Why won't Garrett call plays?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I don't think there's anything more corwardly than the fact that Garrett refuses to take the reigns of a failing offense, even with his job (supposedly) on the line.

The only reasons I can see are:

A) He truly believes Linehan is doing a good job and that the offense is playing poorly only because the players suck and can't execute. (Which I think speaks to the coaching as well, but never mind that.)

B) He's perfectly happy to sit on the outside and let all the heat fall on Linehan, with the hope that he can somehow weasel out of being fired by saying he'll call plays next season and the team will improve.

C) He knows he'll likely be fired, and he wants to be able to say, "I have some innovative ideas I'd like to implement here that I never had a chance to in Dallas, my hands were tied." when he's interviewing for his next HC job.

To be clear, since some of y'all will fail to see the point, I'm not saying the team gets better with Garrett calling plays or that I believe Garrett should call plays.

I'm saying that as the leader of this team, with an offensive background, the fact that the HC stands by and let's this continue to happen week after week is a huge indictment on his ability to do his damn job.

What's your vote?
No vote here.

Garrett has been told by Jerrah what he wants from Garrett

Garrett was not successful with Miami when he came here and they were happy he moved on.

And in his brief stint as playcalling..

he sucked there, too.

So wanting Garrett to take over is a real road to ruin.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
In his almost 10 years here , he already called plays ...

He was horrid at it , and Jerrah stripped him of all calling duties .

The only thing left for Garrett is to walk out the door .

kskboys

Reaction score
ummm - as a play caller JG never once finished out of the top 10 in scoring, usually with a busted OL much like this one

the last time JG called plays was 2013 - BTW, the 2013 was the worst D in Cowboys history, 3rd worse in NFL history

Tony 's season ended in game 15 throwing the winning pass to Murray, then they lost game 16 by -2 to miss the playoffs and finish 8-8

but the 2014 Boys' offense was on a per play basis one of the most efficient scoring teams ever

14th in passing yards
24th in rushing yards
32nd in plays run
5th in scoring

that's a lot of points with a busted OL and a QB many silly people swore was the problem
What do you mean by "efficient"?

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Unbelievable , this is like finding a little kid what to do ...

well, what if he does this ... or that ? ... you think he'll be good ?

my gosh ... Garrett was never supposed to be OC , let alone HC . Jerry has paid him 6 million every year for 10 years .

Its time this team wins . Fire Garrett .

Number1

Reaction score
I don't care what numbers Garrett had.

The scheme was crap. Romo was not.

Even Jerry figured that one out and got Linehan in here. If Jerry can figure it out surely you don't need to get nerdy and point to some numbers Romo inflated and just use some common sense.

ignorant people don't like facts

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
ignorant people don't like facts

lol dude shut up.

Some people just aren't stupid enough to ignore the Tony Romo factor. Be my guest though.

If you would like to waste another season with Garrett because you think his previous passing statistics with Romo will translate to Dak then go ahead and be the ignorant one.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ah, but execution is part of playcalling/coaching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's part of coaching, not part of play calling. Unless you're suggesting they're calling plays they ought to know they can't execute. But I don't believe that's the case. We're having execution problems on pretty simple plays a lot of the time.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
It could be ..

1) Because Garrett's next job is likely to be an offensive coordinator for a team. If he calls plays now and has little success, it could impact him getting hired later.
2) He doesn't want to damage Linehan's chances of getting another job after they are all let go.
3) Jerry won't let him.
4) He's still trying to figure out those pesky time-out rules.

excellent

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It's part of coaching, not part of play calling. Unless you're suggesting they're calling plays they ought to know they can't execute. But I don't believe that's the case. We're having execution problems on pretty simple plays a lot of the time.

Well according to Jason Witten when they try to run always run between the A gaps no amount of talent is going to matter on the result of the play lol.

I wish someone made a montage of some of the stuff he was saying.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Well according to Jason Witten when they try to run always run between the A gaps no amount of talent is going to matter on the result of the play lol.

I wish someone made a montage of some of the stuff he was saying.

:hammer: Garrett's playbook is horrendous .

Whats amazing is that even his players are trashing him in national t.v.

rpntex

Reaction score
I don't think there's anything more corwardly than the fact that Garrett refuses to take the reigns of a failing offense, even with his job (supposedly) on the line.

A) He truly believes Linehan is doing a good job and that the offense is playing poorly only because the players suck and can't execute. (Which I think speaks to the coaching as well, but never mind that.)

B) He's perfectly happy to sit on the outside and let all the heat fall on Linehan, with the hope that he can somehow weasel out of being fired by saying he'll call plays next season and the team will improve.

C) He knows he'll likely be fired, and he wants to be able to say, "I have some innovative ideas I'd like to implement here that I never had a chance to in Dallas, my hands were tied." when he's interviewing for his next HC job.

To be clear, since some of y'all will fail to see the point, I'm not saying the team gets better with Garrett calling plays or that I believe Garrett should call plays.

I'm saying that as the leader of this team, with an offensive background, the fact that the HC stands by and let's this continue to happen week after week is a huge indictment on his ability to do his damn job.

What's your vote?

I don’t think B & C are even in the realm of possibility. A, on the other hand, is about the most obvious conclusion I can come to. I really think he believes Linehan is doing a good job, and it’s all a matter of execution. He played in and offense under Norv Turner, and offense that was very simple in design. But in that offense, Dallas had such an edge and talent that they just had to line up an execute. Garrett still believes in that philosophy… Do your job, do it right, and the results will take care of themselves.

Still, I am perplexed that he hasn’t taken over the playcalling duties yet. He hast to know that his job is in jeopardy. If I was in that position, I would be doing everything possible to ensure future job security. On the other hand, if I’m going to get fired, it’s going to be for doing things my way. I’m not going down or somebody else’s job performance.

CWR

Reaction score
Would the term be plausible deniability lol. He cant get rid of his scapegoat, hes gonna need him at the end of the year.

Number1

Reaction score

until this gets fixed ... it don't matter what gets called

ItzKelz

Reaction score

What's your vote?
Jason was ordered to give up play calling years ago. Until JJ orders him to take over play calling again he will not call plays. See this is an example of the dysfunction that Troy was talking about.

Dre11

Reaction score
Or he trust Linehan as he said...sheesh you people.

SSoup

Reaction score
I don't think there's anything more silly than thinking a head coach scapegoating his coordinator is the litmus test proving his mettle, and if he doesn't then it means he's a coward.

The stereotype of craven hacky head coaches who scapegoat their playcaller mid-season by taking over themselves? It's not a positive one. No matter how much you want to re-imagine that in a way that makes Garrett look worse, it doesn't make sense. Because to say that refusing to scapegoat his playcaller makes him a coward is to say that scapegoating his playcaller would be heroic. Which obviously is dumb.