Why Would Any College Player or Free Agent Want to Play in Dallas?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I can't believe you believe Jerry is actually making all the football decisions. Jerry is basically just giving his stamp of approval at this point. He is the GM in title only.
The fact he insists on remaining GM with the final say or rubber stamp says enough.

If he truly has passed the baton why not officially name his son. Pure narcissistic behavior .

So regardless if he’s making all the decisions , which we know it’s always been a situation where he has to be convinced to go against his instincts as Parcells said , he’s still the man and face of the Cowboys wanting credit as GM. So we are going to ultimately hold him responsible .

rambo2

Reaction score
I’m talking about the overall historical futility in playoffs this era. Which doesn’t mean we can’t have success moving forward .
That's because you guys ignore the recent history of the last 3 years and chose to ignore the overall total history to fit your negative agenda.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's because you guys ignore the recent history of the last 3 years and chose to ignore the overall total history to fit your negative agenda.
I see it more as a critical analysis. And I often provide accolades of our glorious history.

Unfortunately this era hasn’t followed suit becoming one of our worst and historically worst in playoff history.

The last 3 years despite the regular season success has continued this historical playoff futility .

We can hope it finally turns the corner . But we shouldn’t turn a deaf ear.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
The fact he insists on remaining GM with the final say or rubber stamp says enough.

If he truly has passed the baton why not officially name his son. Pure narcissistic behavior .

So regardless if he’s making all the decisions , which we know it’s always been a situation where he has to be convinced to go against his instincts as Parcells said , he’s still the man and face of the Cowboys wanting credit as GM. So we are going to ultimately hold him responsible .
Most people have to be convinced to go against their instincts. That's not a fault. And I don't remember Parcells ever mentioning a move he wanted to make that Jerry denied him, except maybe drafting Ware with the first pick instead of Spears. That seemed to work out.

And none of what you've said has shown how Jerry is holding this team back. Him having a big ego is not preventing this team from winning a Super Bowl. If that were the case, no teams would win a Super Bowl. All the execs have huge egos.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Most people have to be convinced to go against their instincts. That's not a fault. And I don't remember Parcells ever mentioning a move he wanted to make that Jerry denied him, except maybe drafting Ware with the first pick instead of Spears. That seemed to work out.

And none of what you've said has shown how Jerry is holding this team back. Him having a big ego is not preventing this team from winning a Super Bowl. If that were the case, no teams would win a Super Bowl. All the execs have huge egos.
Then you must have forgotten Parcells didn’t want TO? And Jethro’s meddling was arguably a big part of why Bill left early.

Jethro’s undermining his HC is arguably been noted as a contributor to the toxic culture.

While of course all owners have egos but it’s rare for it to not allow hiring a more normal FO.

TheCritic

Reaction score
The OP's question is fair. It is a mystery why the Cowboys remain so globally popular given the 29 year drought. In fact, the ratio of Cowboys haters to Cowboys fans has to be at an all time high, not to mention the love-hate relationship that Cowboys fans have with the team.

fivetwos

Reaction score
And nothing to show for it. We are the only team in NFL history to win 12 games in 3 consecutive seasons without making a championship game.

The Cowboys have lost seven straight games in the divisional round, the longest streak by any team since the merger in 1970.

5 teams have failed to play in a conference title game since 1996: the Cowboys, Texans, Browns, Dolphins and Commanders.

The Cowboys have gone one-and-done EIGHT times since 1996. The only team with more in that span is the Colts with10.

The Cowboys have made THIRTEEN straight playoff appearances without a trip to a conference championship game, the longest drought of its kind in playoff history. Yes, no other team has gone this many consecutive playoff trips without at least reaching an AFC or NFC title game.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...umbers-since-last-nfc-title-game-appearance/#
Things like this are my issue, not the lack of SB titles….not winning it all in 30 years isn’t all that uncommon.

It’s the lack of deep playoff runs that bother me. The first team to blow a one seed, then did it again. First team to lose a 2/7 game.

There’s a difference between being good enough and just getting beat on a given day vs never being good enough in the first place. Much of the regular season success feels hollow.

If they had let’s say, made a SB and lost, or got to a couple of title games and lost over that time…fine. SF has done exactly that. I’d complain a lot less if that were the case.

Also two of the five on the list of title game drought are expansion teams. Three of the other four are legit contenders and Jerry just may find himself alone atop that hill of futility before all that long. Well, maybe along with the other ‘hands on’ owner…his buddy Snyder.

It just feels like our playoff futility is about being very outcoached, and that’s all about Jerry needing someone who will let him act like the boss and face of the franchise. Doesn’t want to understand that undermining your entire staff makes a difficult job nearly impossible.

Jerry’s need to be a celebrity is the direct cause of why they can’t perform and be sufficiently prepared when the time comes. Inferior coaching. Retreads and hand picked no experience puppets.

