Why won't Garrett call plays?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Garrett refuses to call plays because he sucks at it. He's already proven that time and again! :thumbdown:

As fondly attached as Jerry has been to Garrett from the beginning, he's the person who replaced him!
he was better than linehan and produced better results....three top 10 finishes as the OC......linehan couldnt' get it done anywhere...but then again it was garrett's choice to bring linehan

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Tony Romo was the playcaller in Garrett's 'special' years , Jerry knew this . The fans, the media, we all knew .

The most enamored man of jason garrett, pulled him off play-calling duties . That, in itself, says too much .

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I don't think there's anything more corwardly than the fact that Garrett refuses to take the reigns of a failing offense, even with his job (supposedly) on the line.

The only reasons I can see are:

A) He truly believes Linehan is doing a good job and that the offense is playing poorly only because the players suck and can't execute. (Which I think speaks to the coaching as well, but never mind that.)

B) He's perfectly happy to sit on the outside and let all the heat fall on Linehan, with the hope that he can somehow weasel out of being fired by saying he'll call plays next season and the team will improve.

C) He knows he'll likely be fired, and he wants to be able to say, "I have some innovative ideas I'd like to implement here that I never had a chance to in Dallas, my hands were tied." when he's interviewing for his next HC job.

To be clear, since some of y'all will fail to see the point, I'm not saying the team gets better with Garrett calling plays or that I believe Garrett should call plays.

I'm saying that as the leader of this team, with an offensive background, the fact that the HC stands by and let's this continue to happen week after week is a huge indictment on his ability to do his damn job.

What's your vote?

simple, he has someone to blame at the end of the year, right now he can say hey it is Linehan's game plan, not mine etc

Pants

Reaction score
Garrett passing these out around the office

its_not_me_its_you_shirt_d00c515e-cf32-4c19-8e6f-a92629823bf2_grande.jpeg

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I don't think there's anything more corwardly than the fact that Garrett refuses to take the reigns of a failing offense, even with his job (supposedly) on the line.

A) He truly believes Linehan is doing a good job and that the offense is playing poorly only because the players suck and can't execute. (Which I think speaks to the coaching as well, but never mind that.)

B) He's perfectly happy to sit on the outside and let all the heat fall on Linehan, with the hope that he can somehow weasel out of being fired by saying he'll call plays next season and the team will improve.

C) He knows he'll likely be fired, and he wants to be able to say, "I have some innovative ideas I'd like to implement here that I never had a chance to in Dallas, my hands were tied." when he's interviewing for his next HC job.

To be clear, since some of y'all will fail to see the point, I'm not saying the team gets better with Garrett calling plays or that I believe Garrett should call plays.

I'm saying that as the leader of this team, with an offensive background, the fact that the HC stands by and let's this continue to happen week after week is a huge indictment on his ability to do his damn job.

What's your vote?

Garrett is a manager. He sucks at being a OC. He has no clue at calling plays.

CB61

Reaction score

What's your vote?
One of the reasons we brought in lenihan was to give Jason Garrett more time and ability to focus on the whole team of course we all know that's gone in the toilet my question is do we really want him calling plays ??? I tend to believe he would be about as vanilla as Linehan no creativity and he has a hard time focusing on the game as it is with nothing else to do but that so I'm not sure about that but then again what do we have to lose? He definitely needs to call up to Lenahan and tell him call something different because what you're not working maybe he does this after the game and in The week leading up to the game? but he needs to do more of it in game

CB61

Reaction score
One of the reasons we brought in lenihan was to give Jason Garrett more time and ability to focus on the whole team of course we all know that's gone in the toilet my question is do we really want him calling plays ??? I tend to believe he would be about as vanilla as Linehan no creativity and he has a hard time focusing on the game as it is with nothing else to do but that so I'm not sure about that but then again what do we have to lose? He definitely needs to call up to Lenahan and tell him call something different because what you're not working maybe he does this after the game and in The week leading up to the game? but he needs to do more of it in game
Would definitely be more helpful than standing on the sidelines with that red eyed stare and that clapping that drives me crazy

glimmerman

Reaction score

What's your vote?
Going to use Linehan to keep his job and collect his 6 million for another year. And he stinks at it.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well according to Jason Witten when they try to run always run between the A gaps no amount of talent is going to matter on the result of the play lol.

