Why won't Garrett call plays?

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Why? Don’t you recall how this all started with him losing play calling duties? Here’s a classic example. Anyone remember the infamous WAS game years ago? You know,instead of running the clock out before the half with a lead...he dials up a pass that Romo screws up by dumping it off behind the line to Choice,who then fumbles and changes the whole swing of the game leading to the loss. That one single play...just that one...was the difference in their whole season outcome. It changed everything. Their whole team demeanor went from upside to downside immediately thereafter and they never recovered. No,I do NOT want him involved with the offense anymore,nor any like minded people of that sort in the business

Gaede

Reaction score
I think it's because he knows he's less knowledgeable than Linehan. If he takes over, the offence will get even worse and he'll be sure to be fired.

So really, it's a combo of a few of those points

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'm not sure B & C really apply since Garrett used to call plays and it was determined someone else could do it better.

My personal two cents is the play calling has actually improved somewhat, but Dak is doing a poor job of making reads and decisions, and the O-Line is compounding that problem with poor play.
The O line is in shambles.

Ddisco22

Reaction score
I don't think there's anything more corwardly than the fact that Garrett refuses to take the reigns of a failing offense, even with his job (supposedly) on the line.

The only reasons I can see are:

A) He truly believes Linehan is doing a good job and that the offense is playing poorly only because the players suck and can't execute. (Which I think speaks to the coaching as well, but never mind that.)

B) He's perfectly happy to sit on the outside and let all the heat fall on Linehan, with the hope that he can somehow weasel out of being fired by saying he'll call plays next season and the team will improve.

C) He knows he'll likely be fired, and he wants to be able to say, "I have some innovative ideas I'd like to implement here that I never had a chance to in Dallas, my hands were tied." when he's interviewing for his next HC job.

To be clear, since some of y'all will fail to see the point, I'm not saying the team gets better with Garrett calling plays or that I believe Garrett should call plays.

I'm saying that as the leader of this team, with an offensive background, the fact that the HC stands by and let's this continue to happen week after week is a huge indictment on his ability to do his damn job.

What's your vote?

Because there is no string for calling plays, JJ cut that one
businessman-on-puppet-strings-A0C1D5.jpg

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Why? Don’t you recall how this all started with him losing play calling duties? Here’s a classic example. Anyone remember the infamous WAS game years ago? You know,instead of running the clock out before the half with a lead...he dials up a pass that Romo screws up by dumping it off behind the line to Choice,who then fumbles and changes the whole swing of the game leading to the loss. That one single play...just that one...was the difference in their whole season outcome. It changed everything. Their whole team demeanor went from upside to downside immediately thereafter and they never recovered. No,I do NOT want him involved with the offense anymore,nor any like minded people of that sort in the business
Wasn't that when he was undermining Wade? I think Wade was asked about it and he didn't know anything. lol Both should have been shown the door.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He needs to scapegoat Linehan.

This is also a good point.

If Garrett calls plays then there is really nowhere for him to hide anymore. I think the Jones's will try to protect him as much as possible and do what they did this offseason and sell us on a new Offensive coordinator like they did with the position coaches.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
D: All of the above.

He’s certainly good at looking out for himself.

I doubt you see him in the nfl again tho.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Wasn't that when he was undermining Wade? I think Wade was asked about it and he didn't know anything. lol Both should have been shown the door.
That was really just Garrett being Garrett,and he’s still Garrett today. He’s probably the only coach I’ve watched who teams can somehow manage to be inside the five or ten...and they wind up having to punt....at home. That’s a special talent of his I’ve always admired. It’s something about before halves or end of games,and red zone blunders with him. He’s just got a refined glitch touch of a true working artist. I really would like to put together a reel someday of his greatest masterpiece works.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol, you are reliable if nothing else.

I think I’m watching different games than everybody else.

Edit: note, execution goes to coaching, too, so I’m not excusing them. I’m saying the play calling isn’t the problem as much as it’s the poor execution derailing drives and causing penalties that are costing us these games. Dak’s end zone pick wasn’t the play call. The doinked fg wasn’t the play call.

Number1

Reaction score
I'm actually surprised we didn't see Linehan stripped of playcalling and his answer to Linehan calling the plays "right now" lets me know it has been a discussion.

Maybe they just haven't announced it and we see Jason with the playsheet this week.

Regardless, we know he's a terrible playcaller. Linehan is wayyyyy better then Garrett.

ummm - as a play caller JG never once finished out of the top 10 in scoring, usually with a busted OL much like this one

the last time JG called plays was 2013 - BTW, the 2013 was the worst D in Cowboys history, 3rd worse in NFL history

Tony 's season ended in game 15 throwing the winning pass to Murray, then they lost game 16 by -2 to miss the playoffs and finish 8-8

but the 2014 Boys' offense was on a per play basis one of the most efficient scoring teams ever

14th in passing yards
24th in rushing yards
32nd in plays run
5th in scoring

that's a lot of points with a busted OL and a QB many silly people swore was the problem

staubach24

Reaction score
Have him call plays!?!? How much blame can this do you expect this guy to shoulder???

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
ummm - as a play caller JG never once finished out of the top 10 in scoring, usually with a busted OL much like this one

the last time JG called plays was 2013 - BTW, the 2013 was the worst D in Cowboys history, 3rd worse in NFL history

Tony 's season ended in game 15 throwing the winning pass to Murray, then they lost game 16 by -2 to miss the playoffs and finish 8-8

but the 2014 Boys' offense was on a per play basis one of the most efficient scoring teams ever

14th in passing yards
24th in rushing yards
32nd in plays run
5th in scoring

that's a lot of points with a busted OL and a QB many silly people swore was the problem

I don't care what numbers Garrett had.

The scheme was crap. Romo was not.

Even Jerry figured that one out and got Linehan in here. If Jerry can figure it out surely you don't need to get nerdy and point to some numbers Romo inflated and just use some common sense.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't think there's anything more corwardly than the fact that Garrett refuses to take the reigns of a failing offense, even with his job (supposedly) on the line.

The only reasons I can see are:

A) He truly believes Linehan is doing a good job and that the offense is playing poorly only because the players suck and can't execute. (Which I think speaks to the coaching as well, but never mind that.)

B) He's perfectly happy to sit on the outside and let all the heat fall on Linehan, with the hope that he can somehow weasel out of being fired by saying he'll call plays next season and the team will improve.

C) He knows he'll likely be fired, and he wants to be able to say, "I have some innovative ideas I'd like to implement here that I never had a chance to in Dallas, my hands were tied." when he's interviewing for his next HC job.

To be clear, since some of y'all will fail to see the point, I'm not saying the team gets better with Garrett calling plays or that I believe Garrett should call plays.

I'm saying that as the leader of this team, with an offensive background, the fact that the HC stands by and let's this continue to happen week after week is a huge indictment on his ability to do his damn job.

What's your vote?
D) After the 2013 season, Jerry Jones pried and yanked the playcalling from Jason's clutching hands. Jason did not go willingly. Jason has no choice, the owner of the team will not let him call plays.