Would Jerry even try to find a guy like the next McVay, who just may get a little too much “credit” if they actually won? Nope, you’ll get Mike Zimmer and more dated schemes…because that’s what makes Jerry “comfortable,” and all this isn’t about much more than that and stroking his ego.

A Netflix special about him being filmed during prep for a home playoff blowout loss to an inferior team that was lucky to get into the playoffs is about all anyone needs to know about explaining why winning around here just isn’t going to happen anytime soon.

But hey, 12 wins! When’s the parade for that?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Then you must have forgotten Parcells didn’t want TO? And Jethro’s meddling was arguably a big part of why Bill left early.

Jethro’s undermining his HC is arguably been noted as a contributor to the toxic culture.

While of course all owners have egos but it’s rare for it to not allow hiring a more normal FO.
I Knew Parcells was gone as soon as Jerry got T.O. Used to laugh at the way he addressed T.O. as the Player. lol

CowboysRule

Reaction score

From an article:

"While there might be a national perception that Jerry Jones calls all of the shots and doesn't listen to those around him, especially his head coach, Parcells says in his time there, that was the furthest thing from the truth, calling it a huge misperception about the Cowboys' owner and general manager."

So that's straight from Parcells saying Jones isn't constantly meddling in the coaches affairs. Jones did bring in TO who was a great player with us. When he started locker room issues he was removed from the team.

Parcells also stated his reason for leaving was because of the loss to Seattle. Nothing to do with Jones or TO.

rambo2

Reaction score

Jerry had a shot with the Dez catch. It certainly wasn't his fault that it got taken away after he made the catch and almost scored.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You realize our last glory era was with Jones as the owner, correct?
Jerry 3 last regime 2 easy mathe

Rangers 1970-2023 1 title that 52 years
Stars 1 title last one 1999
Mavs one title last one 2011

So Jery 3 DFW other 3 teams 3 hmm

odd thinking 28 years is horrible.. 49ers last sb 1994 washington longer
Chiefs 52 years between rings.

And that's barely touching the surface on going through all the major pro sports teams here in other places and looking at their droughts and how many championships they don't have literally Jerry's waiting on #4 the Cowboys are waiting on number six and I know it hurts we haven't been to a championship game in a very long time and no Super Bowls for a very long time but it is not as big a deal when you look at the big picture there are far other sports teams have had longer droughts some of them don't even have a single Super Bowl some of them have no championships when there are baseball team that had 100 years that the curse of the bambino or some nonsense like that they were something and you know what when they finally came they were pretty happy so 28 years doesn't seem like a really long time when you look at the grand scheme of things like are the Dallas Cowboys still number three all time in Super Bowls I mean how do you remain #3 if a 28 year drought is so ridiculously odd because it sounds like it's not...

rambo2

Reaction score
I see it more as a critical analysis. And I often provide accolades of our glorious history.

Unfortunately this era hasn’t followed suit becoming one of our worst and historically worst in playoff history.

The last 3 years despite the regular season success has continued this historical playoff futility .

We can hope it finally turns the corner . But we shouldn’t turn a deaf ear.
Childish name calling isn't critical analysis. Your analysis leaves out Jerry's 3 championships as owner. How does Jerry rank with the 3 Super Bowl wins? You don't leave those out.

shabazz

Reaction score
Great facilities, podcasting and sponsorship opportunities, bloated salaries, soft environment and a ready stable of the best cheerleaders for sexy time

What's to hate?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Childish name calling isn't critical analysis. Your analysis leaves out Jerry's 3 championships as owner. How does Jerry rank with the 3 Super Bowl wins? You don't leave those out.
What childhood name calling ? And I mentioned the success in glory eras which includes the teams Jimmy built under our owners watch.

But you’ve yet to address the historical futility this era in the playoffs which I’ve requested several times. I can only assume you have no comments.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
From an article:

"While there might be a national perception that Jerry Jones calls all of the shots and doesn't listen to those around him, especially his head coach, Parcells says in his time there, that was the furthest thing from the truth, calling it a huge misperception about the Cowboys' owner and general manager."

So that's straight from Parcells saying Jones isn't constantly meddling in the coaches affairs. Jones did bring in TO who was a great player with us. When he started locker room issues he was removed from the team.

Parcells also stated his reason for leaving was because of the loss to Seattle. Nothing to do with Jones or TO.
Believe what you will. I suppose you’re one of those fans who think Jethro is one of the greatest owners. And his involvement is what’s in the best interest for Cowboys Football. Lol

Fortunately I’ve never met one of of those fans here locally. They must only exist on the internet.

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score
I can't believe you believe Jerry is actually making all the football decisions. Jerry is basically just giving his stamp of approval at this point. He is the GM in title only.
Jerry made it perfectly clear who made the Trance trade decision.