I wish someone made a montage of some of the stuff he was saying.

I'd like to hear it, too. I was barely concentrating on that game because the football was so terrible, but I didn't get the sense he was blasting the coaches or the play calling. But, like I said, I might have missed it.

cml750

Reaction score
Next head coaching job????? :muttley::lmao2::lmao:

There is no chance this clown ever gets another chance on the sidelines unless some university gives him a try. He only got the job here through nepotism. If the Ravens would have hired him when they interviewed him he would not have made more than a few seasons. Once they realized he is clueless when it comes to managing games, clocks, and adjustments, they would have sent him packing. He got and keeps his current his job only because he is a favorite son of Jerry who poses zero threat of ever receiving any of the credit Jerry craves so much if we were to manage to win big.

mmohican29

Reaction score
D) He doesn't care.

This might be the correct answer.

Like any other con-man with a long stretch of good fortune, he probably knows his run is at its end, and there will be some hurtful memes and some disgust for his face- but no more than he's endured to date really.

So... what's he got to be worried about? He's made a fortune here in Dallas, he did an EXCEPTIONAL job hiding behind Tony, Jason and Dez when they were top NFL players... Big deal. Ok fine, the reality of his impossible level of suck is being exposed daily.

The gig is up, that's all.

He's in good health. He's robbed the Owner blind. He probably privately would admit he's deceived the fans for almost 10 yrs running. His "punishment": worst case scenario, is he now gets to "Ginger-bread" ***** his way into obscurity.

Or grab a cozy gig at say a Sacred Heart U, Central Connecticut, or Stony Brook or something.

If it were me, I'd probably still be smiling too. And sure why not.. clapping.

Last edited:

Number1

Reaction score
lol dude shut up.

Some people just aren't stupid enough to ignore the Tony Romo factor. Be my guest though.

If you would like to waste another season with Garrett because you think his previous passing statistics with Romo will translate to Dak then go ahead and be the ignorant one.

JG's w/l without Romo utterly sucked. I'm still ticked we didn't have decent back up. Before you blame that on JG, name the young QB who came through here and went somewhere else and succeeded.

Tony was awesome in a clean pocket, and made a lot of spectacular extended plays. IMO a HOF talent. But he had a busted OL for 6 of 9 seasons as a starter and is still having back surgeries

more facts - JJ runs the FO ... call like it is dude - that's the issue

- 12 new faces on the game day O roster
- a Dak friendly O installed in the off season - still don't know what that means
- new OLC, new WRC
- OC now in the booth relaying plays thru Kellen the QBC
- #2 pick to shore up an over paid OL, playing out of position at LG, after not resigning 2 good ones in back to back years - brilliant
- new C (sadly), new LG, new TE (but not so you can tell), new X (sort of - it's a rotation of 6 new WRs, 5 have speed, 3 have talent)
- no Witten (some are stupid enough to ignore losing a HOFer at TE)

That's called planned rebuilding. Garrett nor Dak will be fired.

Scott may get fired, and Dak may even get benched, it's getting ugly 50 sacks in 16 games, he's losing poise (his best asset)

Here's the thing about Dak that get's me - last Sunday he threw his first dumb INT of the season - the other 4 were touch issues
28 sacks in 8 games with only one dumb INT - even if half the sacks are on him - that's still amazing
Romo went brain dead regularly until his 4th season

I did not expect better than 4-4 at mid season - but the performance or rather lack thereof coming out of the bye was shocking.

I don't know if he has the demeanor to turn this 2018 ship. But JG is a man who don't like sloppy (never seen him w/o a clean shave) and stresses hustle. That I respect. Some of his clock management is beyond justification. I'd have never hired JG.

