is this premature gushing on my part? I don't think so. I saw exactly what I expected from this kid. Taking advantage of mismatches, taking advantage of opponents schemes, and hugely taking advantage of NYG's scheme to stop our running game. No longer are we going to see Zeke repeatedly running into stack boxes, no longer are we going to see our receivers running at the DB and just turning around. And now, suddenly WR's are running open, getting open as many of us thought was possible, creating the separation that is key for any QB. NO exceptions.

Welcome to the NFL coaching world, Kellen. And we look forward to when you become the HC as Garret is moved up to GM. Or whatever title he's given up top.
Jerry got this one right. I know I've bagged on Jerry many many times over the years, but I've also been ready to give him his kudos when he gets it. This is his boy, and this one couldn't have been any more in the center of the target.

Looking forward to some great football!!!! Itsa comin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm excited and trying my best to curb my enthusiasm until we prove the same vs the far better teams- as well as I want to see how we handle ourselves on the road, in loud hostile atmosphere
and how we adjust to defenses counter- schemes.

- and it helps when you have an innovative coach that is expanding RPO’s into the mix that you don’t even see the Rams do, as Dak is a threat as a ball-fake running QB, he’s a excellent ball handling can lure and fool edge rushers and oncoming tacklers, I want to think it the RPO action will be better utilized under Moore than it was with linehan. Sometimes there wasn’t enough of a variety or change up so opponents began to guess right and no longer fooled by the fakes and boot-legs and dak would run into a mack truck hit on those roll outs.
but RPO’s can be operated well and be effective with either QB play action run-scrambles … or the QB play action pass. – and whether from under the center or in shot gun.

- as far as the pass route designs, I don’t think all has been revealed yet, and I think there’s more to come in according to the plan of the games, and
the opponent team’s player personnel and scheme,. ..but I do want to believe that under Moore and his assistants, we will be implementing more bunch formations and rub routes
than what was seen under Linehan.

The better NFL coaches just seem to know how to design plays and schemes that help get their plays freed up and running on the move early ..and often .
Such that defenses feel forced to go to resort a zone scheme to better protect themselves from confusion and blown coverage assignments, .. or getting screened and knocked off their coverages.

yes, it's just one game vs a lesser challenging opponent, but its not just the route and play designs from scheme and free, that I am liking,
but its also the quicker pace, how Dak is quickly getting in and out of the huddle and into the play calling,.. how more quickly dak is reading, and getting rid of the ball from the pocket,
… and there’s much more of an emphasis on vertically pushing the ball downfield.. more of an effort to get more chunk, splash plays and over the top of defenses quick strikes.

CB61

Reaction score
That would be a very thin reason!!!!

You don't see any effect from the Kitmo coaching tree here? Really?

And of course, there is much much more to see before the final anointing, that's so obvious no need to even say it!!!
Yes I do I was being sarcastic sorry my humor can be dry sometimes definitely coaching has been better which may have been non-existent last year

kskboys

Reaction score
My lord, we have some softies in here, LOL Good grief. And, I mentioned HS , not gradeschool. But, man, no humor in this place, nevermind. Sorry.

I simply stated execution of the playcalling was a huge reason why WR's were open.. This whole thread makes no sense, especially the starter of this thread. Why WR's running open?

I make perfect sense when I think Cobb is an upgrade over Beasley. Not sure what is so difficult about that.

And Dak was great.

This is beating a dead horse. I'm out.
It's OK, dude take a xanax and calm down.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
What I can't get is how people are not seeing how much difference Kitmo is making. It's night and day. And it's going to be really interesting when we start facing better D's.
Yup, like most of these types of debates - it a combination of things...
Dak looks better pre-snap, confident and in command.
Moore - we finally got a coach that puts players in position to succeed - not just "go out and and beat your man"
O-line was great in pass protection and the giant D not so good.

Here's a nice breakdown by Voch.