But as a play caller he put up points - never missed top 10 in scoring - like 5 years straight as I recall, there are very few O coaches ever who can say that

and he did it despite the JJ factor - that's a fact

you do realize I'm not making this stuff up right?

and your comment ignored all the above

I'd rather JG call the plays than Linehan who keeps ignoring his LG and RT can't pass clock

kskboys

Reaction score
JG's w/l without Romo utterly sucked. I'm still ticked we didn't have decent back up. Before you blame that on JG, name the young QB who came through here and went somewhere else and succeeded.

Tony was awesome in a clean pocket, and made a lot of spectacular extended plays. IMO a HOF talent. But he had a busted OL for 6 of 9 seasons as a starter and is still having back surgeries

more facts - JJ runs the FO ... call like it is dude - that's the issue

- 12 new faces on the game day O roster
- a Dak friendly O installed in the off season - still don't know what that means
- new OLC, new WRC
- OC now in the booth relaying plays thru Kellen the QBC
- #2 pick to shore up an over paid OL, playing out of position at LG, after not resigning 2 good ones in back to back years - brilliant
- new C (sadly), new LG, new TE (but not so you can tell), new X (sort of - it's a rotation of 6 new WRs, 5 have speed, 3 have talent)
- no Witten (some are stupid enough to ignore losing a HOFer at TE)

That's called planned rebuilding. Garrett nor Dak will be fired.

Scott may get fired, and Dak may even get benched, it's getting ugly 50 sacks in 16 games, he's losing poise (his best asset)

Here's the thing about Dak that get's me - last Sunday he threw his first dumb INT of the season - the other 4 were touch issues
28 sacks in 8 games with only one dumb INT - even if half the sacks are on him - that's still amazing
Romo went brain dead regularly until his 4th season

I did not expect better than 4-4 at mid season - but the performance or rather lack thereof coming out of the bye was shocking.

I don't know if he has the demeanor to turn this 2018 ship. But JG is a man who don't like sloppy (never seen him w/o a clean shave) and stresses hustle. That I respect. Some of his clock management is beyond justification. I'd have never hired JG.

But as a play caller he put up points - never missed top 10 in scoring - like 5 years straight as I recall, there are very few O coaches ever who can say that

and he did it despite the JJ factor - that's a fact

you do realize I'm not making this stuff up right?

and your comment ignored all the above

I'd rather JG call the plays than Linehan who keeps ignoring his LG and RT can't pass clock
Matt Moore.

khiladi

Reaction score
Because he sucked and the only reason the offense had any real success is when Jerry banished him from play-calling.

And now with Dak, it would even be worse for Garrett, with his inability to call a run game or use play-action and rely on slow developing pass plays the majority of the game.

Apparently you forget how awful the pass blocking was and how many times this offense has free runners to the QB, because Garrett was that stupid...

khiladi

Reaction score
He made him hire somebody, but Linehan was his choice, not Jerry's.

Somebody that coached in his ‘offense’, meaning they didn’t want to change the offense, because then Garrett would have been even more useless.

khiladi

Reaction score
Wasn't that when he was undermining Wade? I think Wade was asked about it and he didn't know anything. lol Both should have been shown the door.

Actually Wade didn’t think the ‘genius’ would run a play after a ten second penalty with 4 seconds on the clock and like 60 yards to score. It’s more than understandable the idiot would know to form it, otherwise what good is he for.

kskboys

Reaction score
It's part of coaching, not part of play calling. Unless you're suggesting they're calling plays they ought to know they can't execute. But I don't believe that's the case. We're having execution problems on pretty simple plays a lot of the time.
That's on coaching, and playcalling could also play a part.

khiladi

Reaction score
he was better than linehan and produced better results....three top 10 finishes as the OC......linehan couldnt' get it done anywhere...but then again it was garrett's choice to bring linehan

Top ten finishes in yardage, mainly because teams just played cover two deep and gave them the yards between the 20s, but average to bottom half of the league in scoring the majority of time, and one of the worst red zone teams when all was said and done. Plenty of field goals and ‘points’ against garbage teams in hurry-up and abandoning Garrett game plans... they were pretty bad offensively in particular in the first half, meaning they abandoned the game plan by second half and let Romo gunsling..